Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807562 times)

Zavvnao

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5295 on: February 11, 2013, 03:23:34 pm »

At least that gives me time to finish my TC, finally. Started in 31.25, then update, had to retrofit, then keep working...

Say, what would a god of Death, Gambling, and Festivals do? Just found one while digging through legends

A game of Russian Roulette?

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5296 on: February 11, 2013, 03:28:53 pm »

Said god "commonly appears as a Grey Parrot." So, the parrot god of Death, Gambling, and Festivals. I wonder how gods like that would behave when they get fleshed out a bit more?
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5297 on: February 11, 2013, 03:42:07 pm »

Also, I sort of disagree with others about a release soon. I would LOVE a release soon, but I would much prefer a complete one. I can wait three to four months.
A bit of a false dichotomy. The release is not incomplete without it, Toady has even commented on that point to this effect. And you're going to be waiting three or four months even without this tangent to begin with, so.

I think My Name is Immaterial may have been speaking more generally, not necessarily about the specific example mentioned in the latest "Current Development" update. I may be wrong, though.

Said god "commonly appears as a Grey Parrot." So, the parrot god of Death, Gambling, and Festivals. I wonder how gods like that would behave when they get fleshed out a bit more?

If they have specific workings for the specific things a god can be god of, but leave it kind of open to emergent behavior (e.g. through just making the thing in question give the god goals/ideals, for instance), then those sorts of combinations could be so cool and interesting. I can't wait! But then, that's true for so many planned features of the game.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 03:44:27 pm by Whatsifsowhatsit »

PTTG??

• Bay Watcher
  • Kringrus! Babak crulurg tingra!
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nowherepublishing.com
« Reply #5298 on: February 11, 2013, 03:43:28 pm »

It's clearly similar to Baron Samedi.

That's the neat thing about procedural religion- no matter how weird it is, it makes sense. God of Snakes, craftsmanship, and mines? Then the society believed that caves were the burrows of great wurms, and associated the crafting of metals with the source down deep in the earth, where the Wurm-kings still delve.
A thousand million pool balls made from precious metals, covered in beef stock.

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5299 on: February 11, 2013, 04:58:27 pm »

It's clearly similar to Baron Samedi.

That's the neat thing about procedural religion- no matter how weird it is, it makes sense. God of Snakes, craftsmanship, and mines? Then the society believed that caves were the burrows of great wurms, and associated the crafting of metals with the source down deep in the earth, where the Wurm-kings still delve.

Fixed that for you.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5300 on: February 11, 2013, 05:01:55 pm »

I would prefer that gods are nonexsitent, only created by worship and since that worship is basically collection of memes, prone to mutations, spread, merges and whatnot.

So that if one sect of "disease god" gets dominated people focused on healing, it eventually drifts apart and "god of health" which has aditional "Altruism" sphere comes to be, while "disease god" still exists.

On the other hand, when "god of axes" woshippers also worship "god of spears" and vice versa, they would get merged to god which "wields axe in one hand, spear in the other and fights with both, insisting terror on lesser beings" or become god-brothers and their worship merged.

I would also like dead-religions woshiping nonexistent entity when there is not enough faith to animate god anymore (or ever).

Why is everyone vouching for the game's continuation of monotheistic worship in a polytheistic world?
Probably because that's how D&D does it, so people are used to it.

I would prefer that gods are nonexsitent, only created by worship and since that worship is basically collection of memes, prone to mutations, spread, merges and whatnot.

So that if one sect of "disease god" gets dominated people focused on healing, it eventually drifts apart and "god of health" which has aditional "Altruism" sphere comes to be, while "disease god" still exists.

On the other hand, when "god of axes" woshippers also worship "god of spears" and vice versa, they would get merged to god which "wields axe in one hand, spear in the other and fights with both, insisting terror on lesser beings" or become god-brothers and their worship merged.

I would also like dead-religions woshiping nonexistent entity when there is not enough faith to animate god anymore (or ever).

Why is everyone vouching for the game's continuation of monotheistic worship in a polytheistic world?

Maybe because it is the most widespread form of worship in a polytheistic world? In real life, it is very rare to worship different gods in the same way, even in you believe in many of these. Not that there are many polytheistic religions left to study…

And in the known examples, the gods, spirits of ancestors and spirits of inanimate objects are all usually mixed up, and it depends on the follower who he worships most.
Historically, everyone tended to worship all the major gods that were venerated in their culture or region. There is easily enough evidence to see historical cases of this.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5301 on: February 11, 2013, 08:09:43 pm »

Also, I sort of disagree with others about a release soon. I would LOVE a release soon, but I would much prefer a complete one. I can wait three to four months.
A bit of a false dichotomy. The release is not incomplete without it, Toady has even commented on that point to this effect. And you're going to be waiting three or four months even without this tangent to begin with, so.

I think My Name is Immaterial may have been speaking more generally, not necessarily about the specific example mentioned in the latest "Current Development" update. I may be wrong, though.
You are on the mark, exactly. I would like the most of the hero role, with sites for everyone, rebuilding, and maybe even mounts. Its almost there, but there is still plenty left to do.
Also, I believe that I said I would prefer a release later, but would be fine with one soon. Its just my assessment, but its Toady's choice.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5302 on: February 11, 2013, 08:54:57 pm »

Probably because that's how D&D does it, so people are used to it

Dungeons and dragons has... one... setting with a polytheistic religion. Admittingly you still have to chose a patron... but it exist.

Though as always I hope Toady doesn't let Dungeons and dragons pull him down to their level. Dungeons and dragons settings were always meant to be taken with a HUUUUUGE grain of salt.

