Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 422

Author Topic: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread  (Read 882313 times)

Stormfeather

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: DF 2012v0.34 question and answer thread
« Reply #900 on: March 28, 2012, 10:52:45 am »

I also have a breeding pair of giant pythons, the female will claim a nest box and sit on the eggs after I forbade them, but she has been sitting on them for quite a while.  Does anyone know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?  It has been about 3 seasons already.

Some clutches of eggs are just unfertile for random reasons, and will never hatch. I usually give them a few seasons (or a year, just to keep to a schedule that I can remember) and un-forbid them, watch for the eggs to be collected, then quickly forbid the next clutch that gets laid immediately after.

Also keep in mind that if a mother on her eggs gets moved (or even maybe has a dwarf stand on top of her, I'm not sure), however briefly, those eggs won't hatch. Which is getting to be a pain with wild animals that need to be retrained periodically...

drh

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #901 on: March 28, 2012, 03:21:16 pm »

How does electrum rate as an armor material? Given its base metals (gold - not so great; and silver, respectable density) I'd hazard a guess that it's pretty mediocre (like most anything in the game which isn't steel or candy).
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 03:43:36 pm by drh »

i2amroy

• Bay Watcher
  • Cats, ruling the world one dwarf at a time
    • View Profile
« Reply #902 on: March 28, 2012, 03:26:08 pm »

I'm fairly certain that for armor the hardness of the material has a much greater effect then the density of the material. Electrum is fairly soft though, so I'd still rate it as fairly mediocre armor, as well as being heavy enough to potentially slow down the dwarf wearing it.
Quote from: PTTG
It would be brutally difficult and probably won't work. In other words, it's absolutely dwarven!
Cataclysm: Dark Days Ahead - A fun zombie survival rougelike that I'm dev-ing for.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
  • Helping to deforest the world
    • View Profile
« Reply #903 on: March 28, 2012, 03:58:02 pm »

gold is not armor grade metal, silver is weapon grade, though quite bad for edged ones, but also not good enough for armor. That shouldanswer your question.
Quote from: Urist Imiknorris
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.
Quote from: Frogwarrior
And then everyone melted.

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #904 on: March 28, 2012, 07:31:27 pm »

I also have a breeding pair of giant pythons, the female will claim a nest box and sit on the eggs after I forbade them, but she has been sitting on them for quite a while.  Does anyone know how long it takes for the eggs to hatch?  It has been about 3 seasons already.

Some clutches of eggs are just unfertile for random reasons, and will never hatch. I usually give them a few seasons (or a year, just to keep to a schedule that I can remember) and un-forbid them, watch for the eggs to be collected, then quickly forbid the next clutch that gets laid immediately after.

Also keep in mind that if a mother on her eggs gets moved (or even maybe has a dwarf stand on top of her, I'm not sure), however briefly, those eggs won't hatch. Which is getting to be a pain with wild animals that need to be retrained periodically...

I have noticed that some of the other animals in the pasture have been standing on top of the python.  I will make a room with a door for the nest box, and just lock the door until the eggs hatch.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #905 on: March 28, 2012, 07:33:01 pm »

I've got a guy who took a strange mood.  He's screaming for:

Body parts (I have slaughtered yak parts in a stockpile, are these not good enough?)
Cut gems (I have bins full of these, why doesn't he grab them?)
Rock bars (Huh?  How do I make these?)
Rock (Come on, dude.  There's rock everywhere)

What should I do?
« Last Edit: March 28, 2012, 07:35:17 pm by ClawlessVictory »

el Indio

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #906 on: March 28, 2012, 07:41:06 pm »

Rock bars are rock blocks.  Made in the mason workshop.

ClawlessVictory

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #907 on: March 28, 2012, 07:52:54 pm »

Nevermind guys, I sorta panicked when I saw him sitting in his claimed mason workshop whining about ingredients and not fetching them.  He grabbed a yak rib bone from the craftsdwarf shop, 3 silver bars (I thought he wanted rock...) and he must have picked up a cut gem when I wasn't looking, so he's furiously at work making something...

FuzzyZergling

• Bay Watcher
  • Zergin' erry day.
    • View Profile
« Reply #908 on: March 28, 2012, 08:08:59 pm »

Rock bars are rock blocks.  Made in the mason workshop.
Actually, I'm pretty sure that rock bars are metal bars.

vorpal+5

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #909 on: March 29, 2012, 01:01:18 am »

1. How can I block a river flow, as it seems nothing baring dropped obsidian (not possible at this stage) halts water from flowing?

