Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3807445 times)

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #5280 on: February 11, 2013, 04:31:48 am »

Toady refusing a low hanging fruit...   ???
It wasn't a low-hanging fruit. He refrained from going off on a massive tangent since existing mechanics handled it fine.

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5281 on: February 11, 2013, 05:03:10 am »

It wasn't a low-hanging fruit. He refrained from going off on a massive tangent since existing mechanics handled it fine.

Well, it might be somewhat subjective which fruits are seen as low-hanging ones.

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5282 on: February 11, 2013, 05:17:52 am »

Is it conceivable that, in adventurer mode, hospitals could be implemented someday ?
A sort of place where you should pay for medical fixing, for you or your companions ?

I mean, well, okay your hand can be broken, but unlike in fortress mode where it's quite "easy" to fix it, there is nothing (even in biggest towns) to fix it. It's quite..unrealistic ? Especially when you see experimented suturer or wound dresser coming to your fortress...coming...apparently...from nowhere (I mean, where did they start ?)

Trif

• Bay Watcher
  • the Not-Quite-So-Great-as-Toady One
    • View Profile
« Reply #5283 on: February 11, 2013, 06:28:38 am »

Is it conceivable that, in adventurer mode, hospitals could be implemented someday ?
A sort of place where you should pay for medical fixing, for you or your companions ?

I mean, well, okay your hand can be broken, but unlike in fortress mode where it's quite "easy" to fix it, there is nothing (even in biggest towns) to fix it. It's quite..unrealistic ? Especially when you see experimented suturer or wound dresser coming to your fortress...coming...apparently...from nowhere (I mean, where did they start ?)

Quote from: DF Talk #12
Capntastic:   Ghouls asks 'Will we ever be able to receive medical care in adventure mode? I know losing is supposed to be fun, but smashing a bandit's skull with my peg leg would be even better.'
Toady:   That's good, it come from a positive place rather than saying that losing is supposed to be fun but I hate losing ...
Rainseeker:   It's not.
Toady:   Yeah, it's not fun when I lose both my legs and can't walk around. But no, he's coming from a positive place where he wants to smash people's skull with his peg leg. The adventure more health care, I think we mentioned somewhere that it was one of those things, when we set up the new dev page and the dev page had all the stuff on it - the newest one that had a lot of adventure mode stuff and we were like 'you can be the hero' 'you can be thief' 'you can dive into ruins' 'you can kill night creatures', all this stuff - and adventure mode healthcare just wasn't on that list, even though it's important. It's definitely one of the things we're going to do and we just kind of blanked on putting it up there. We didn't talk about it that much, like exactly what you want to be able to do, but certainly the things you've got in dwarf mode like crutches and splints and being able to bandage yourself - all that kind of thing that you need to survive - you'd be able to do, especially overcoming those things like you're not dying but you are missing one of your legs. Right now the solution in dwarf mode, assuming it worked which it probably doesn't, and I'm doing healthcare bugs, is using a crutch, and so in adventure mode you'd be able to do the same thing. Now when we get to prosthetics, that's one of those things that has been up on the dev notes for a while and one of those things where it's like 'When is the right time?' Any time is the right time, but that's true of almost anything, so I don't know when that type of medical care is going in, no idea, but it's something we want to do because it's all thematically appropriate to run around with peg legs and hooks and Zach and I just saw Enter the Dragon last night, so you can have all kinds of replaceable hands I guess; a lions paw, and the big knives on your hand, and the natural iron hand that you've got that looks like your hand, and you can also keep your old skeleton of your hand there as a souvenir, apparently that's how it's done ... You will be able to see adventure care, but we're not sure when, it's one of those things that seems like a pressing issue because you die all the time in adventure mode, but that's not a new thing ... So I'm not sure when it should happen, it seems like something you want to do, but who knows when.
Quote from: Toady One
I wonder if the game has become odd.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5284 on: February 11, 2013, 08:31:43 am »

I would prefer that gods are nonexsitent, only created by worship and since that worship is basically collection of memes, prone to mutations, spread, merges and whatnot.

So that if one sect of "disease god" gets dominated people focused on healing, it eventually drifts apart and "god of health" which has aditional "Altruism" sphere comes to be, while "disease god" still exists.

On the other hand, when "god of axes" woshippers also worship "god of spears" and vice versa, they would get merged to god which "wields axe in one hand, spear in the other and fights with both, insisting terror on lesser beings" or become god-brothers and their worship merged.

I would also like dead-religions woshiping nonexistent entity when there is not enough faith to animate god anymore (or ever).

Why is everyone vouching for the game's continuation of monotheistic worship in a polytheistic world?

