Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881116 times)

Tubercular Ox

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #2220 on: June 16, 2012, 08:16:46 am »

Does minimum distace between cavern layers have any effect on pits and passages between caverns? It doesn't have to be 0 for them to happen, does it?

I'm only asking because I haven't seen a single one of those cavern (deep pits, magma pools, passages) features since I started using advanced worldgen.

I'm using advanced world gen, have the distance between layers setting on 1, and have seen one of each of those after about a dozen games.  My current game has a deep passage between the 2nd and 3rd caverns, which otherwise have 8 layers of stone between them.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2221 on: June 16, 2012, 09:54:59 am »

Dumbluck or skill?  Dumbluck, prolly.  But, I get passageways and large pools of water.  Here is the adv worldgen settings,

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Highlights: 

0 rejects.

I can usually generate a history, while watching one TV show, unless 60 of the 500 megabeasts die, then it stops earlier.  Haven't been able to determine if Titan is included in the megabeast stops(12% or 60).  Do you know if that stopgap includes Titans??  I include him, Titan to me is megafauna.

I increased my levels above ground to 30, to somewhat compensate for the new drop-kill physics. 

I care not for Titans, CSI:Armok, Werewolves, Demons, or deadly weather, so those things are off.  But, I allow for one Titan.  HEHE.  The rest piss my dwarfs off too much.

There usually is a bunch of Mountainhomes to choose from.  Something I like, at war with the Elves at the onset is something, I prefer at embark.  Elf, Traditional Enemy.

Water is guaranteed in caverns.  They are a bit more open to allow for better ranged hunting. 

If it rolls out beyond 1002, their exists a good chance to get a visit from a fully grown megabeast, dragon!  Age of Myth, forever...    Sincerely, Knutor
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #2222 on: June 16, 2012, 12:02:37 pm »

are titans still only killed during world gen by other titans? if so, they don't count to the megabeast count. Anyway, they are titans, not megabeasts, so it's most likely they don't count
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

CookieRaider

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2223 on: June 16, 2012, 01:22:43 pm »

Thanks Yovatsap and knutor

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2224 on: June 16, 2012, 01:56:03 pm »

@CookieRaider, YW! ;D

are titans still only killed during world gen by other titans? if so, they don't count to the megabeast count. Anyway, they are titans, not megabeasts, so it's most likely they don't count

I dunno what kills them.   :-[

I know the hardcap for civ sites are 120, according to the wiki.  So if I set Titan requirement to 150, they will never spawn vs the AI, and only spawn vs my embark site, once it reaches pops over 150+.  That is if the wiki is still correct.

Now that I think about it, you make good arguments for Titans not being megabeasts, Garath.  I'll tweak DF back upto [MEGABEAST_CAP:20], instead of [MEGABEAST_CAP:19].  And see how I fair.  This will give me more of an op, to get a 1000+ wyrm.   :D
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2225 on: June 16, 2012, 01:59:26 pm »

well, check the history and see if any titan ever got killed by anything but another titan, I guess. It's in the ttrope part for DF, but that doesn't mean that much (contractual boss immunity)
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2226 on: June 16, 2012, 02:13:59 pm »

well, check the history and see if any titan ever got killed by anything but another titan, I guess. It's in the ttrope part for DF, but that doesn't mean that much (contractual boss immunity)

One step ahead of ya, G.  Up'd Titan and Megabeast to 20, both, and lowered Titan spawn requirement to 100.  Gonna check when its done making history, and see how many kobold caves they obliterate, finding a lair.  12% megabeast stopgap was too low, upp'd it to 50%, should still stay in Myth Age with that, I hope.  Trying to find the sweet percentage in order to roll it somewhere between 1002-2002 years.  That'll take a few days of SCIENCE, however. 

