Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807003 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8835 on: January 19, 2014, 12:04:00 pm »

It would be nice if some creatures could jump further than one tile. Giant Cave Spiders, for example.

Thniking about it, I don't know how it could be done, but it would be still cooler if some creatures could hang on at the ceilings.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8836 on: January 19, 2014, 03:16:26 pm »

It would be nice if some creatures could jump further than one tile. Giant Cave Spiders, for example.

Thniking about it, I don't know how it could be done, but it would be still cooler if some creatures could hang on at the ceilings.
I'm sure it will happen eventually. There's all sorts of jumping related things in descriptions and such. Pond-grabbers, for example, are supposed to jump out and grab passerby; Giant Jumping Spiders, presumably, should jump a lot and well; etc.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8837 on: January 19, 2014, 05:15:15 pm »

If that ever happens I'd hope there was some list of creatures/enemies your adventurer can see, as in Cataclysm.  I would not enjoy manually looking up 3 z levels every step whenever I'm in a large cavern underground, on the off chance that my adventurer sees a GCS on the ceiling.

And yes, I know there's the display of other z levels in adventure mode, but that only displays things right next to you.  So I think if you could see the GCS with that you'd already be in web range.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8838 on: January 19, 2014, 06:19:14 pm »

I think Toady should now just finish the long jumping and hanging goblins already. I'd like to see jumping over (lava-filled) moats.

I tend to agree. Since a release is still many months away, this seems like a nice thing to just wrap up rather than leave unfinished.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8839 on: January 19, 2014, 06:24:44 pm »

I think Toady should now just finish the long jumping and hanging goblins already. I'd like to see jumping over (lava-filled) moats.

Is there a chance that goblins will jump over a one-tile gap and fail, or does it always succeed?

If there is a chance of failure, we can ensure the goblins drop onto an active minecart track.

Are dwarves also going to jump over gaps to get to invaders?
The wording was "non-player" jumping and climbing. That includes your dwarves. They probably will jump and climb under other circumstances as well.

So you can really make your mines more abandoned looking if you want. Dwarves might be able to get out of more stupid situations too (Perhaps a newbie who has a dwarf stuck in a hole and can't get him out on his own will find an easier solution now.
Oh god, if dwarves can climb themselves out of holes and off roofs now, then I can't wait.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #8840 on: January 19, 2014, 09:07:17 pm »

Will falling water have any impact on climbing?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8841 on: January 21, 2014, 08:59:38 am »

And falling of magma, did you think about it ? :)

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8842 on: January 21, 2014, 10:07:18 am »

I'm pretty sure it's hard to climb with melting arms, but I might be mistaken.

For the question: I'm guessing it's going to count as any waterfall, so it'll just flush people down. (It does that, right?)
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8843 on: January 21, 2014, 10:37:11 am »

What about magma creatures and not-flying clowns...?
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

DG

• Bay Watcher
  • Pull the Lever
    • View Profile
« Reply #8844 on: January 21, 2014, 03:48:38 pm »

It'll be interesting to find out how fast climbing is compared to other actions and it'll probably need to be tweaked and balanced over time.

balrogkernel

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8845 on: January 21, 2014, 06:52:28 pm »

I can't wait for the jumping whales and carps.  Also fisherdwarves jumping into the swamps to grab turtles, and hopping right back out.  Stories of madness and mayhem while hunting with deers jumping, crashing, and falling into swamps while the dwarf runs and jumps through hazards.  Also can dogs please go through agility training?  It would be amazing. 

DogsRNice

• Bay Watcher
  • Urist Maclunky
    • View Profile
    • Steam profile
« Reply #8846 on: January 21, 2014, 08:25:21 pm »

jumping steel forgotten beast...  :o
I had an FB named Ned once.  I kept imagining a giant Ned Flanders...

Want an underground tree with green wood? Check out this tiny mod I made to add one

PeridexisErrant

• Bay Watcher
  • Dai stihó, Hrasht.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8847 on: January 22, 2014, 05:26:51 am »

...Will there be any changes to legends mode ... ?

legends viewer is great

What are the chances of suggestions such as an 'export all' option in legends mode, or enhancing the names of site maps and seasonal backups  being implemented - and is there anything that could make them more useful?  How does this kind of feedback compare to (eg) "please add minecarts!"?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 05:30:12 pm by PeridexisErrant »
I maintain the DF Starter Pack - over a million downloads and still counting!
 Donations here.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8848 on: January 22, 2014, 07:14:58 am »

On a similar note, I've started curating a list of low-effort non-gameplay enhancements - such as an 'export all' option in legends mode, or enhancing the names of site maps and seasonal backups.  It seems to have solid if low-key support. 

What are the chances of this kind of suggestion being implemented - and is there anything that could make them more useful?  How does this kind of feedback compare to (eg) "please add minecarts!"?

It is considered bad taste in this thread to suggest, ask for or promote specific suggestions. Besides that, it is difficult to know if something is "low-cost" without knowing the code.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8849 on: January 22, 2014, 07:58:06 am »

Exactly what I was thinking, what might seem like an innocent suggestion could be a programming nigthmare, or at least big enough to be non-trivial and thus, something to be left for latter.

Perhaps you could rephrase that as simply non-gameplay enhancements, and even then some people might argue some things are not enhancements.. see, it's hard to please everyone.

Never mind I see you already done that.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2014, 12:49:38 pm by LordBaal »
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 588 589 [590] 591 592 ... 748