Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806744 times)

Areyar

• Bay Watcher
  • Ecstatic about recieving his own E:4 mug recently
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8850 on: January 22, 2014, 11:41:11 am »

I'm, wondering if upper-body strength, number of limbs, length and articulation of said limbs, claws, ect, etc will be factors in climbing success/speed.
Are creature body plans and/attributes (cangrab, number of manipulators etc) factored into your current concept for (non-player) climbing?

Some sticky creatures, such as spiders, could possibly merrit a natural-climber or no-fall tag or something.   
My images bucket for WIPs and such: link

SmileyMan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8851 on: January 22, 2014, 01:55:56 pm »

And with a single devlog entry, everything we knew about fortress defence becomes worthless!

Except of course for minecart ballista cannons...
In a fat-fingered moment while setting up another military squad I accidentally created a captain of the guard rather than a militia captain.  His squad of near-legendary hammerdwarves equipped with high quality silver hammers then took it upon themselves to dispense justice to all the mandate breakers in the fortress.  It was quite messy.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #8852 on: January 22, 2014, 02:27:27 pm »

And walls being invincible.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8853 on: January 22, 2014, 02:36:13 pm »

For now... and actually no.. now they can be climbed remember? He does says that only if you build them without certain preventions. I'm guessing an.. over.. thingy.. you know, that thing that is like a roof above the wall, to prevent people finish climbing all the way, for now...

Lucky for me, for immersion reasons I'm used to make the other walls on a T fashion, with fortifications both inwards and outwards as safe rails and patrols of crossbow dwarves at all times.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8854 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:37 pm »

You could always make a moat+wall.

metime00

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Dwarf Fortresser
    • View Profile
« Reply #8855 on: January 22, 2014, 03:27:46 pm »

I think he meant that they're indestructible. You can still just wall off your fort's mountain entrance and be perfectly safe.
Live long if you can, and prosper by any means necessary.  Any means, Urist.  So pull that lever, or by Armok, I'll lock you outside come next siege.
He who plays with dwarves must take care that he does not become a dwarf.  And when you stare into DwarfFort, Dwarffort stares back into you.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8856 on: January 22, 2014, 03:29:14 pm »

I'm fairly sure he said fort mode climbing AI wouldn't be in this release.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8857 on: January 22, 2014, 03:32:56 pm »

I'm fairly sure he said fort mode climbing AI wouldn't be in this release.

I mentioned in the last FotF reply that non-player climbing and jumping were still open questions and that I'd have to try them out before I knew how much we'd have this time around. That was today's project, and it looks we'll be having them both. This includes dwarf mode, so you might have to rethink certain defensive decisions you've been making. I haven't done anything with the strategic thinking of critters, but if they get within about 20 tiles of a target, they can formulate paths that include climbs and horizontal jumps through one air tile to a walkable tile, and they'll also use these forms of movement in limited non-combat situations. Longer jumps aren't yet possible for them, since it is harder to code running starts into the pathing routine, and they don't understand how to jump and then hang onto surface. It's a weakness you can exploit, but they still hop around and cause trouble enough to delight and entertain.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8858 on: January 22, 2014, 03:46:05 pm »

This is the kind of information I wished I didn't know. It would be amazing to be surprised by climbing critters without expecting them!

smjjames

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8859 on: January 22, 2014, 03:49:39 pm »

Come on guys, aren't smooth (constructed) walls supposed to be unclimbable? Or at the very least much more difficult to climb?

Defenses will probably start resembling real world defenses more.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8860 on: January 22, 2014, 03:57:17 pm »

Come on guys, aren't smooth (constructed) walls supposed to be unclimbable? Or at the very least much more difficult to climb?

things like constructed block walls are harder to climb than constructed rough walls (smoothed natural walls can't be climbed at all, at least while we are still dealing with tool-less people)

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #8861 on: January 22, 2014, 04:14:18 pm »

I think this will create a new and highly effective placement of rockfall traps.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #8862 on: January 22, 2014, 04:35:08 pm »

I think this will create a new and highly effective placement of rockfall traps.

Or maybe just minecart defenses.

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8863 on: January 22, 2014, 04:52:58 pm »

In a retired fortresses, will caged creatures remain where they where?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8864 on: January 22, 2014, 08:33:42 pm »

I think he meant that they're indestructible. You can still just wall off your fort's mountain entrance and be perfectly safe.
I know, but you can't completely rely on them for your security anymore. At least not with simple design.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!
Pages: 1 ... 589 590 [591] 592 593 ... 748