Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882311 times)

badwin

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #930 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:01 am »

How do you obtain items like shirts, tunics, etc. ? They're not listed in the leather worker or clothier, and job manager doesn't list them either. Is my only choice to trade for them? I haven't touched the clothing industry now, and it would be nice to dress them up in anything other than dresses and robes.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #931 on: March 30, 2012, 02:55:45 am »

If they're available to your civ, they will be listed in the leatherworker or clothier.  Not all clothing items are available to all civs though.
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: March 30, 2012, 03:17:11 am »

in the clothier you first have to select material and then the item. shirts, cloaks, robes, hoods, caps, gloves, mittens, dresses, trousers, socks and shoes are pretty much always available, may have missed a few.or go to the manager (j)(m) and start an order with (q) and just type in cloth, you should get a list from that.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: March 30, 2012, 07:32:33 am »

I'm confused by memorial slabs.  I have some Dwarfs I can't retrieve (too dangerous out there in haunted biome!).

So I scribe some empty slabs at the craftdwarf workshop.

1. It seems I can scribe several times for the same dwarf?

2. what to do with the written slab? I placed them with the [ b ] menu, but then I don't see anymore the name of the poor passed away dwarf.

Well, some pointers are needed. Ghosts abound!

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: March 30, 2012, 07:35:48 am »

build the slab, then expand the menu with x to find your engraved one

and yes, you can engrave hundreds of slabs for anything that died that was named, so finding the right one is a pain in the ass. 34.07 should take care of that partly. If people are missing but not reported dead it's usually difficult to get them engraved.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: March 30, 2012, 08:31:09 am »

and is the success 100% I have engraved 3 slabs for 3 dwarves but only one ghost disappeared? There is a delay, or should I engrave again?

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: March 30, 2012, 08:32:10 am »

as soon as the slab is placed it should be fine, 100% success, as long as you got the right name.

Also, 34.07!

ed boy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: March 30, 2012, 10:13:25 am »

I have a bit of a question about farming.

I'm a couple of years into my current fort, and what I'm trying to do is to get a farm plot for each of the different possilbe crops. I'm on a terrifying savanna, and there is an issue about what plants I can grow. I've been looking at the crops listed here. I've managed to embark with all the 'wet cavern' seeds, and through plant gathering I've managed to get a lot of the 'not freezing (dry)' plants. However, I haven't seen any of the 'not freezing' wet plants. However, I have seen willow trees, which are listed as being available only in wet areas. Will I be able to get my hands on a grow the 'not freezing (wet)' plants?

Werdna

• Bay Watcher
  • Mad Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: March 30, 2012, 10:37:55 am »

I have a bit of a question about farming.

I'm a couple of years into my current fort, and what I'm trying to do is to get a farm plot for each of the different possilbe crops. I'm on a terrifying savanna, and there is an issue about what plants I can grow. I've been looking at the crops listed here. I've managed to embark with all the 'wet cavern' seeds, and through plant gathering I've managed to get a lot of the 'not freezing (dry)' plants. However, I haven't seen any of the 'not freezing' wet plants. However, I have seen willow trees, which are listed as being available only in wet areas. Will I be able to get my hands on a grow the 'not freezing (wet)' plants?

Send your best Herbalist into the area where you see Willow trees, and collect plants near them, that's your best chance.  It could be that you've been gathering plants from a dry biome "tile" instead of the wet biome (do you recall if your embark had more than one biome type?)  Carefully watch what he brings back.  Another option is to get the seeds/plants via caravan by requesting whatever you don't have.  Unfortunately, the selection is often limited, but humans frequently have rat weed/fisher berries/rope reed.
ProvingGrounds was merely a setback.

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: March 30, 2012, 10:42:24 am »

Wildlife can attack forgotten beasts too. If it was a weaker one, a strong animal could conceivably kill one.

Yeah, I had another FB that... something... down there killed off (granted it was a blob of vomit, but still...), but the Beast in question just appeared in the dead list, it wasn't announced at all.

Can Forgotten Beasts enter in unannounced and stealthed? If so then that explains what happened, and that something in the caves that I can't see was able to kill two Forgotten Beasts...

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #940 on: March 30, 2012, 10:51:44 am »

Forgotten beasts aren't announced until they reach a part of the caverns you have explored.  If you haven't explored the entire caverns, you can have Forgotten Beasts wandering around that haven't been announced yet.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

MantisMan

• Bay Watcher
  • Say what you mean, mean what you say.
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: March 30, 2012, 01:55:40 pm »

How can I mod the butchering returns?I'm getting a bit nostalgic for kitten bone bolts, kitten meat, and kitten leather. Maybe kitten soap too, I haven't decided yet.

I don't see how to do it by looking in the creature raws, but I think the hint might be in the body size tags.
How I usually build my fort.
We're all secretly mantises. Except that one guy. We're trolling the shit out of him.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: March 30, 2012, 01:57:17 pm »

huge kittens! Who shrink as they grow up!

Sphalerite

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Drew's Robots and stuff
« Reply #943 on: March 30, 2012, 02:50:15 pm »

How can I mod the butchering returns?I'm getting a bit nostalgic for kitten bone bolts, kitten meat, and kitten leather. Maybe kitten soap too, I haven't decided yet.

I don't see how to do it by looking in the creature raws, but I think the hint might be in the body size tags.

The only way to do that at the moment is to increase the creature size.  To slaughter kittens, you'll need to increase the size of the cat creature at all ages to be large enough to butcher.
Any intelligent fool can make things bigger and more complex... It takes a touch of genius --- and a lot of courage to move in the opposite direction.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: March 30, 2012, 04:02:13 pm »

Why a former military reverted to civ, with a burrow restraining him to inside for good measure, continue to head toward his military gear?
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 422