Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807499 times)

mastahcheese

• Bay Watcher
  • Now with 20% less sanity and trans fat!
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5265 on: February 10, 2013, 01:15:01 am »

One of our three cats keeps trying to press keys on the keyboard, my wife is cuddling him now. Happy birthday to Toady's owner, Scamps!
Oh look, I have a steam account.
Might as well chalk it up to Pathos.
As this point we might as well invoke interpretive dance and call it a day.
The Derail Thread

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5266 on: February 10, 2013, 04:35:54 am »

Not sure if it has been asked before, but... With the new vision cones, is there any way to look behind yourself without having to taking a step in that direction? For example, if you were being chased and you wanted to see if that bronze colossus was still running after you, would you be able to look behind yourself without having to stop running to see if you lost it or not?
Only enemies have cones of vision. Adventurers still have their 360° view - mostly to avoid situations like this.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Glanzor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5267 on: February 10, 2013, 08:03:43 am »

Does the new succession system include the succession of bandit leader positions as well?

Broken

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5268 on: February 10, 2013, 11:59:35 am »

Currently, items in adventure mode never rot or decay.

Now that the world is updated, will items in adventure mode, for example meat left in a fortress site, ever rot?
In a hole in the ground there lived a dwarf. Not a nasty, dirty, wet hole, filled with the ends of worms and an oozy smell, nor yet a dry, bare, sandy hole with nothing in it to sit down on or to eat: it was a dwarf fortress, and that means magma.
Dwarf fortress: Tales of terror and inevitability

Just Some Guy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5269 on: February 10, 2013, 01:00:11 pm »

Will religious organizations carry out goals like other entities?
Religious orders don't really seem to do much. They could do things related to their deity's sphere (e.g. Worshipers of a god of freedom setting up an underground railroad, or worshipers of a god of disease spreading plagues.)

King Mir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5270 on: February 10, 2013, 02:40:35 pm »

Currently, items in adventure mode never rot or decay.

Now that the world is updated, will items in adventure mode, for example meat left in a fortress site, ever rot?
This will probably have to wait until farms can replenish food in the world.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5271 on: February 10, 2013, 03:30:24 pm »

Religious orders don't really seem to do much. They could do things related to their deity's sphere (e.g. Worshipers of a god of freedom setting up an underground railroad, or worshipers of a god of disease spreading plagues.)
I don't think that some sphere gods would be automatically evil and have evil murderous followers. A god of death and fortresses might be in charge of protecting the dead, for instance, or a god of disease could have followers that make regular goat sacrifices to stop diseases from breaking out. Said god of disease might also be a fertility or health god. Conversely, a god of health might have followers who exterminate the sick or deformed. There are so many possibilities!
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #5272 on: February 10, 2013, 05:40:38 pm »

I don't think that some sphere gods would be automatically evil and have evil murderous followers. A god of death and fortresses might be in charge of protecting the dead, for instance, or a god of disease could have followers that make regular goat sacrifices to stop diseases from breaking out. Said god of disease might also be a fertility or health god. Conversely, a god of health might have followers who exterminate the sick or deformed. There are so many possibilities!

This makes sense. I don't think any of the spheres should have an alignment. The alignment of the god should be based on the god's personality and even then the alignment could be subjective to perception. IE. A god of war can be ambitious and whether the god is evil or good depends on whether you think conquering through war is good or bad.
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5273 on: February 10, 2013, 08:08:46 pm »

And the behaviors of followers could vary between sects. For instance, with Dionysus, you have people who worshiped him by making wine, and then you have some people who worshiped him by getting drugged up and ambushing people in the woods. A malignant god might have followers who try to placate him/her with sacrifices, as opposed to being an organized force of evil, and you might have a benevolent god whose followers might nonetheless be genocidal fanatics.

And, as in real life, the behaviors based on the beliefs of followers can have huge effect and initiate many stories, whether or not the deity has actual supernatural power.
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?

Aseaheru

• Bay Watcher
  • Cursed by the Elves with a title.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5274 on: February 10, 2013, 08:22:03 pm »

Perhaps there will be different forms of a god.
like a god in the form of a dwarf is nice to dwarves, but if it goes into the form of a elk or something then you better run.
Highly Opinionated Fool
Warning, nearly incapable of expressing tone in text

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5275 on: February 11, 2013, 02:43:51 am »

It can be more dynamic then that personally. Yet the game should never call to question whether or not a god is good or evil.

However lets say there is a god of disease who needs to keep track and control all the world's diseases. He has the Disease sphere AND he has the "Control Disease" Job.

A religion with a pantheon could made this god their "devil" or rather their diety who isn't meant to be worshipped, whether or not that diety is evil... Or it is a "evil" diety who is meant to be worshipped in order to appease them or calm them down.

Yet there are more dimensions then that. There are dieties who are villainous yet nessisary (Set), Act evil but really arn't, have shattered psyches and thus can act evil (Hel), are rogues who do bad things but are overall good (Loki, pre-ragnerok), are beyond morality (Typhon, who is just a blindly destructive monster), or who are evil but can be sweet talked into being good.

It is why I honestly think pantheons should be created because gods as entirely individual beings leaves out any dynamic you can get from them together.

---

Also I like to think that what a diety does is also seperate from spheres... yet tend to dictate it. A god of death is likely the only diety who will run an underworld.

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #5276 on: February 11, 2013, 02:59:10 am »

I would prefer that gods are nonexsitent, only created by worship and since that worship is basically collection of memes, prone to mutations, spread, merges and whatnot.

So that if one sect of "disease god" gets dominated people focused on healing, it eventually drifts apart and "god of health" which has aditional "Altruism" sphere comes to be, while "disease god" still exists.

On the other hand, when "god of axes" woshippers also worship "god of spears" and vice versa, they would get merged to god which "wields axe in one hand, spear in the other and fights with both, insisting terror on lesser beings" or become god-brothers and their worship merged.

I would also like dead-religions woshiping nonexistent entity when there is not enough faith to animate god anymore (or ever).

Lolfail0009

• Bay Watcher
  • [PROGRAMMER:C#] [PROGRAMMER:C++] [PRONOUNS:SHE]
    • View Profile
« Reply #5277 on: February 11, 2013, 03:13:55 am »

Mutatory gods... Sounds like ??FUN??

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5278 on: February 11, 2013, 03:27:24 am »

Toady refusing a low hanging fruit...   ???

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5279 on: February 11, 2013, 04:25:59 am »

Toady wants to release.
Pages: 1 ... 350 351 [352] 353 354 ... 748