Inarius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5285 on: February 11, 2013, 08:44:16 am »

Gods should be like in tales of ancient rome or greece. Anthropomorphic gods who have their own activities and can eventually use with the people who trust in them.

FearfulJesuit

• Bay Watcher
  • True neoliberalism has never been tried
    • View Profile
« Reply #5286 on: February 11, 2013, 10:13:51 am »

With the recent news in mind: are there going to be situations in which an otherwise hereditary or upon-death post is succeeded to, but the previous owner doesn't die and wasn't conquered- ie they were pressured into resigning or were kicked out by a bigwig?

@Footjob, you can microwave most grains I've tried pretty easily through the microwave, even if they aren't packaged for it.

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
« Reply #5287 on: February 11, 2013, 10:21:14 am »

Gods should be like in tales of ancient rome or greece. Anthropomorphic gods who have their own activities and can eventually use with the people who trust in them.
That should give demigods some history.
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5288 on: February 11, 2013, 11:32:55 am »

Toady wants to release.

Its very nearly one year since the last big release, so I think its time. I know there are still caves to sort out.

Happy Birthday to Scamps!
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

thvaz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5289 on: February 11, 2013, 11:50:47 am »

Well, it might be somewhat subjective which fruits are seen as low-hanging ones.

Toady was making fun of its own tendency on going after "low hanging fruits" that werent so low hanging after all. I just commented about it. I want a release ASAP, too.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #5290 on: February 11, 2013, 11:52:21 am »

Quote from: ToadyOne
...others go on patrol or hang out in the fake-taverns that I put in to aggregate soldiers, monster hunters, scouts and drunks.
Will we be seeing monster hunters in the next release?

Also, I sort of disagree with others about a release soon. I would LOVE a release soon, but I would much prefer a complete one. I can wait three to four months.
« Last Edit: February 11, 2013, 11:59:26 am by My Name is Immaterial »

Whatsifsowhatsit

• Bay Watcher
  • Big geek
    • View Profile
« Reply #5291 on: February 11, 2013, 11:53:49 am »

Toady was making fun of its own tendency on going after "low hanging fruits" that werent so low hanging after all. I just commented about it. I want a release ASAP, too.

Right, that's how I interpreted it as well.

Saiko Kila

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarven alchemist
    • View Profile
« Reply #5292 on: February 11, 2013, 11:57:00 am »

I would prefer that gods are nonexsitent, only created by worship and since that worship is basically collection of memes, prone to mutations, spread, merges and whatnot.

So that if one sect of "disease god" gets dominated people focused on healing, it eventually drifts apart and "god of health" which has aditional "Altruism" sphere comes to be, while "disease god" still exists.

On the other hand, when "god of axes" woshippers also worship "god of spears" and vice versa, they would get merged to god which "wields axe in one hand, spear in the other and fights with both, insisting terror on lesser beings" or become god-brothers and their worship merged.

I would also like dead-religions woshiping nonexistent entity when there is not enough faith to animate god anymore (or ever).

Why is everyone vouching for the game's continuation of monotheistic worship in a polytheistic world?

Maybe because it is the most widespread form of worship in a polytheistic world? In real life, it is very rare to worship different gods in the same way, even in you believe in many of these. Not that there are many polytheistic religions left to study…

And in the known examples, the gods, spirits of ancestors and spirits of inanimate objects are all usually mixed up, and it depends on the follower who he worships most.

Willfor

• Bay Watcher
  • The great magmaman adventurer. I do it for hugs.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5293 on: February 11, 2013, 01:33:40 pm »

Also, I sort of disagree with others about a release soon. I would LOVE a release soon, but I would much prefer a complete one. I can wait three to four months.
A bit of a false dichotomy. The release is not incomplete without it, Toady has even commented on that point to this effect. And you're going to be waiting three or four months even without this tangent to begin with, so.
In the wells of livestock vans with shells and garden sands /
Iron mixed with oxygen as per the laws of chemistry and chance /
A shape was roughly human, it was only roughly human /
Apparition eyes / Apparition eyes / Knock, apparition, knock / Eyes, apparition eyes /

WillowLuman

• Bay Watcher
  • They/Them Life is weird
    • View Profile
« Reply #5294 on: February 11, 2013, 02:58:52 pm »

At least that gives me time to finish my TC, finally. Started in 31.25, then update, had to retrofit, then keep working...

Say, what would a god of Death, Gambling, and Festivals do? Just found one while digging through legends
Dwarf Souls: Prepare to Mine
Keep Me Safe - A Girl and Her Computer (Illustrated Game)
Darkest Garden - Illustrated game. - What mysteries lie in the abandoned dark?
Pages: 1 ... 351 352 [353] 354 355 ... 748