2. If I kill stuff in the caverns, with Haunted biome at the surface, will said stuff reanimate too?

3. Is glass blocking sight, can I use a glass wall as a see through wall?

TIA.

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #910 on: March 29, 2012, 02:06:13 am »

dropping things in a river doesn't do anything. Either you have to wait untill it freezes and dig out an area to build a dam, or you need to divert the river using pumps and build the dam bit by bit.
Jam a door with its corpse and let all the goblins in. Hey, nobody said it had to be a weapon against your enemies.

zooeyglass

• Bay Watcher
  • Melbil that!
    • View Profile
« Reply #911 on: March 29, 2012, 07:28:49 am »

1. How can I block a river flow, as it seems nothing baring dropped obsidian (not possible at this stage) halts water from flowing?

2. If I kill stuff in the caverns, with Haunted biome at the surface, will said stuff reanimate too?

3. Is glass blocking sight, can I use a glass wall as a see through wall?

TIA.

1 - see above. Pumps / divert flow. To entirely stop the flow of the river, you could channel it one tile in from the source, and below that smooth and fortify the map edge - the water would drop into the channel & flow straight out of the map again...

2. don't know. Anyone?

3. Glass windows are see-through. Glass walls are not. As far as I can recall. Anyone confirm that with me?

It is a total pain in the butt, but you gotta do what you gotta do if you want that upright candy weapon.
Your suspicions are nothing more than superstition

greycat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #912 on: March 29, 2012, 07:31:08 am »

Actually, I'm pretty sure that rock bars are metal bars.

Quote from: Toady One
03/29/2012  Some odds and ends:
 * mood dwarves ask for metal bars correctly and it says "bones" instead of "body parts"

Go, Toady!
Hell, if nobody's suffocated because of it, it hardly counts as a bug! -- StLeibowitz

nickbii

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #913 on: March 29, 2012, 08:34:24 am »

Can I assign my current dining room to my mayor or will this prevent the rest of my dwarves from using the room?  Do I need to build him his own dining room?

Yes, he should have his own dining room, separate from the Fortress's dining hall.
When you're small you can generally get away with putting the Mayor's dining room inside the dining hall. Both rooms will be much less valuable while you're doing this, so if your gameplay style requires your dorfs to spend half their lives admiring the amazing dining room, or you care that your Mayor's office sucks, it's not a good strategy.

But if you don't care about that stuff the main meeting hall is actually the best place to put both your Mayor and your Manager. Actual nobility (ie: your Baron) should get their own office, but the doeks who do the administrative work will do their work fine from the dining hall.

Nick
When you say "meeting hall", are you referring to the Dining Room?  I turn off the "meeting hall" option in my dining room to prevent dwarfs from throwing parties.  Am I doing it wrong?

Also, what's the point in having a mayor?  Is it just another obstacle to deal with?  Guy seems more like a hindrance than anything else.  I took some office responsibilities off of my leader and spread them out between the two, but that's about the only use I've gotten out of him so far.
In Dwarf Fortress there is no such thing as doing it wrong. I use a meeting hall/dining room/anything because 90% of the time I don't care about parties.

As for "why have a mayor," the answer is because the game will elect a new one every year, and firing him is a pain.

Moreover without a Mayor instead of having that dude whose masterwork mug was just stolen by the kobolds get a "conduct meeting" job, where he's consoled by the Mayor, he'll remain pissed off. You risk a tantrum.

As for other diplomats, I think some of them speak with the Mayor even after you've got a Baron, which could be a problem. besides if you think the Mayor is such a pain that you insist on de-appointing him every year, you probably tell the liaison to go jump when he offers you the even bigger pain of a Baron/Count/Duke; which means you won't have anybody who can tell the trade liaison you really need flux.

Nick

Garath

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #914 on: March 29, 2012, 09:25:58 am »

I have plenty of trousers and/or dresses, my militairy shows as having claimed some, but they're not wearing any. Despite being covered with greaves, they complain about being exposed and one was near to throwing a tantrum, masterwork copper xbow in hand. Thank armok for a socially skilled mayor, though now he is getting unhappy from being shouted at quite regularly.

Any suggestions how I canget the military to equip properly again?
Pages: 1 ... 59 60 [61] 62 63 ... 422