Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881980 times)

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1425 on: April 25, 2012, 05:38:27 pm »

Okay, I reached the magma sea - or so I believe. It is some 120 levels down, and there is hot stone all over.

Back in 40d i dug horizontally until I hit hot stone, then ascended one level and dug again until i met hot stone, and so forth and so on until I reached a level free of hot stones. Once there, I could pretty easily determine a safe spot to channel down to the magma (after having dug out magma channels and reservoirs and all that).

But this method seems to work no more - when I channel down I just hit another layer of hot stone.  How do you manage to get through to the magma sea?
Just keep going down. If you hit semi-molten rock, go back up and dig down in a different place.

OK so I just had to abandon my last fortress because for whatever reason, the water from a FLOWING RIVER was STAGNANT. WHY!??!?
The river probably hit a murky pool, making the whole thing stagnant.
I think dwarves will drink stagnant water if it's from a well, but I'm not certain.

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1426 on: April 25, 2012, 06:29:00 pm »

Stagnant water's just a fact of life in 0.34.07.  A well built over stagnant water can still be used.  Make plenty of soap to fight infections when it's used on wounded.
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1427 on: April 26, 2012, 01:44:49 am »

Some dorfs manage to get 600 happiness... What is the recipe to achieve such a feat? How is the dynamic from this point? Will they lose it rapidly, or can they suffer lot of abuses and yet stay above 100?  :o

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1428 on: April 26, 2012, 01:59:44 am »

Some dorfs manage to get 600 happiness... What is the recipe to achieve such a feat? How is the dynamic from this point? Will they lose it rapidly, or can they suffer lot of abuses and yet stay above 100?  :o
In order to achieve extremely high levels of happiness they simply need to experience a large number of happy thoughts in a short period of time. Yes it will provide some buffer towards unhappy thoughts, but keep in mind that dwarves will naturally drift back towards the baseline of 100 happiness as their thoughts wear off, potentially planing them into unhappiness if new happy thoughts are not provided.

(Each individual thought gives a +/- to the dwarf's current happiness. This bonus/minus is then halved after .5 years, and then disappears completely after 1 year, slowly pulling dwarves back towards the baseline. There is currently no real upper bound on happiness, being only limited by how fast dwarves can experience happy thoughts. There is a sort of "soft" lower bound, in that if a dwarf has happiness lower then zero it functions for most purposes such as insanity chance identical to zero. It does take more happy thoughts to raise the dwarf from the "zero" point if the dwarf has a negative happiness though.)
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1429 on: April 26, 2012, 02:14:41 am »

Okay, I reached the magma sea - or so I believe. It is some 120 levels down, and there is hot stone all over.

Back in 40d i dug horizontally until I hit hot stone, then ascended one level and dug again until i met hot stone, and so forth and so on until I reached a level free of hot stones. Once there, I could pretty easily determine a safe spot to channel down to the magma (after having dug out magma channels and reservoirs and all that).

But this method seems to work no more - when I channel down I just hit another layer of hot stone.  How do you manage to get through to the magma sea?
Just keep going down. If you hit semi-molten rock, go back up and dig down in a different place.

Note that magma is not pressurised you can dig into it wherever you want as long as theres no horizontal path to your fort you'll be safe.
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1430 on: April 26, 2012, 02:38:07 am »

In order to achieve extremely high levels of happiness they simply need to experience a large number of happy thoughts in a short period of time. Yes it will provide some buffer towards unhappy thoughts, but keep in mind that dwarves will naturally drift back towards the baseline of 100 happiness as their thoughts wear off, potentially planing them into unhappiness if new happy thoughts are not provided.

(Each individual thought gives a +/- to the dwarf's current happiness. This bonus/minus is then halved after .5 years, and then disappears completely after 1 year, slowly pulling dwarves back towards the baseline. There is currently no real upper bound on happiness, being only limited by how fast dwarves can experience happy thoughts. There is a sort of "soft" lower bound, in that if a dwarf has happiness lower then zero it functions for most purposes such as insanity chance identical to zero. It does take more happy thoughts to raise the dwarf from the "zero" point if the dwarf has a negative happiness though.)

my experience with dwarves with happiness that high is that they had a big event some time ago: created an artifact or had a baby born. This can easily push them over 1000, I've seen 2000+ and as daily life returns to normal they'll slowly go down to their normal level of happiness.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

TigerHunter

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1431 on: April 26, 2012, 04:01:25 am »

What is in the "other" category in food stores?

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1432 on: April 26, 2012, 09:20:39 am »

I've made some custom reactions just in case i run out of stuff for my megaproject, however my oak log making reaction seems to just
be making 'logs' , anyone know how i can fix this?
Edit: A quick search of the mods forum fixed this, w00t.
what i needed was :
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 09:29:05 am by MarcAFK »
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1433 on: April 26, 2012, 12:40:47 pm »

I've made some custom reactions just in case i run out of stuff for my megaproject, however my oak log making reaction seems to just
be making 'logs' , anyone know how i can fix this?
Edit: A quick search of the mods forum fixed this, w00t.
what i needed was :
[PRODUCT:100:1:WOOD:NONE:PLANT_MAT:OAK:WOOD]

you need help to tell you that modding questions should ba asked at the modding forum. My advice is taking a keyboard and breaking it with your face. This isnt a facepalm, its a facedesk
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1434 on: April 26, 2012, 03:27:16 pm »

Any way to increase the chance of a goblin siege? I have heard it has something to do with wealth.
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..

Lorathor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1435 on: April 26, 2012, 03:35:22 pm »

I was searching for this kind of "problem" but couldn't find anything matching...

So I got pile A filled with empty barrels. I also got Pile B and C but both should "take from a pile" .
Now if I assign  B to take from A, everything is fine until I assign C to take from A, than B's assignment is deleted.

Is that a known bug?

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #1436 on: April 26, 2012, 03:43:53 pm »

Each stockpile can have at most one other stockpile taking from it.  That's just the way it works.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

Lorathor

• Escaped Lunatic
    • View Profile
« Reply #1437 on: April 26, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »

Each stockpile can have at most one other stockpile taking from it.  That's just the way it works.

Hmm,ok, didn't know that...

Would be great to have multiple piles for prepared food/booze that take from one main pile but anyway not a big problem ;)

thank you !
« Last Edit: April 26, 2012, 04:14:39 pm by Lorathor »

redsector

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1438 on: April 26, 2012, 04:21:27 pm »

Got a little question on the new animal taming system.

A giant louse wandered into one of my cage traps. I managed to tame it to semi-wild status, so far no problem. But, now what? I released it from its cage and it's currently sitting in a combined pasture/animal training zone and a trainer is assigned to it, but.. nothing happens. He's listed as having "No job" on the status screen.

I'm going to ultimately butcher the thing anyway since its maximum lifespan seems to be one year (if I got the raws right - louse has a maxage of 1:1 and this is just copied over to the giant versions, right?), but I thought I might get some more animal training skill and general knowledge on the training of giant lice out of it before I feed it to my dwarves.

What to do? Do I have to wait until it reverts to "wild" status and then just tame it again?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1439 on: April 26, 2012, 04:27:01 pm »

put it back into the cage and do that yes. How well tamed it'll be depends on both animal taming skill and the knowledge your civ/you has gathered on an animal. After having it revert to wild in it's cage a few times, you should be able to get it to (trained) Which is much more reliable than semi-wild. At that point, butcher it. Bugs live 1 year at most and thus are completely useless for anything else.
Pages: 1 ... 94 95 [96] 97 98 ... 422