Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881256 times)

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2490 on: July 05, 2012, 08:19:17 pm »

Make sure you have a chief medical dwarf, someone assigned to diagnose and maybe some tables. Also what snaake said.

MalikDama

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #2491 on: July 05, 2012, 08:51:27 pm »

Do Wheelbarrows work on stairs?

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2492 on: July 05, 2012, 09:26:23 pm »

Make sure you have a chief medical dwarf, someone assigned to diagnose and maybe some tables. Also what snaake said.
You don't need a CMD for diagnosis, or a table. The CMD activates the Health status screen so long as the CMD has Novice or better Diagnostician skill, and while you need a table for surgery (or to turn the table into a traction bench) it doesn't affect the initial diagnosis. The only thing you really need in a hospital zone is some beds, as otherwise you might find injured dwarves being deposited in beds elsewhere.

Normally I just enable all medical tasks on everybody. If Urist McSociopath doesn't want to take the job, somebody else will, and if they're really the only dwarf able to respond then the health of the patient is more important anyway.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2493 on: July 05, 2012, 09:56:02 pm »

You don't need a CMD for diagnosis, or a table. The CMD activates the Health status screen so long as the CMD has Novice or better Diagnostician skill, and while you need a table for surgery (or to turn the table into a traction bench) it doesn't affect the initial diagnosis. The only thing you really need in a hospital zone is some beds, as otherwise you might find injured dwarves being deposited in beds elsewhere.

Normally I just enable all medical tasks on everybody. If Urist McSociopath doesn't want to take the job, somebody else will, and if they're really the only dwarf able to respond then the health of the patient is more important anyway.
I've had problems in the past when I hadn't assigned a CMD but maybe that wasn't the cause.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2494 on: July 06, 2012, 05:17:17 am »

4 years now, with 180 dwarves, and over 2 million created wealth. Am I just not going to get a siege?

Sometimes they just take a long time to get to you, give it more time. If you have no sieges by year 10 you've got a reason to wonder where they are, year 4 is no reason to worry at all
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #2495 on: July 06, 2012, 05:20:33 am »

Do Wheelbarrows work on stairs?
Yes, they do!
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2496 on: July 06, 2012, 05:34:31 am »

4 years now, with 180 dwarves, and over 2 million created wealth. Am I just not going to get a siege?
Have you actually had any snatchers/ambushers show up? Is the goblin civ present in the civilizations menu? If not then you just decided to embark in an area where the goblins can't reach you. Elsewise, as Garath said, patience.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2497 on: July 06, 2012, 05:55:47 am »

There's a wildly held opinion that you should prioritize a dwarf's willingness to help others (maybe sense of duty too) over any actual existing medical knowledge when picking your doctors.

This only really holds if your dwarves have no skills in any of the medical abilities, so that having to perform medical labours won't give your dwarves unhappy thoughts (and can in fact give them good thoughts).
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

teh sam

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2498 on: July 06, 2012, 08:53:02 am »

There was an earlier question that hasn't been answered (about stagnant water) that is kind of related to a question I have.

1. I want to build my first well for a hospital and I don't want it to be stagnant.  If I connect a cistern that the well draws from to a river source (with floodgates), how long will it stay non stagnant?  Do I just periodically dump a few bits of new water to refresh it?  I thought I read that if it is at least 2 or 3 Z levels deep it would never stagnate.

2. Can I trench a bit of river and grate over it and still have fisherdwarves use it?  I am trying to have a protected fishing area.

3. Can you roof an outdoor bee area, or does that stop them from producing?

4. I have seen multiple posts about adamantine threads being used in hospitals.  Are they just making these to glitch less adamantine into more via smelting?

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2499 on: July 06, 2012, 09:25:06 am »

2. Can I trench a bit of river and grate over it and still have fisherdwarves use it?  I am trying to have a protected fishing area.

4. I have seen multiple posts about adamantine threads being used in hospitals.  Are they just making these to glitch less adamantine into more via smelting?
2. Yes. You might want to designate the grated area as a fishing zone and then set orders for Zone-only Fishing so that your fisherdwarves only use the protected area to fish.

4. No. If anything it's annoying, you lose precious adamantine strands by having those sewn into dwarves.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2500 on: July 06, 2012, 10:09:51 am »

a roof over an outdoor area will stop that area from stopping cave adjustment and rain falling on it. Trees, grass and crops grow as before

I must say I never had a well go stagnant due to simply sitting there for a long time. Usually sagnant wells were connected to issues with stagnant murky pools. If the water came from a river it should be ok. The multiple z-level thing is (I think) about the mud. Water from the lowest level of a well is "laced with mud", while the water one z-level above is not.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2501 on: July 06, 2012, 10:10:30 am »

If I connect a cistern that the well draws from to a river source (with floodgates), how long will it stay non stagnant?

Forever, if you're in 0.34.11, or whatever version fixed the viral-stagnant-water bug.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Snaake

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2502 on: July 06, 2012, 11:15:58 am »

No. What you can do, is build walls and a roof, then carve fortifications into the walls. The bees will have access to an outside area through the fortifications. Here's 1 floor of a bee tower (build 5 of those to fit 40 hives. More than 40 is less useful, hive growth starts slowing down):
Code: [Select]
#####
#HHH#
#HXH#
#HHH#
#####

# is fortifications carved into walls, H is a hive,
X is a constructed up/down stair.

Remember to build a roof above the top floor to stop flyers getting in. Access to the tower should be from below via the staircase. You generally want only 1 dwarf with beekeeping (and nothing else) on, so  a 1x1 staircase is enough.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2503 on: July 06, 2012, 11:21:40 am »

No. What you can do, is build walls and a roof, then carve fortifications into the walls. The bees will have access to an outside area through the fortifications. Here's 1 floor of a bee tower (build 5 of those to fit 40 hives. More than 40 is less useful, hive growth starts slowing down):
Code: [Select]
#####
#HHH#
#HXH#
#HHH#
#####

# is fortifications carved into walls, H is a hive,
X is a constructed up/down stair.

Remember to build a roof above the top floor to stop flyers getting in. Access to the tower should be from below via the staircase. You generally want only 1 dwarf with beekeeping (and nothing else) on, so  a 1x1 staircase is enough.

Note that beekeeping is currently mostly for flavor if you want to make mead, wax has little to no use except for crafts and there are some issues with the whole process
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 11:23:14 am by Garath »

D.L.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2504 on: July 06, 2012, 01:03:16 pm »

Invaders take the shortest route into your fort, which is exploitable by laying traps along that route. Here's my question - what target inside of the fort are they trying to path to? Do they try to path to the nearest dwarf? Or the trade depot/nearest workshop/nearest destroyable building? Lowest "inside" tile?
« Last Edit: July 06, 2012, 01:04:51 pm by D.L. »
Pages: 1 ... 165 166 [167] 168 169 ... 422