Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809918 times)

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3360 on: September 20, 2012, 08:22:49 pm »

Yay fruit! and flowers, I wondered why DF had no flowers. I didn't even think about roots!. Hmm.

Will we be able to damage roots by mining nearby and trampling?
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:50:47 pm by misko27 »
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3361 on: September 20, 2012, 08:27:19 pm »

Walking over saplings is already kills trees.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3362 on: September 20, 2012, 08:29:30 pm »

Heck yeah fruit! Although the mention of flowers intrigues me somewhat, since I didn't really think it would be something worthy of mention.

Do you have plans for flowers as a resource of some kind (decorative or otherwise,) or are they just an aesthetic choice to make the grass pretty? Does their coincidence with Elven sites indicate that Elves will have more flowers around than anyone else, or is it just "I'm doing trees and fruits and stuff, I'll throw in flowers quick?"

Mr S

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3363 on: September 20, 2012, 08:31:14 pm »

I think maybe the idea is trees, not saplings, growing to their determinant size much more slowly, or not at all, if the soil layer around them is compacted due to heavy traffic.

And, holy crap.  I sure hope fall damage is further refined else we'll get jumping related broken toes all over the place.  Does this mean soon we'll have Dwarven excercise programs that don't just involve air pumps?  That also train agility?  The mind boggles.

Edit: Also, flowers may tie into the existing BEES!! structure.  And if he gets really nasty, bees could be a pre-requisite for really fertile farming, as well as wild find (i.e. herbalism).
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 08:32:48 pm by Mr S »

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3364 on: September 20, 2012, 08:53:03 pm »

So the question is asking if the trampling effect is going to be changed with the addition of new vegetation and tree changes?
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

EmeraldWind

• Bay Watcher
  • Hey there, dollface...
    • View Profile
« Reply #3365 on: September 20, 2012, 09:27:15 pm »

With fruit going in will you make adventurers able to gather fruit and other plants for food straight from the source?
We do not suffer from insanity. We enjoy every single bit of it.

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3366 on: September 20, 2012, 09:43:33 pm »

So, ToadyOne is going to be tackling Jumping and climbing. So, I think this means that'll be getting ladders in Fort Mode.
I initially read this as "ToadyOne is going to be tackling, jumping, and climbing." My first reaction was, "Gosh, I hope he stretches. Programming doesn't leave a lot of time for exercise."

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

monk12

• Bay Watcher
  • Sorry, I AM a coyote
    • View Profile
« Reply #3367 on: September 20, 2012, 09:48:44 pm »

"Next here on American Ninja Warrior we have Tarn Adams, a reclusive programmer and game designer with a Ph.D in Mathematics. He's hoping the copious quantities of alcohol he consumed with his dedicated fans will fuel his run through the course and into the second stage!"

Phlum

• Bay Watcher
  • Above Is my true form, no mortal shall see it!
    • View Profile
    • Idontwanttowork
« Reply #3368 on: September 20, 2012, 10:09:24 pm »

1) gobbo's have underground forts and pits to shear trolls,
2) there is sneaking and tracking, not to forget the combat/movement split,
3) multi level trees, Jumping and ladders.
4) active world outside of worldgen,

Hell yea, this update will be the best damn thing ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But the jumping would give the player character's a huge edge over NPC's, won't this require a new AI? I'm scared to green this, seems like too much to hope for dosn't it?
So I have spoken, may this thread live long!!

I don't share my age online, no one takes horny 14 year olds seriously.

"dwarf fortress is autism in a game"  -a guy named rick

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3369 on: September 20, 2012, 10:14:45 pm »

1) gobbo's have underground forts and pits to shear trolls,
2) there is sneaking and tracking, not to forget the combat/movement split,
3) multi level trees, Jumping and ladders.
4) active world outside of worldgen,

Hell yea, this update will be the best damn thing ever.
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

But the jumping would give the player character's a huge edge over NPC's, won't this require a new AI? I'm scared to green this, seems like too much to hope for dosn't it?
Well, the minecarts were great, and I was REALLY looking forward to the bug-fix where kill orders cancel upon death. I have ADHD, so a kill order would go out, and then they'd just stand there till I remembered them. Poor guys.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3370 on: September 20, 2012, 10:47:54 pm »

Quote from: Captain's Log
With their industries and troll shearing pits most of the way there,

Do you think the gobbos get the kidnapped children to shear the trolls?  When the kids return to Dwarven civilization do they have all kinds of freaky skills?

Roots for trees!  Can't imagine how trees are going to work out, but it really sounds like they're going to give a lot more colour to the countryside.  Looking forward to more tree-info.   :D
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Squanto

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3371 on: September 20, 2012, 11:31:27 pm »

Calling it right now:  A bug where you end up embarking on the canopy of a tree.
Probably no reason other than it giving them a larger B-peen.
The B is for Business.

DNK

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3372 on: September 21, 2012, 01:39:06 am »

So, given that in real life many trees exceed 20 ft in height (and in jungle biomes, far more), does this mean that we're going to be seeing these multi-tile trees popping up regularly in fortress mode across many biomes as well? Are their canopies going to be just single tiles or multiple tiles on multiple Z levels?

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3373 on: September 21, 2012, 02:02:32 am »

Do you think the gobbos get the kidnapped children to shear the trolls?  When the kids return to Dwarven civilization do they have all kinds of freaky skills?

This is a great question actually, so I'm greening it:

We know that, after a time, children kidnapped by Goblins become Goblin-naturalized, to the point of even leading armies against their original civ. Now that abducted children are locatable and rescuable, have you put any thought into how long they have to be saved before they become willing little Goblins themselves (at which point I'd imagine they would no longer want to be rescued)? Would you have this timeframe vary based on certain personality traits of the child abducted, or their age? More importantly - would kids rescued from Goblin civs after a significant length of time be changed in any way, be it in terms of picking up a skill like Shearing from slave labor, or another trait they might acquire from the ordeal?

smirk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3374 on: September 21, 2012, 02:27:10 am »

Heck yeah fruit! Although the mention of flowers intrigues me somewhat, since I didn't really think it would be something worthy of mention.

Do you have plans for flowers as a resource of some kind (decorative or otherwise,) or are they just an aesthetic choice to make the grass pretty? Does their coincidence with Elven sites indicate that Elves will have more flowers around than anyone else, or is it just "I'm doing trees and fruits and stuff, I'll throw in flowers quick?"
Flowers are an important part of many plants' reproductive cycles, so putting them in now to be built upon later seems reasonable. I doubt he'll get too complex with it right now, as it'd be quite a sidetrack, but something basic and possibly beekeeping-related probably wouldn't be out of the question.
When i think of toady i think of a toad hopping arround on a keyboard
also
he should stay out of the light it will dry out his skin
his moist amphibian skin
Pages: 1 ... 223 224 [225] 226 227 ... 748