Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881152 times)

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2295 on: June 20, 2012, 06:44:12 am »

How does the population cap work?

I have it set to 25. My population was 27 when I set it as such. I have had 2 migrant waves since and am now at a population of 50. Can we pass a law or something?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2296 on: June 20, 2012, 07:41:06 am »

the liaison visits, checks pop cap and then declares a whole year of migrants yes or no when he/she leaves the map. If you change the pop cap halfway through the year, you'll still get the migrants. If you have 1 population below the cap, you'll still get all the migrants. If the liaison dies before leaving the map, you'll get migrants.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TerryDactyl

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2297 on: June 20, 2012, 07:45:56 am »

Ah-Ha! the liaison is key. Surprising, considering popcap is set externally via d_init.txt, but I am glad to know. And, given that my liaison has left just a moment ago, we'll see soon enough whether this be true.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2298 on: June 20, 2012, 10:12:01 am »

Except they never actually got dumped.  I marked them to be dumped and the dwarves ignored them.

If the game has queued up the "Dump Item" jobs, then they're marked with TSK because they're part of a pending job.  They won't be available for other jobs.

If you've marked them but the game hasn't queued up the Dump Item jobs yet (e.g. because you marked them while paused and you haven't unpaused yet), then you might be able to use one before it gets dumped, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also remember that if an item is "outside" (on a tile which is marked as above ground, maybe?) then you have to use o R o to allow dwarves to gather refuse from outside, before it can be dumped.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2299 on: June 20, 2012, 10:14:45 am »

I embarked at the ocean and while it was freezed during the winter I walled off a big part of it. My walls are actually pretty high, so no waves could probably bring water in. Then when the ice melted again I tried to pump out all the water, to make the place dry. Now whenever I stop pumping, it seems like the place is filling up with water from no obvious source.

So I wonder, how the ocean actually works. Does it need no source for water and just fills up again by itself? The walled off place has even it's on waves going on. Is there a way to dry a part of the ocean? 

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2300 on: June 20, 2012, 10:19:29 am »

any diagonals still open? shouldn't happen otherwise, source tiles are near the edge
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

Tiruin

• Bay Watcher
  • Life is too short for worries
    • View Profile
« Reply #2301 on: June 20, 2012, 10:20:33 am »

I embarked at the ocean and while it was freezed during the winter I walled off a big part of it. My walls are actually pretty high, so no waves could probably bring water in. Then when the ice melted again I tried to pump out all the water, to make the place dry. Now whenever I stop pumping, it seems like the place is filling up with water from no obvious source.

So I wonder, how the ocean actually works. Does it need no source for water and just fills up again by itself? The walled off place has even it's on waves going on. Is there a way to dry a part of the ocean?
From where I'm guessing it, ocean tiles have a special flag to them that keeps certain traits or characteristics like those waves.

And, yes on drying a part of the ocean. Drop a burning chuck of material in a metallic bin and drop that bin in the ocean. Evaporation will empty that part, but it will take long for the z-levels to empty. And your FPS if you decide to take this way.

Or...perhaps I've read yours wrong. Water spreads to any other tile if it's height is more than 1/7, so I'm guessing that you've got spillage coming from the higher tiles. Diagonals and gaps between z-levels give it off.

Code: [Select]
7/7 water example:

.  .  .                    ~  ~  ~

.  ~  .           >        ~  ~  ~

.  .  .                    ~  ~  .

And then it became 1/7 disregarding any other z-levels of water.

Edit: Garath.  :P

DTF

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2302 on: June 20, 2012, 12:17:05 pm »

Except they never actually got dumped.  I marked them to be dumped and the dwarves ignored them.

If the game has queued up the "Dump Item" jobs, then they're marked with TSK because they're part of a pending job.  They won't be available for other jobs.

If you've marked them but the game hasn't queued up the Dump Item jobs yet (e.g. because you marked them while paused and you haven't unpaused yet), then you might be able to use one before it gets dumped, but I wouldn't count on it.

Also remember that if an item is "outside" (on a tile which is marked as above ground, maybe?) then you have to use o R o to allow dwarves to gather refuse from outside, before it can be dumped.

The problem was that these stones were forbidden even before he ordered them to be dumped.

Gotta love bay12. Someone asks a question, answers it himself and you still get a couple of posts with possible causes, solutions and other things to consider. The amount of helpfullness suprises me every day.
(a>b) ? false : true

Zwerg

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2303 on: June 20, 2012, 02:53:01 pm »

From where I'm guessing it, ocean tiles have a special flag to them that keeps certain traits or characteristics like those waves.

And, yes on drying a part of the ocean. Drop a burning chuck of material in a metallic bin and drop that bin in the ocean. Evaporation will empty that part, but it will take long for the z-levels to empty. And your FPS if you decide to take this way.

Or...perhaps I've read yours wrong. Water spreads to any other tile if it's height is more than 1/7, so I'm guessing that you've got spillage coming from the higher tiles. Diagonals and gaps between z-levels give it off.

Code: [Select]
7/7 water example:

.  .  .                    ~  ~  ~

.  ~  .           >        ~  ~  ~

.  .  .                    ~  ~  .

