Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807008 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8820 on: January 19, 2014, 02:39:30 am »

Now I can imagine people designing their fortress interiors in order to force dwarves to jump in their daily lives, to train strength and to cull the weak and slow down possible invaders.
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #8821 on: January 19, 2014, 02:45:51 am »

The 1/17 devlog entry seems to hint that these mysterious demon sites may be bringing new, randomly generated classes of items into our worlds. If that's the case, it sounds like a really exciting development with lots of implications, but I know it's something you don't want to spoil until after the release. So, without getting into specifics, I'd just like to know if it will be possible to see some of these grey-goo items finding their way onto trade caravans in fortress mode, or if we'll have to set out as an adventurer to get a taste of them.

"Ah, you have keen eyes, my friend! This is Oversharp the Five-Forged, wrought from the fire and brimstone of hell itself! Behold the sharpness of the edges -- no man nor dwarf could smith that! Examine the exquisite curves of the handle -- only wieldable by the five-handed lemur-fiends of the ancient tales, not seen by mortals in a thousand years! Now clearly, this magnificent weapon is priceless, but for you, my friend, I'm willing to let it go for a reasonable sum of gold, of which I'm willing to- "

"I can give five cabbages for that. Six, at the most. There's not really a demand for those right now."

"But I..."

"Look at this. It's unweildly, and clearly rather tarnished. I'll have to call up an expert in eldritch weapons and see what they think"

(Later)

"I got three cabbages for that priceless artifact, what a bargain."

FTFY

Rinin_Rus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8822 on: January 19, 2014, 04:43:28 am »

Will it be possible to jump from downward slope? Will walls upgraded with overhang be still unpassable? And which creatures (or parts of creatures) can jump and climb?
He has a lot of willpower,  but he has very little linguistic ability

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8823 on: January 19, 2014, 05:52:31 am »

So, with the jumping of invaders, could this be a viable defense? :

CPCB

C-channel, P-pressure plate, B-bridge linked to pressure plate. If timed right, invaders should jump right onto a bridge that would - a.) fling them away, b.) open into a bottomless/water/magma-filled pool.
To be honest, I haven't played with pressure plates/DF/fort mode in a while, so...

Also,
Can a (non-player) creature jump a space then climb upwards a wall on the other side of the empty space? As in, jump over a channel then climb a rough wall.
I'm curious because it would affect the effectiveness of the above idea. Namely, if they can climb, then the magma has to be directly under the bridge, then again, they may smash into the wall from the force of the jump...
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #8824 on: January 19, 2014, 06:08:24 am »

Also,
Can a (non-player) creature jump a space then climb upwards a wall on the other side of the empty space? As in, jump over a channel then climb a rough wall.
I'm curious because it would affect the effectiveness of the above idea. Namely, if they can climb, then the magma has to be directly under the bridge, then again, they may smash into the wall from the force of the jump...
If I understand you correctly, I don't think so. You mean a configuration like GCW (Ground, Channel, Wall)? Toady said that they jump to walkable tile, and walls aren't walkable tiles.

The 1/17 devlog entry seems to hint that these mysterious demon sites may be bringing new, randomly generated classes of items into our worlds. If that's the case, it sounds like a really exciting development with lots of implications, but I know it's something you don't want to spoil until after the release. So, without getting into specifics, I'd just like to know if it will be possible to see some of these grey-goo items finding their way onto trade caravans in fortress mode, or if we'll have to set out as an adventurer to get a taste of them.

I'm 90% sure that you'll be able to embark on top of a demon site in Fort Mode, and play with any items therein.
I wouldn't expect it. The demon sites seem to be visible by default, and you can't embark on such sites, like towers. You can embark on lairs, caves, and camps, I think, the sites that aren't visible by default.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

Wimopy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8825 on: January 19, 2014, 07:01:41 am »

Also,
If I understand you correctly, I don't think so. You mean a configuration like GCW (Ground, Channel, Wall)? Toady said that they jump to walkable tile, and walls aren't walkable tiles.

