Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881158 times)

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2265 on: June 18, 2012, 12:07:33 pm »

Try to see it as an RPG backstory. Dragon meets human woodcutter. Human woodcutter hides, dragon pokes her head around a corner/tree/whatever, human whacks neck or head with axe, and by dumb luck, severs the carotid artery or hits a part of the skull where parts of it are weakly fused together. IIRC lizard skulls aren't one piece, even when they are adults.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2266 on: June 18, 2012, 02:00:45 pm »

Sorry to bring down the Q&A to more mundane subject, "A baby's been born!".
Would you know how to suppress the pause and switch to the delivery area? :)
It can be annoying when you're just in the middle of adjusting a wall at a pixel precision ;-)
(even if said baby may slaughter a dragon in his/her later life)

Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2267 on: June 18, 2012, 02:10:16 pm »

It can be annoying when you're just in the middle of adjusting a wall at a pixel precision ;-)

I think there is an 'announcement.txt' file or similar somewhere in the 'data' directory, possibly near the 'init.txt' file.  I know that's where I edit to change pausing for damp/warm stone etc.  Sorry I'm not more specific, not at my gaming computer :P

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2268 on: June 18, 2012, 02:13:36 pm »

Go into the Dwarf Fortress\data\init folder and edit the announcements.txt file in Notepad or something.  Then remove the ":P:R" from the "BIRTH_CITIZEN" entry (the "P" = pause and the "R" = recenter).
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

Argelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2269 on: June 18, 2012, 03:33:07 pm »

Thanks a lot! You may resume dragon talks, it's quite... amazing to read ;-)
Killing dwarves is so much fun. Heck, even the dwarves agree, else they wouldn't kill themselves so often.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2270 on: June 18, 2012, 07:18:13 pm »

Warning:  Turning off the baby alerts while using a danger room, can be hazardous to happiness.  Not sure what we are supposed to do, but when I get the pause, I open therapist and strip the mother of outside hauling, and give her just indoor herbie jobs, farming.  Safely far from any automated spikes.  Gets annoying with the crazy high birth rates, when fertile female pop reaches 70+, however.  I'm gonna try this too, in the next fortress I make without a danger room.  Handy tip to have.  I'm hoping Toady adds to this feature someday, and makes the snatcher alerts; pause, recenter, and ZOOM.  I can never see those little k's and g's, in fullscreen, when it does that, can you?  Takes me awhile to find what's going on.
====
Got legends viewer installed, I believe.  And moved the three important legends files and map over to its directory from the root DF directory.  But now I am getting assembly errors when I click the ... buttons to load them into the viewer.  Loading the exported region1-legends.xml is not a speedy process, gonna keep trying tonight after I craft my dinner.  These historical figures, especially the two, female dragon and Osman Bugiala, her slayer, I gotta learn all I can about. 

Does anyone know if these legend viewer assembly errors, are nuisance pop ups, that I must click through or do I have to fix them?  Prolly should fix them nonetheless, I'll ask in the official viewer thread, sorry to bother yas.  Thanks for the replies and compliment.  I'll keep ya posted on any findings.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

dexxy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2271 on: June 18, 2012, 08:16:07 pm »

I'm hoping Toady adds to this feature someday, and makes the snatcher alerts; pause, recenter, and ZOOM.  I can never see those little k's and g's, in fullscreen, when it does that, can you?  Takes me awhile to find what's going on.
press "r" for the announcements, point the arrow at the snatcher announcement, press "z" to zoom, and there is the thief.

HiEv

• Bay Watcher
  • Denizen of Counter-Earth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2272 on: June 18, 2012, 08:46:10 pm »

Got legends viewer installed, I believe.  And moved the three important legends files and map over to its directory from the root DF directory.  But now I am getting assembly errors when I click the ... buttons to load them into the viewer.  Loading the exported region1-legends.xml is not a speedy process, gonna keep trying tonight after I craft my dinner.  These historical figures, especially the two, female dragon and Osman Bugiala, her slayer, I gotta learn all I can about.

Does anyone know if these legend viewer assembly errors, are nuisance pop ups, that I must click through or do I have to fix them?  Prolly should fix them nonetheless, I'll ask in the official viewer thread, sorry to bother yas.

A new version of Legends Viewer was just released, so you might try that.  Also, you have to select both the "Legends XML / Archive" plus a "Map Image" before hitting load or it will crash on you.
The difference between intelligence and stupidity is that intelligence has its limits.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2273 on: June 18, 2012, 10:08:54 pm »

Thanks!  I've got it, and am tinkering around with the beta.. Was 5th to download it off DFFD!  Heh!

@Garath, ya know how I was confused a couple pages up, about what stopped history from advancing?  Its strictly, Megabeasts.  Not titans, and not semimegabeasts.  With the similarities in difficulty and names, I thought Toady's history might still progress along, as long as those other megafauna were in abundance.  Not so.  Turns out, it doesn't.  Take out those megabeasts, and no history advances..   :-\  It'll stop the minute 'megabeasts' death rate is achieved.  Thats of course any percentage, 0-100, if megabeast is 0.  Zero times anything is zero.

