Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881132 times)

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2280 on: June 19, 2012, 03:42:01 pm »

EDIT:  Nevermind, they got forbidden somehow.  So the new question is:  Why?
I dumped them.
That's why. Items that have been dumped are marked as forbidden.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2281 on: June 19, 2012, 04:32:44 pm »

I'm currently unable to make eitehr pig iron or steel.  I have several hundred iron bars, several hundred dolomite boulders, three things of coke (Just brought it from a caravan), and several hundred things of charcoal.  I was able to make pig iron and steel earlier, but it won't let me know. 
Also, what's the difference between a high boot and low boot?
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2282 on: June 19, 2012, 04:59:46 pm »

I'm currently unable to make eitehr pig iron or steel.  (...) I was able to make pig iron and steel earlier, but it won't let me know.

Check burrows, if smelter dwarf is assigned to one both the stockpile and the materials must be within it. Check stockpile links, if there are stockpiles set to "give" to the smelter, it will only take from those stockpiles so the materials must be in them. If the smelter is a magma one, check that it has enough magma underneath. It would be useful if you told us the actual error message, from what you say it could also be that your smelter died or is on a break.

(...) three things of coke (...) and several hundred things of charcoal.

They're burrrrrrs

Also, what's the difference between a high boot and low boot?

Both protect the feet, high boots also protect the lower legs.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2283 on: June 19, 2012, 06:29:59 pm »

I'm not getting any error messages, but the selection for pig iron at the smelter is red.  I have all the reagents, and at the bottom it has "Taks place at smelter or magma smelter" in red, and "Needs Fuel" in yellow.   It's a regular smelter, no one is assigned to the burrow, and I have iron bars, charcoal, and flux in stockpiles right next to it.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2284 on: June 19, 2012, 06:36:03 pm »

Are any of those stockpiles linked to the smelter? Are all of those stockpiles linked to the smelter?
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2285 on: June 19, 2012, 07:08:02 pm »

They weren't originally, and I ust tried to see if it would help.  Still red. 

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2286 on: June 19, 2012, 07:10:17 pm »

I'm not getting any error messages, but the selection for pig iron at the smelter is red.  I have all the reagents, and at the bottom it has "Taks place at smelter or magma smelter" in red, and "Needs Fuel" in yellow.   It's a regular smelter, no one is assigned to the burrow, and I have iron bars, charcoal, and flux in stockpiles right next to it.

There's a particular error for smelters (possibly other workshops?) where even if just the workshop itself is in a burrow which doesn't also contain all the ingredients, it can't see them.  For the "hundreds of things" issue, I think that's related to the way DF calculates amount of bars in-gamee (like how 1 thread or 1 cloth actually are measured as 1000 units or somesuch when you look at a hospital.  It does the same thing for bars, presumably because it needs gto keep track of partial soap bars)

tl;dr: Smelters acts like dwarves when a burrow overlaps them.  They won't look for materials outside of any burrow that intersects with them.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2287 on: June 19, 2012, 07:33:02 pm »

Just deleted the burrow and it's working again.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2288 on: June 19, 2012, 07:45:01 pm »

Is it me, or are burrows just plain evil? I have never seen the need to use them so far, instead I have seen dozens of people here having trouble with them.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #2289 on: June 19, 2012, 08:02:13 pm »

Is it me, or are burrows just plain evil? I have never seen the need to use them so far, instead I have seen dozens of people here having trouble with them.
The only things that I use burrows for are:
1)Military "everyone go to safety" alert. Very useful that one.
2)Ordering my military to defend the entrance or to go stand in the danger room.

Other then that I don't use burrows for anything.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2290 on: June 19, 2012, 08:23:06 pm »

I use the burrow so I can get all my dwaves in in the event of a seige. 

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2291 on: June 19, 2012, 08:28:51 pm »

I use them for general alerts and to force clearcutters to chop trees that they would take a while to get to otherwise (same principle for engravers or miners), but otherwise, no. Even for military I build chokepoints so that a station order or a selectively-placed barracks is as good as a guard order.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2292 on: June 19, 2012, 08:54:13 pm »

@LightningFalcon, your missing Flux, by the sounds of it.
@Garath, thnx, never knew DF duels were NOT 1v1.  I'm not so angry about that dead dragon, now.

Just deleted the burrow
are burrows just plain evil
I've never found a reason to set someone up as a citizen in a burrow, from within the burrow interface itself.  I find the icon/color choosing gui, a little confusing, so I just use whatever is default paint for a burrow.

I use burrows like i2amroy, via the alert interface.  To turtle up and defend murderholes. 
I add 2 medics and a nurse to the hospital burrow, when I have lotsa extra dwarfs or wounded.

If they ever work with fishing and hunting, I'll set up a hunting range too keep a hunter tucked away from sieges.  But that kind of burrow needs fixing.  Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2293 on: June 19, 2012, 09:54:50 pm »

EDIT:  Nevermind, they got forbidden somehow.  So the new question is:  Why?
I dumped them.
That's why. Items that have been dumped are marked as forbidden.

Except they never actually got dumped.  I marked them to be dumped and the dwarves ignored them.  If setting them to be dumped marks them as forbidden, shouldn't dwarves be able to dump forbidden things?  Or if they're only marked forbidden after they make it to the dump... that doesn't explain how these were forbidden.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2294 on: June 19, 2012, 10:06:36 pm »

Oh, I thought you'd been using the tile as a dump and then wanted to move the items there so you could build something else in its place. When you said 'I dumped them' I thought they were dumped, not just ordered to be dumped.

Check to see if the stones are available for use right now by trying to build something with them. If you put down a construction next to the tile with the stones on it and then expand the building list, what you should see if the stones are available is 2 shale and 6 dacite, all very close and all the same distance away from the build site.
Pages: 1 ... 151 152 [153] 154 155 ... 422