Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882308 times)

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #915 on: March 29, 2012, 10:35:22 am »

Any suggestions how I canget the military to equip properly again?

Go into the military equip screen ('m' - 'e'), clear whatever it is you have set for the military to wear. Re-enter it.

Failing that, disband your military entirely, getting rid of squads, etc, and start again. Maybe it is just bugging out a bit.

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #916 on: March 29, 2012, 03:37:09 pm »

I find that wearing armor over clothing seems to do the trick now.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #917 on: March 29, 2012, 05:29:51 pm »

Can deadly dust go through fortifications? I'm really hoping to be able to set up a medical laboratory using an FB, but I need a way to get it to shoot at dwarvessubjects without being able to finally kill them, and so that I can recover the test subjects.
: Miner dwarves? In my volcano?

:I put childs into danger room...
They die, and their parents care nothing because legendary dining room.

Nil Eyeglazed

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #918 on: March 29, 2012, 05:32:09 pm »

Can deadly dust go through fortifications? I'm really hoping to be able to set up a medical laboratory using an FB, but I need a way to get it to shoot at dwarvessubjects without being able to finally kill them, and so that I can recover the test subjects.

Yes they can.  (In v31 it required placing an additional sacrificial subject inside the forts to give a pathable target to the duster, but this may no longer be necessary.)
He he he.  Yeah, it almost looks done...  alas...  those who are in your teens, hold on until your twenties...  those in your twenties, your thirties...  others, cling to life as you are able...<P>It should be pretty fun though.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #919 on: March 29, 2012, 05:41:44 pm »

Yes they can.  (In v31 it required placing an additional sacrificial subject inside the forts to give a pathable target to the duster, but this may no longer be necessary.)
This is good news. Sacrificial subjects can be arranged. (Can't they, semi-wild poults?)

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #920 on: March 29, 2012, 05:42:11 pm »

Make 2 rows of fortifications sandwiching a drawbridge that you can open and close at will.

nightwhips

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #921 on: March 29, 2012, 05:47:18 pm »

And then what?

On a related note, can you have two hospital zones successfully? It seems like taking chances to move the subjects 100 z-levels to get to the hospital.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #922 on: March 29, 2012, 06:33:53 pm »

A quick question related to aquifers.

I just embarked on an area with a variable-level aquifer. In some places it's 3 z-levels below the surface, others 4. I pierced the aquifer with the cave-in method, and began digging into the limestone I found below the soil.

Immediately beneath my plug is just fine. Unfortunately as I dug sideways I encountered damp stone. I assumed it was damp due to having an aquifer above it. But the stone itself seems to be water-bearing.

I hadn't heard that limestone could be an aquifer, and the wiki seems to support this. Any ideas why I found myself flooded?
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #923 on: March 29, 2012, 06:39:15 pm »

It's possible that the aquifer above leaked water downwards, making it appear is though the limestone had an aquifer.

ivanthe8th

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #924 on: March 29, 2012, 06:43:10 pm »

It's possible that the aquifer above leaked water downwards, making it appear is though the limestone had an aquifer.

I've never heard of that happening. I'd like to be able to access that stone layer a little easier. I could easily just dig deeper, but a whole limestone layer is pretty enticing considering it's my first access to stone.

Anyone else have experience with this?

EDIT: Problem solved. Apparently that's exactly how aquifers work and someone moved the information further down the wiki page.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2012, 06:49:13 pm by ivanthe8th »
You do remember that you've been farming gigantic wingless dragon-fish for profit and Fun, right?
This quote right here is the essence of DF.

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #925 on: March 29, 2012, 08:41:01 pm »

When you dig out stone directly under an aquifer, the ceiling will leak. you need to leave an extra layer to hold back the water.

Antalia

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #926 on: March 29, 2012, 09:09:28 pm »

Ok...this has been bugging me for a few days. I'm playing 34.05 and I'd like to create a stockpile for clay. But clay is always grayed out in the stockpile menu under Stone. My dwarves have also been hauling clay into any Stone-related stockpile I create. (In particular, the stockpile for chunks of ore to smelt is gradually taken over by clay. And the stockpile for my "catapult ammo" is similarly colonized.)

I seem to remember having a problem like this before, in 31.25, and worked around it...I think by editing some file...but I don't recall the details and it is stumping me now. (Help please?)

Edit: Never mind. I found an almost-identical issue to the one I'm having on the bug tracker (http://www.bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt/view.php?id=5530). I've added my details there.
« Last Edit: April 01, 2012, 02:37:15 pm by Antalia »
Author of Saga of Nutscaves, a tale of unsafe working conditions, plague, and worse

Creator of Dwarf Organizer, a Java application to help assign labor in your fortress

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #927 on: March 29, 2012, 09:52:26 pm »

Sometimes I see dead forgotten beasts in the unit list, without ever having had them announced or visible anywhere. They just show up seemingly at random. Is this a bug? The only notable recent event was the caravan...

NTJedi

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #928 on: March 29, 2012, 10:14:29 pm »

What would happen if a building destroyer went and destroyed a cage with lots of dogs... would all the dogs be freed to attack... or would they vanish(dead)??

GoldenShadow

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #929 on: March 29, 2012, 11:38:30 pm »

I'm not sure, but I think the dogs will be freeded.

Wildlife can attack forgotten beasts too. If it was a weaker one, a strong animal could conceivably kill one.
Pages: 1 ... 60 61 [62] 63 64 ... 422