Whats ttrope stand for?  Knutor

Yovatsap

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2227 on: June 16, 2012, 02:17:36 pm »

... In order to roll it somewhere between 1002-2002 years.
Am I the only one who plays it with 2-125 years of history? 1000 seems too much for me. Why do you do it that long?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2228 on: June 16, 2012, 02:31:53 pm »

it was supposed to be tvtrope. It's a site dedicated to collecting cliches and other recurring themes, it started from television and has now invaded games and more

here is the DF one:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/DwarfFortress?from=Main.DwarfFortress

obsessively linking to tvtropes in your posts is an offence punishable by death by plump helmet drowning
« Last Edit: June 16, 2012, 02:38:03 pm by Garath »

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2229 on: June 16, 2012, 02:38:52 pm »

it was supposed to be tvtrope. It's a site dedicated to collecting cliches and other recurring themes, it started from television and has now invaded games and more

here is the DF one:
http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/VideoGame/DwarfFortress?from=Main.DwarfFortress

obsessively linking to tvtropes in your posts is an offence punishable by death by plump helmet drowning

That's just cruel, linking to tvtropes without any kind of warning like that  ;D

knutor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2230 on: June 16, 2012, 03:14:56 pm »

Early results show:  Anything can kill Titans.  Not just other Titans.  But you were very right, Garath, they don't count as megafauna.  I miscounted um.

... In order to roll it somewhere between 1002-2002 years.
Why do you do it that long?

Mature dragons, and evolved Civ conflicts.  Like Waring Civs.  I suck at editing raws, and unless I do that, a dragon will take 1000+ years to mature.  Most Dragons die in the first 200 years, trying to claim their lairs, and establish there worshippers,  however.  By setting megabeasts to 50, 17 dragons get generated, roughly, since 1/3 of the megabeasts tend to be dragons.  With other 2 types, hydra and roc.  Of those 17, hopefully one will settle in the random world, and GROW!  Another nice thing about evolved histories, is sometimes I get an uber migrant.  But it is a real pain waiting for the history to finish, or have it stop midway.  Cannot wait for Toady to unleash the world.  That should make things interesting.  Sincerely, Knutor

Edmus

• Bay Watcher
  • Powerful toasting since 1893!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2231 on: June 16, 2012, 09:44:00 pm »

Is there a way to turn off migrants but allow child birth? I was think of killing my civ somehow, but I am unsure.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2232 on: June 16, 2012, 09:46:50 pm »

Setting your population cap to 1 (or 0, maybe) will prevent migrants, but is separate from the child cap, which determines how many children can be in your fortress at once (only limits births).  So you can set your pop cap to a very low number, but set the child cap to, say, 1000 and births will keep coming.

This only applies to your current fort of course, and won't actually help you kill off your civ.
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2233 on: June 16, 2012, 11:11:32 pm »

even if you kill your civ you'd still get the first 2 waves. if pop cap is set to 7, you're also almost guaranteed that that is it. default children setting is 100 or 10x the number of adults iirc, whichever is reached first

Xen0n

• Bay Watcher
  • Took joy in ‼SCIENCE‼ lately.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2234 on: June 17, 2012, 01:51:33 am »

(in 34.07)  Anyone know any reasons why I would be seeing tons of forbidden flasks/waterskins all over the place?  I thought it was just a few flukes, but for the past in-game year or so (around since I made a ton of waterskins to try to give to my civilian squads in an effort to eliminate drinking from barrels), I've just been seeing more and waterskins lying on the floor everywhere, forbidden.

They aren't owned by anyone, and often have some alcohol in them.  Whenever I come across some I un-forbid them.  There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason to the locations; in the dining hall, over some stockpiles, in the barracks, wherever.  Is there something I'm missing?  Perhaps my dwarves keep randomly tossing their waterskins to the ground, and then forbidding them somehow?  It seems very strange to me...

(I have all my soldiers, and civilians except for miners/woodcutters/hunters in squads set to carry any drink.  I know I've seen both soldiers and civilians with filled waterskins, but haven't been constantly checking to see if there is some trend in some group throwing them on the ground or something.)
« Last Edit: June 17, 2012, 01:53:59 am by Xen0n »
Pages: 1 ... 147 148 [149] 150 151 ... 422