As a result of this SCIENCE, I am turning up the megabeast dial up to max right along with semi's in a 17x17, in an effort to keep age of myth going as long as possible.  To grow more dragons, and keep semi's visiting me throughout.  Hope I didn't inadvertently make fortress mode play impossible.  Haven't played it yet, so dunno.  Might have to increase world size to contain them all.  Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2274 on: June 18, 2012, 10:50:02 pm »

history advances..   :-\  It'll stop the minute 'megabeasts' death rate is achieved.  Thats of course any percentage, 0-100, if megabeast is 0.  Zero times anything is zero.

As a result of this SCIENCE, I am turning up the megabeast dial up to max right along with semi's in a 17x17, in an effort to keep age of myth going as long as possible.  To grow more dragons, and keep semi's visiting me throughout.  Hope I didn't inadvertently make fortress mode play impossible.  Haven't played it yet, so dunno.  Might have to increase world size to contain them all.  Knutor
If I understand you right you want to turn off beast stoppage. Set the beast stoppage value in advanced gen to "-1".

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2275 on: June 18, 2012, 11:08:56 pm »

or change the year to start checking to the year you want to get to anyway
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2276 on: June 19, 2012, 12:15:46 am »

@Edmus and Garath, I'm after full sized dragon logs.  To see if more die from noobie adventurer deaths.  I upp'd the megabeast count to 100,000 and ran a 17x17 and crashed.  Have to find another way.  I'll try your way, Ed.  I'll keep testing stuff, this is odd business.  Noobs shouldn't take down a mature dragon in a duel.  At least not one that is married.  He is needed in the bedroom, and shouldn't be out gallivanting across the countryside on errant quests.  Who will milk the cows?  Isn't he exerting himself elsewhere, already?  Raised some kids he did...
---
Thanks to Legend Viewer, Parker147 and HiEv's, I found a little more about the affairs of this dragon and her noobie dragonslayer. 

In 212, Faci was wounded (UNKNOWN) by the human Dunem Poolrampart. In a duel.

Dunem's skill levels, look:
Code: [Select]
Bonecarve - Novice (500)
Stonecraft - Novice (500)
Leatherwork - Novice (500)
Crossbow - Competent (2000)
Dodging - Novice (700)
Shield - Novice (700)
Armor - Novice (700)
Tracking - Great (12500)

Maybe this wound never healed.  Do they regenerate wounds or are they like D&D wounds, permenant until healed. 

Her skill levels are all similar with other dragons, her son and hubby have exactly the same numbers, look:
Situational Awareness - Talented (4500)
Dodging - Talented (4500)
Melee Combat - Talented (4500)
Ranged Combat - Talented (4500)
Grasp Strike - Talented (4500)
Bite - Talented (4500)

She committed three rampages in her long life, and killed 6 figures.  She had a dozen or more worshippers, gained in 813.  Yet Osman landed that one lucky blow in a duel, ending her long terror.  His only kill of his life, a 30some year life.  His skill levels, look:
Axe - Competent (2000)
Dodging - Novice (700)
Shield - Novice (700)
Armor - Novice (700)
Tracking - Great (11000)

They hardly compare to the meaty 4500's she has got.  Yet luck prevailed.  Cannot see his equipment.  I'll keep looking through the viewer for info on this clear oddity.  I cannot tell if the Forest he defeated her in benefited him in anyway.  Like a rain of full health booze, and/or plants of human buffed-up-ness.  He did have a ton of gods helping him.
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:22:49 am by knutor »

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2277 on: June 19, 2012, 12:51:13 am »

some wounds are permanent and will hamper them in future combat. Also note that legends show any battle as a duel, even if it was a whole city worth of guards that fought the dragon
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2278 on: June 19, 2012, 12:56:43 pm »

I had a dwarf fall down a ramp and hurt his spine on a major thoroughfare, so I decided to replace the ramp with a stair.  The down stair got built fine, but the up stair got canceled because "an item is already present."  I looked at the site and there are 2 shale and 6 dacite rocks.  I dumped them.  The dump area is right next to them.  Dwarves won't touch them.  I undumped them and made a stone pile for them.  Dwarves won't touch them.  All hauling labors are enabled on all dwarves, they just sit and stare at it, or go miles away to pick up stone from somewhere else if I build a stone pile.

EDIT:  Nevermind, they got forbidden somehow.  So the new question is:  Why? 
« Last Edit: June 19, 2012, 12:59:18 pm by Tubercular Ox »

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2279 on: June 19, 2012, 12:58:48 pm »

Sounds very much like these stones are either forbidden or are tasked to be used in another job.
(a>b) ? false : true
Pages: 1 ... 150 151 [152] 153 154 ... 422