And then it became 1/7 disregarding any other z-levels of water.

Edit: Garath.  :P

One side of the walled off square was the coast when the pool filled itself up again. Now I walled off the coast side too (having a wall in front of the coast), and the pool doesn't fill anymore. Strange. It's like the waves that went out of my pumped out pool (1-2 height water) in direction of the coast came back with more water and so it filled up again, but I'm not sure. Maybe a wave can create more water than it contains in the first place?

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2304 on: June 20, 2012, 03:13:27 pm »

I'm very interested in the mechanics of skill and attribute rust, and have found no useful information in the Wiki nor google-ing:
  • Is it a constant decrease in "exp points", or a countdown to level-down?
  • Does it take more/less time for a higher-level dwarf to rust, or is it constant?
  • For some reason my legendary+5 dwarves never seemed to rust. Is this fact or delusion?
The amount of time they take to rust doesn't matter to me, only the fact that they do and the how.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2305 on: June 20, 2012, 04:52:36 pm »

I don't know all of the answers for sure, but my own experience is like this:

Once a skill hits very rusty, it will gradually lose experience points.  I'm pretty sure this is continual and slow, not some sort of time where it suddenly drops a level.

I'm pretty sure that skill level is irrelevant when it comes to rust time, but I haven't tested it for sure.  Anecdotally, I have seen what I believe were novices rusting faster than legendaries, but I think it was just my imagination.

I'm also pretty sure that dwarves will continue to collect experience past what is needed for legendary + 5, and they will only drop below legendary + 5 when their experience drops them to legendary + 4 level.  It's likely they've got oodles of buffer experience.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2306 on: June 20, 2012, 05:03:18 pm »

More skilled dwarves do take longer to start getting rusty.

I believe the level losses to be sudden and timed, based on the way that skill rates are handled in the raws, but I've never tested this beyond casual observation.
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Seikatsukan

• Bay Watcher
  • Pro magna iustitia.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2307 on: June 20, 2012, 05:06:45 pm »

I don't know all of the answers for sure, but my own experience is like this:

Once a skill hits very rusty, it will gradually lose experience points.  I'm pretty sure this is continual and slow, not some sort of time where it suddenly drops a level.

Well, that explains a lot, and is consistent with the next observation:

I'm pretty sure that skill level is irrelevant when it comes to rust time, but I haven't tested it for sure.  Anecdotally, I have seen what I believe were novices rusting faster than legendaries, but I think it was just my imagination.

At higher skill levels, more exp is required to level up. Therefore, they might have a larger "buffer" of exp. Likewise:

I'm also pretty sure that dwarves will continue to collect experience past what is needed for legendary + 5, and they will only drop below legendary + 5 when their experience drops them to legendary + 4 level.  It's likely they've got oodles of buffer experience.

This would be explained as well.
Quote from: Naryar
It's simply an escaped demon posing as a god. Still a badass killing machine, but nothing your dwarves can't handle.
Quote from: �
Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn.

Sutremaine

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:ATROCITY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2308 on: June 20, 2012, 06:22:40 pm »

Okay, bit of arena testing. I had some unexpected results that screwed up my data collection method, and that combined with the messed-up timeframe makes the results unreliable. But here's a summary, to see how it stacks up against casual observations in Fortress Mode:

Low skill levels: Fast to rust, may not see Very Rusty before losing a level
Mid skill levels: Slow to rust, become slower to become Very Rusty with higher levels
High skill levels: No rust, just level loss.

The most interesting thing I noted was that all skill levels lost a level at the same time, retaining the same level of rustiness but at their new skill level. At no time did the XP of the dwarf change from the bare minimum for that level.

It is also interesting to note that, unlike with appearance modifiers, the game will not alter the numbers you input if the earlier ones are higher than the later ones. This may be good for the OCD types who don't mind rust but hate seeing the rust reminders (especially on Novice Everything farmer-types).
I am trying to make chickens lay bees as eggs. So far it only produces a single "Tame Small Creature" when a hen lays bees.
Honestly at the time, I didn't see what could go wrong with crowding 80 military Dwarves into a small room with a necromancer for the purpose of making bacon.

Tirion

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2309 on: June 21, 2012, 08:40:45 am »

After watching a caravan guard axelord one-hit a necro siege of 50 zombies and learning that the 'attacked by the dead' thought classifies as tragedy, I decided to make a zombie-powered military training and hardening setup twisted in the likeness of a GSC silk farm. Good news is, it works and further resurrection can be shut down at will. Bad news is, some partial skeletons are left unanimated, so it's hard to calibrate the power... ugly news is, 4 or 6 zombie goblins utterly pwned my 2 bronze-clad hammerdwarves. What am I doing wrong, is hammer damage ineffective against zombie HP? They did fall to marksdwarf bone bolts easily enough. Funny thing is, a doe rabbit corpse got lodged in my fortifications, in line of sight (if I lower the bridges) to the necromancer. I wonder what will happen...
"Fools dig for water, corpses, or gold. The earth's real treasure is far deeper."
Pages: 1 ... 152 153 [154] 155 156 ... 422