Historically, everyone tended to worship all the major gods that were venerated in their culture or region. There is easily enough evidence to see historical cases of this

Major AND minor. Often religions included what I am going to call a "Personal god" such as the House gods of the Romans or the Ancestor gods of certain African tribes.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 09:53:59 pm by Neonivek »

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #5303 on: February 11, 2013, 11:02:52 pm »

Historically, everyone tended to worship all the major gods that were venerated in their culture or region. There is easily enough evidence to see historical cases of this

Major AND minor. Often religions included what I am going to call a "Personal god" such as the House gods of the Romans or the Ancestor gods of certain African tribes.

It goes as far as Animism (say some shinto variations) where anything has its personal soul and powers and thus demanded a certain degree of respect. One could make the Point that DF Elves life with similiar form of religion respecting the living entities (animals, sentients, plants) and Recognizing the higher ones like Spirits of the forrest.

Some "Neo-pagan" denominations also know local guardian spirits. And heck even many christians arent far from it by recognizing Angels, the Mother of Jesus or certain Saints  (or even all 3) as target for worship and prayer.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Caldfir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5304 on: February 12, 2013, 01:31:25 am »

On the topic of gods and worship in DF, I have dug up the following post by the Toad, which has his answers to a few questions regarding the subject:
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=84398.msg2562124#msg2562124

I would imagine that before you can worry about the level of interaction of a god with the world (or, for that matter, their existence) you need a framework where gods are very active, and then try to randomize things so that a bunch of different behaviors get represented.  From the quotes we have on the topic, Toady seems to be working toward a world where the gods are in fact real and interacting entities.  In the past, the gods did exactly nothing, which is a pretty good placeholder for the extreme of non-interacting deities, but it would appear that this was indeed just a placeholder, and not canon for the DF universe. 

Whatever the system eventually becomes, I'm sure it will be interesting, though how in-depth sphere-aligned interactions the player can see will be is a question.  Are all those spheres going to end up with interactions (like necromancy coming from gods of death), or even multiple interactions per sphere?  What does it even mean for a bunch of the spheres to have a sentient force motivated by their ideals?  What would such a being do?  Cool to think about, despite how far off it all probably is. 
where is up?

Thundercraft

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5305 on: February 12, 2013, 02:34:20 am »

I would like the most of the hero role, with sites for everyone, rebuilding, and maybe even mounts.

Speaking of mounts, is there talk of that being fixed for Fortress Mode soon-ish? Other races have been able to ride creatures since forever. And I would really love to see dwarves finally able to ride on horses and war bears and such. It'd change the dynamic and importance of certain creatures.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 02:37:24 am by Thundercraft »

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5306 on: February 12, 2013, 04:28:50 am »

How did you get monotheistic from this?

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5307 on: February 12, 2013, 04:35:03 am »

Just the idea of always boiling down to worshipping one god.

As well a lot of people were discussing it, I just had to chose a quote.

Could be worse.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:45:27 am by Neonivek »

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5308 on: February 12, 2013, 04:43:07 am »

You are on the mark, exactly. I would like the most of the hero role, with sites for everyone, rebuilding, and maybe even mounts. Its almost there, but there is still plenty left to do.
Also, I believe that I said I would prefer a release later, but would be fine with one soon. Its just my assessment, but its Toady's choice.

I am inclined to agree with you. I am anxious for a release, to be sure -- especially because I want to try my hand at Dwarf Fortress fanfiction writing once it occurs, based entirely on the characters, entities, places and events in Legends mode for an actual world I generated, perhaps even played some -- but I would like any feature that goes into the release to be done well. After all, a feature being a major feature in a release probably implies that, aside from bug fixes and perhaps some fleshing out early on afterwards, it's not going to be dealt with again for a while. So if something big is lacking about them, or they're not quite right in some way that is unlikely to be addressed by said bug fixes etc., it probably will take a while for that to be dealt with. Maybe? At any rate, I just like anything to go in to go in well, and I'd rather have that be the case and wait a bit longer, than have an earlier release where it's not necessarily the case.

Of course, that's a different issue than where it concerns an actual tangent that is only vaguely connected to one of the features currently under development, and that is likely to come up later in the context of an update where it's more relevant as a feature. In those cases, yeah, it's probably good to skip those for the time being. But if they are in fact somewhat connected, especially if they're fairly easy to implement along with the other things going in, I'd probably say go for it. What it all comes down to is, I feel like the speed of release should not be too important a factor.

[Stuff about gods interacting with the world.]
Ah, so those 'things a god can be a god of' as I called them before are actually referred to as spheres. Sorry about that.

Yeah, that's more or less what I was thinking of, whether each sphere would have its own interaction(s), or give certain goals to its god(s), or whether that would be just some subset of spheres, or whether it would work differently entirely. And whether we can expect a god of multiple spheres to act in interesting ways depending on the specific combination of spheres. Should those question be green? I followed along since the last FotF update, but I forget if it already came up as such.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2013, 04:46:36 am by Whatsifsowhatsit »

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5309 on: February 13, 2013, 07:16:28 am »

Question for the community

Is this release have the combat split already? I cannot remember and I cannot infer.

Toady will ruins be associated with the civilisation or will it be more neutral so that, for example, a completely different entity could do something with it?

Such as other civilisations, creatures, or non-civilised sapient beings
« Last Edit: February 13, 2013, 07:41:04 am by Neonivek »
Pages: 1 ... 352 353 [354] 355 356 ... 748