Ah, true. That might have been a hurried question, still, say I retract the bridge that the invader saw as walkable, will they fall down a pit that was hidden by the bridge, or can they grab the side of said pit and climb up instead?
Now updating the Monster Hunter Universe mod
Current Version: 0.4.95b - Updated June 17, 2015
New Thread
Download
Old Thread

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8826 on: January 19, 2014, 09:39:33 am »

How many styles of player-designed defense systems will become obsolete with this release?

The "Walls with no roof" design is definitely out.
The "Dodge-me" weapons over a big pit style trap may or may not still work.
Will the "goblin grinder" infinite speed 4x impulse ramp in a tight square still work? I doubt they'll be able to climb around that one.

He's not going to know all of the varieties of player defense networks, but yes it's going to upend many strategies, this is what !!!SCiENCE!!! is for :D
« Last Edit: January 19, 2014, 09:57:07 am by smjjames »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8827 on: January 19, 2014, 09:59:34 am »

Excellent. A part of me dreads the pathing issues that will come of this, but it's all worth it if it means the AI can finally overcome the 1 z level wall.
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8828 on: January 19, 2014, 10:04:44 am »

Excellent. A part of me dreads the pathing issues that will come of this, but it's all worth it if it means the AI can finally overcome the 1 z level wall.

And maybe dwarves can get themselves unstuck.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #8829 on: January 19, 2014, 10:16:57 am »

I thought that player built walls were supposed to be harder to climb than natural walls. I can't quite remember.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8830 on: January 19, 2014, 10:36:10 am »

I thought that player built walls were supposed to be harder to climb than natural walls. I can't quite remember.

Yeah, smooth walls (such as built walls) are supposed to be harder to climb or not climbable at all. However, I thought there was something about material coming into play?

This is going to require plenty of science when the new version gets released since we don't know all of the details.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8831 on: January 19, 2014, 11:06:19 am »

It'd be really cool if they could jump and grasp. Can you imagine how awesome it'd be for you to lay out this trap, drop some floor out from a charging goblin horde, and then have a Goblin weaponmaster/general/whatever grab the edge of a ledge as it's falling, climb up and then go nuts on your shocked military?

Fun!

But seriously, this is awesome even if they can't do that yet. Just the idea of enemies and dwarfs scaling walls and jumping gaps is great. I imagine, with the move and action split, that some truly epic moments can occur out of this.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8832 on: January 19, 2014, 11:39:47 am »

I think Toady should now just finish the long jumping and hanging goblins already. I'd like to see jumping over (lava-filled) moats.

Is there a chance that goblins will jump over a one-tile gap and fail, or does it always succeed?

If there is a chance of failure, we can ensure the goblins drop onto an active minecart track.

Are dwarves also going to jump over gaps to get to invaders?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #8833 on: January 19, 2014, 11:46:46 am »

I think Toady should now just finish the long jumping and hanging goblins already. I'd like to see jumping over (lava-filled) moats.

Is there a chance that goblins will jump over a one-tile gap and fail, or does it always succeed?

If there is a chance of failure, we can ensure the goblins drop onto an active minecart track.

Are dwarves also going to jump over gaps to get to invaders?
The wording was "non-player" jumping and climbing. That includes your dwarves. They probably will jump and climb under other circumstances as well.

So you can really make your mines more abandoned looking if you want. Dwarves might be able to get out of more stupid situations too (Perhaps a newbie who has a dwarf stuck in a hole and can't get him out on his own will find an easier solution now.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

Nasikabatrachus

• Bay Watcher
  • Who watchdwarfs the watchdwarves?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8834 on: January 19, 2014, 11:56:14 am »

Dear Fearless Leader,

Now that noise is a potentially important factor in sneaking, will NPCs respond to the noises produced by fighting? For instance, if an adventurer is assassinating a hapless lord in his bedroom, will other NPCs come to help when they hear fighting sounds or the intended victim calling for help?

Also, will monarchs and law-givers that die post-worldgen be entombed/mummified during play? And, do you plan to eventually allow the practice of mummification (if it is a practice) during Fort mode?
"I want to have goblins about me, for I am courageous. The courage which scareth away ghosts, createth for itself goblins--it wanteth to laugh." Thus Spake Zarathustra, chapter 7, Friedrich Nietzsche
Pages: 1 ... 587 588 [589] 590 591 ... 748