Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3806952 times)

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #8805 on: January 18, 2014, 07:51:40 am »

So by how many times has DF2014's dev cycle beaten the previous record holder already (and remind me which version it was)?

By 23 days this version beats the development cycle between 0.28.181.40d and 0.31.01.

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8806 on: January 18, 2014, 07:55:12 am »

I shudder to imagine how large the devcycles are going to be in the future.
At the same time, the new versions will provide even more fun/!FUN! stuff (case in point: DF2014) so the waiting times should be less noticeable in the long run. :V

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8807 on: January 18, 2014, 08:44:36 am »

I shudder to imagine how large the devcycles are going to be in the future.
At the same time, the new versions will provide even more fun/!FUN! stuff (case in point: DF2014) so the waiting times should be less noticeable in the long run. :V

I think that when enough of the frameworks are in place development will be faster. But it is only a guess.

ozyma

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8808 on: January 18, 2014, 01:53:53 pm »

I play DF for the story the world tells (and they can be really amazing) but legends mode is nearly unusable and obfuscates everything. Will there be any changes to legends mode in this or further releases? to help the players get the information they want.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 01:55:27 pm by ozyma »

Witty

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8809 on: January 18, 2014, 02:17:37 pm »

I play DF for the story the world tells (and they can be really amazing) but legends mode is nearly unusable and obfuscates everything. Will there be any changes to legends mode in this or further releases? to help the players get the information they want.

legends viewer is great for making legends actually readable.

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0

As far as I know, no changes have been made this release, and there are no plans for it in any near future release
« Last Edit: January 18, 2014, 02:19:08 pm by Witty »
Quote from: Toady One
I understand that it is disappointing when a dwarf makes a spiked loincloth instead of an axe.

LordBaal

• Bay Watcher
  • System Lord and Hanslanda lees evil twin.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8810 on: January 18, 2014, 05:12:55 pm »

Ummm... sounds like Toady is suffering from cave adaptation.
I'm curious as to how a tank would evolve. Would it climb out of the primordial ooze wiggling it's track-nubs, feeding on smaller jeeps before crawling onto the shore having evolved proper treds?
My ship exploded midflight, but all the shrapnel totally landed on Alpha Centauri before anyone else did.  Bow before me world leaders!

Lielac

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHIC:PEDANTRY: PERSONAL_MATTER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #8811 on: January 18, 2014, 06:10:00 pm »

Ummm... sounds like Toady is suffering from cave adaptation.

Cave adaption and a nocturnal schedule.

Lielac likes adamantine, magnetite, marble, the color olive green, battle axes, cats for their aloofness, dragons for their terrible majesty, women for their beauty, and the Oxford comma for its disambiguating properties. When possible, she prefers to consume pear cider and nectarines. She absolutely detests kobolds.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
  • The Juffo-Wup is strong in this place.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8812 on: January 18, 2014, 09:11:11 pm »

There's at least one change in the upcoming version:
In the Nobility/Holdings map, which is a work-in-progress export from the legends view, you can currently see the location of dukes in red, counts in orange and barons in yellow, with the monarch in purple.

And all kinds of changes later on.  As with most of the game, Legends is a work-in-progress that's full of placeholders.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8813 on: January 18, 2014, 11:55:58 pm »

Oh my.  Each devlog entry drives me insane with how much I want to play the next version.  At the same time though, it is really nice to see Toady just "switching" features on which change the game in fundamental ways. 
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8814 on: January 19, 2014, 12:11:04 am »

Oh man, jumping and climbing for NPCs.  I didn't expect that to make it in for this release.  Shit's gonna get real.

crapabear

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8815 on: January 19, 2014, 12:28:28 am »

The 1/17 devlog entry seems to hint that these mysterious demon sites may be bringing new, randomly generated classes of items into our worlds. If that's the case, it sounds like a really exciting development with lots of implications, but I know it's something you don't want to spoil until after the release. So, without getting into specifics, I'd just like to know if it will be possible to see some of these grey-goo items finding their way onto trade caravans in fortress mode, or if we'll have to set out as an adventurer to get a taste of them.

flabort

• Bay Watcher
  • Still a demilich, despite the 4e and 5e nerfs
    • View Profile
« Reply #8816 on: January 19, 2014, 12:31:43 am »

How many styles of player-designed defense systems will become obsolete with this release?

The "Walls with no roof" design is definitely out.
The "Dodge-me" weapons over a big pit style trap may or may not still work.
Will the "goblin grinder" infinite speed 4x impulse ramp in a tight square still work? I doubt they'll be able to climb around that one.
The Cyan Menace

Went away for a while, came back, went away for a while, and back for now.

Footkerchief

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8817 on: January 19, 2014, 12:33:49 am »

The 1/17 devlog entry seems to hint that these mysterious demon sites may be bringing new, randomly generated classes of items into our worlds. If that's the case, it sounds like a really exciting development with lots of implications, but I know it's something you don't want to spoil until after the release. So, without getting into specifics, I'd just like to know if it will be possible to see some of these grey-goo items finding their way onto trade caravans in fortress mode, or if we'll have to set out as an adventurer to get a taste of them.

I'm 90% sure that you'll be able to embark on top of a demon site in Fort Mode, and play with any items therein.

Untelligent

• Bay Watcher
  • I eat flesh!
    • View Profile
« Reply #8818 on: January 19, 2014, 12:44:02 am »

"Ah, you have keen eyes, my friend! This is Oversharp the Five-Forged, wrought from the fire and brimstone of hell itself! Behold the sharpness of the edges -- no man nor dwarf could smith that! Examine the exquisite curves of the handle -- only wieldable by the five-handed lemur-fiends of the ancient tales, not seen by mortals in a thousand years! Now clearly, this magnificent weapon is priceless, but for you, my friend, I'm willing to let it go for a reasonable sum of gold, of which I'm willing to- "

"We ain't got gold."

"...what?"

"See that big shiny mountain over there, the one we live in? All nickel. Whole way through. No gold."

"But the many cartfuls of barrels you've brought-"

"Full of roast quarry-cabbage. Me wife made 'em. Try one."

"...how much is there, exactly?"

"Enough to feed your entire kingdom for a month, I reckon'."

"Your offer is generous, my friend. Oversharp the Five-Forged is yours."
The World Without Knifebear — A much safer world indeed.
regardless, the slime shooter will be completed, come hell or high water, which are both entirely plausible setbacks at this point.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8819 on: January 19, 2014, 02:30:51 am »

Climbing and jumping enemies in fort mode sound amazing... though I am a little concerned my marksdwarves might start climbing over fortifications to slap goblins in stead of going to get more ammunition.

I think having sufficiently tall walls will still deter attackers.  I don't remember if block-walls are more difficult to climb than rough ones, but that would be a start I suppose.  Also digging a trench and smoothing the inside stone would work.  I think in general this is going to remove a large portion of the "silly" defenses.  Getting an active military is going to be a lot more important.  Lots of exciting challenges to look forward to!
where is up?
Pages: 1 ... 586 587 [588] 589 590 ... 748