Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881096 times)

Damdern

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2235 on: June 17, 2012, 02:16:04 am »

First time playing 0.34.11, why won't any of my military dwarves put their gauntlets, high boots and helmets on?

They don't want to take off their cloth boots/mittens/caps/whatever and put the armor on, even when I individually assign them uniforms instead of just hitting the 'Metal Armor' preset. Even when I tell them to replace their current clothes with the armor instead of putting it on over top. The only way I can get them to put armor on is if their clothes wear out.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2236 on: June 17, 2012, 02:34:01 am »

34.11: dwarves, Y U NO eat in the only designated dining room? People just go to the stockpiles and nom on my food, even with 20+ chairs and tables free at all times. Some do eat there the normal way, but they are a minority.
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2237 on: June 17, 2012, 03:25:28 am »

34.11: dwarves, Y U NO eat in the only designated dining room? People just go to the stockpiles and nom on my food, even with 20+ chairs and tables free at all times. Some do eat there the normal way, but they are a minority.
If the dining room is too far from the stockpile or the dwarves are too hungry, they'll just eat it where they are. But they will always do the drinking in the stockpile, maybe that's what you're seeing?

First time playing 0.34.11, why won't any of my military dwarves put their gauntlets, high boots and helmets on?

They don't want to take off their cloth boots/mittens/caps/whatever and put the armor on, even when I individually assign them uniforms instead of just hitting the 'Metal Armor' preset. Even when I tell them to replace their current clothes with the armor instead of putting it on over top. The only way I can get them to put armor on is if their clothes wear out.
Try m -> e -> m. Edit: No, wait. That might not work for you... I got nothing, sorry.

backora900

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2238 on: June 17, 2012, 08:10:09 am »

Adventure mode:
Is novice reader enough skill for necromancer/sorcerer/... or do you need higher level of this skill for anything at all?
Is wiki accurate that this skill can't be trained after embark?

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2239 on: June 17, 2012, 08:42:39 am »

Novice reader is enough and you can't learn it independently yet...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2240 on: June 17, 2012, 11:59:22 am »

(in 34.07)  Anyone know any reasons why I would be seeing tons of forbidden flasks/waterskins all over the place?
Dwarves need upper body clothing/armour to carry a waterskin. If they take off their tops for any reason, the waterskin drops to the floor. Giving them two upper body clothing items might cause them to move the waterskin to the thing they're still wearing, but I don't know.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2241 on: June 17, 2012, 12:07:42 pm »

(in 34.07)  Anyone know any reasons why I would be seeing tons of forbidden flasks/waterskins all over the place?
Dwarves need upper body clothing/armour to carry a waterskin. If they take off their tops for any reason, the waterskin drops to the floor. Giving them two upper body clothing items might cause them to move the waterskin to the thing they're still wearing, but I don't know.

Ahhh, thank you, this explains much!  Now just to figure out why my dwarves keep deciding to "Go Wild" in the first place :P  It's hard enough attempting to get them to put on all of their uniform without dealing with them taking off parts occasionally.  I suspect it would be because of them removing their robes whenever they get xwornx?  This would be much less of an issue if the game didn't auto-forbid the dropped waterskin.. any way to edit that through {o}rders or something?

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2242 on: June 17, 2012, 12:53:12 pm »

How do I know who has an animal assigned? I want all my archers to have exactly one war dog each. How do I recognize the dorfs who has already got one, so I don't give them two?

Oh, it is at the bottom of the interface, Forget I asked.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:11:58 pm by vonduus »
DF: where imagination beats animation

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2243 on: June 17, 2012, 01:02:46 pm »

This would be much less of an issue if the game didn't auto-forbid the dropped waterskin.. any way to edit that through {o}rders or something?
What are your death item forbid settings?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

rhesusmacabre

• Bay Watcher
  • UNDEAD-CANNOT BE ATTACKED
    • View Profile
« Reply #2244 on: June 17, 2012, 01:18:45 pm »

How do I know who has an animal assigned? I want all my archers to have exactly one war dog each. How do I recognize the dorfs who has already got one, so I don't give them two?

When you [v],[e] the dwarf, press [z],[r] to see their relationships. War beasts are classed as pets and will be listed here. This will probably include dead pets too, but they will have the "z: Zoom" greyed out.

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2245 on: June 17, 2012, 01:53:03 pm »

This would be much less of an issue if the game didn't auto-forbid the dropped waterskin.. any way to edit that through {o}rders or something?
What are your death item forbid settings?

I have it set to Forbid:
Used Ammo
Other Death Item
Your Dead
Your Death items

and only claim Other Dead automatically.  Would that be interfering with these flasks somehow?  They are all inside my fort, and dwarves haven't been dying in there...

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2246 on: June 17, 2012, 02:27:31 pm »

But they've been dropping stuff they're wearing, which generally only happens upon death. I think the game checks for death items by checking for worn items that are dropped, and the game doesn't have any code to treat waterskins differently.

This seems to be the cause of forbidden weaponry, btw. It gets 'dropped' when stuck in an enemy, never reaches the floor because the dwarf takes it back, and remains in the dwarf's inventory because worn/wielded items have no interaction with the 'forbidden' status.

DeKaFu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2247 on: June 17, 2012, 03:28:47 pm »

Is glazing still bugged to give no experience?

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #2248 on: June 17, 2012, 04:42:54 pm »

When you [v],[e] the dwarf, press [z],[r] to see their relationships. War beasts are classed as pets and will be listed here. This will probably include dead pets too, but they will have the "z: Zoom" greyed out.

Great, thanks a lot. I also found that you can see the assignments in the [z] animal list.
DF: where imagination beats animation

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2249 on: June 17, 2012, 04:43:19 pm »

My dwarves are using wheel barrels, but they are only placing one log into it then dragging it to the stockpile. How do I get them to put multiple logs into a wheel barrel.
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 422