Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 881981 times)

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #1410 on: April 24, 2012, 12:58:32 am »

It's a known bug
It is?  Now I feel dumb, ha.  I never saw it mentioned.  I knew about the caravan guards, from our mtn home and attacking them being bad, but not these bugged out Friendly Traders.  They were NOT part of any trade caravan.  They just showed up with migrats.  These two here, were like the 7th or 8th I've seen in this particular game.  Others died as a result of sieges.  I was impatient to get the migrants because they were just not moving.  They were plugging up things.  Now I have a mess on my hands.  Loyalty Cascade, you say.  Thanks.  I'm thinking of deleting this fortress, 7yr old fortress, but I'm not sure. 

Game bugs suck so bad.  So much time I put into this fortress, bleh!  *spit*

Update:  I just abandoned it.  Makes me puke, seeing my own soldiers in their newly designed Riot gear uniforms, killing each other as a result of a bug and not being able to do anything about it.  Some mayhem, and fights are fun to watch.  Even losing is fun.  But I don't care to waste one second watching a bugged out loyalty cascade, that was completely avoidable.  Hell the villains now don't show as unfriendlies, they still show as dorfs in my fortress.  Dorfs killing dorfs.  Boo.   I'll try re-embark in this region, sometime next month.  I dunno, I'll figure something out.

Going back to playing Tribes Ascend for a bit, til Fortress mode gets some patches.  Be gone for a bit. Knutor
« Last Edit: April 24, 2012, 01:12:25 am by knutor »
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #1411 on: April 24, 2012, 01:09:42 am »

name of the bug is, unsurprisingly, "trader bug"

sometimes they leave with the next dwarf caravan, sometimes they stay untill killed by goblins. They are excellent ambush spotters.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

knutor

• Bay Watcher
  • ..to hear the lamentation of the elves!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1412 on: April 24, 2012, 01:15:05 am »

Thanks, yeah.  They are good perimeter alarms.
"I don't often drink Mead, but when I do... I prefer Dee Eef's.  -The most interesting Dwarf in the World.  Stay thirsty, my friend.
Shark Dentistry, looking in the Raws.

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1413 on: April 24, 2012, 01:17:29 am »

DF Hack currently has a command that you can run on them while they are stuck to fix them IIRC. You ned to be on windows or linux though.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

MarcAFK

• Bay Watcher
  • [INSANITY INTENSIFIES]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1414 on: April 24, 2012, 04:16:11 am »

Loyalty cascades, working as intended.
You don't think people could be commanded to kill their own civilization without a civil war being started do you?
They're nearly as bad as badgers. Build a couple of anti-buzzard SAM sites marksdwarf towers and your fortress will look like Baghdad in 2003 from all the aerial bolt spam. You waste a lot of ammo and everything is covered in unslightly exploded buzzard bits and broken bolts.

kingubu

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1415 on: April 24, 2012, 04:20:39 am »

How do I get webbed cage traps?

Never done it but check out: http://dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2012:Giant_cave_spider for the silk farm.  You could do the same to web cages.

where do i storage metal bars in?

i have tons of bins but they dont put the bars inside the bins what to do?
Also check your (o)rders screen and make sure dwarfs are set to gather... er... minerals maybe?  I'm not looking at the screen right now.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1416 on: April 24, 2012, 10:46:55 am »

Game bugs suck so bad.  So much time I put into this fortress, bleh!  *spit*

Given the state of the game and the bugs in it, no one will think less of you if you turn on seasonal saves.  I certainly do it.  I personally just don't have the free time to start completely new forts every time a disaster happens.  I like having the 'do over' option.

The 'Friendly Traders' will head to the depot and leave the map once the dwarf caravan arrives, btw. 
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1417 on: April 24, 2012, 10:52:58 am »

not always.

to crash 'df' by yourself, use taskmanager or dfhack to close the program without saving or abandoning. "savescumming" cheat
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1418 on: April 24, 2012, 02:53:45 pm »

Does destroying large gems cause any bad thoughts to the one who cut them?

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #1419 on: April 24, 2012, 03:02:42 pm »

Does destroying large gems cause any bad thoughts to the one who cut them?
If they are considered a "masterwork" then I believe the answer is yes.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1420 on: April 24, 2012, 03:03:51 pm »

That's what I'm wondering.

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #1421 on: April 25, 2012, 09:51:18 am »

Based on Urist's 'Modest Proposal' thread where he found that atom-smashing dwarves caused no ill-thoughts for their death, I believe I saw someone post that they tried atom-smashing masterworks to see if that also avoided bad thought generation.  I can't recall if it was successful sadly, nor find the post.  Just offering it as a possibility, if you are trying to get rid of the gems.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1422 on: April 25, 2012, 11:51:36 am »

for the record, atom smashing masterworks generates bad thoughts

vonduus

• Bay Watcher
  • This is your captain speaking
    • View Profile
« Reply #1423 on: April 25, 2012, 02:08:58 pm »

Okay, I reached the magma sea - or so I believe. It is some 120 levels down, and there is hot stone all over.

Back in 40d i dug horizontally until I hit hot stone, then ascended one level and dug again until i met hot stone, and so forth and so on until I reached a level free of hot stones. Once there, I could pretty easily determine a safe spot to channel down to the magma (after having dug out magma channels and reservoirs and all that).

But this method seems to work no more - when I channel down I just hit another layer of hot stone.  How do you manage to get through to the magma sea?

DF: where imagination beats animation

Goodguy3

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1424 on: April 25, 2012, 05:26:47 pm »

OK so I just had to abandon my last fortress because for whatever reason, the water from a FLOWING RIVER was STAGNANT. WHY!??!?
It was a few moments later that my brain supplied the information that it might actually be the name for a male Ostrich..
Pages: 1 ... 93 94 [95] 96 97 ... 422