Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809841 times)

Dante

• Bay Watcher
  • Dante likes cats for their corrupt intentions.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3375 on: September 21, 2012, 02:32:06 am »

I am incredibly excited for vegetation improvements.

I wonder if we'll see buttressed roots above ground, as well as underground root systems. And whether roots will grow down through open spaces underground. And whether branches will be truly solid, or permeable like staircases are now. And whether trees can be felled in sections, or will fall intact, or what. And whether trees will go through the full bud, blossom, pollination, fruit cycle. And whether we'll have tags supporting mushrooms that only grow in tree roots. And...

Sinistar

• Bay Watcher
  • Absolutely detests Sinibombs
    • View Profile
    • http://dojo.fi/~rancid/loituma__.swf
« Reply #3376 on: September 21, 2012, 02:39:47 am »

Roots!

By Armok, ROOTS!

edit: the post above pretty much describes what's going on in my head right now. Only at higher speed, resulting in a complete mess.

Thanks, Dante.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 02:41:19 am by Sinistar »
Everything is an instrument if you hit it the right way.
Oh they know. Spiders are not stupid. They've just got disproportionally huge balls.

Vattic

• Bay Watcher
  • bibo ergo sum
    • View Profile
« Reply #3377 on: September 21, 2012, 02:48:25 am »

Very excited for the vegetation changes. Might as well post the multi-tile tree mockups I made.

Will the new vegetation changes include the undergrowth you've mentioned before?

When it comes to sites and modding will it be a matter of deciding if your custom civ uses one of the preset ones or are they more customisable?

What level of customisation are you planning for in future / What is your ideal level and what level do you expect to achieve?

What would happen in world gen if you gave humans goblin style sites? Would the lack of farms lead to starvation?

If a civ conquers a site that wouldn't support their needs how does settling work?
6 out of 7 dwarves aren't Happy.
How To Generate Small Islands

Cruxador

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3378 on: September 21, 2012, 04:28:56 am »

Do you think the gobbos get the kidnapped children to shear the trolls?  When the kids return to Dwarven civilization do they have all kinds of freaky skills?

This is a great question actually, so I'm greening it:

We know that, after a time, children kidnapped by Goblins become Goblin-naturalized, to the point of even leading armies against their original civ. Now that abducted children are locatable and rescuable, have you put any thought into how long they have to be saved before they become willing little Goblins themselves (at which point I'd imagine they would no longer want to be rescued)? Would you have this timeframe vary based on certain personality traits of the child abducted, or their age? More importantly - would kids rescued from Goblin civs after a significant length of time be changed in any way, be it in terms of picking up a skill like Shearing from slave labor, or another trait they might acquire from the ordeal?
It would be cool if there was night creature-like transformations, with abducted children turning green and eventually turning into goblins.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3379 on: September 21, 2012, 04:39:50 am »

We know that, after a time, children kidnapped by Goblins become Goblin-naturalized, to the point of even leading armies against their original civ. Now that abducted children are locatable and rescuable, have you put any thought into how long they have to be saved before they become willing little Goblins themselves (at which point I'd imagine they would no longer want to be rescued)?

Ooh , this reminded me of another question... goblins don't eat, right?  I know Toady mentioned this in DF talk one time... How do they provide for their intestinally blessed captives?  Will their forts feature pastures or fields to feed the prisoners?
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3380 on: September 21, 2012, 04:41:26 am »

Climbing and jumping? I certainly did not expect that to happen, even if it happens to be adventurer-only.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3381 on: September 21, 2012, 05:42:05 am »

would kids rescued from Goblin civs after a significant length of time be changed in any way, be it in terms of picking up a skill like Shearing from slave labor, or another trait they might acquire from the ordeal?
I can see it now:
"Goddamn, the mountainhome only sends me fish dissectors and soap makers. Time to go to war with the Goblins!"

Will we have trees massive enough that the trunk alone spans several tiles? Will we then be able to carve fortifications, stairs, etc in the trunk?
I assume the elves would do that by nicely asking the tree if he can grow in such a way that it works like stairs.
Anyway, can you imagine it? Hidden sentry posts in treetops? Accessible from below the earth?
Will trees regrow if we prune them? Can we use the fallen leaves as fertilizer?
Can the code for tree/root growing be reused for 3D veins? Will we see 3D veins in this release?
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

zwei

• Bay Watcher
  • [ECHO][MENDING]
    • View Profile
    • Fate of Heroes
« Reply #3382 on: September 21, 2012, 06:13:40 am »

Fruit!

Will we have orchards in dwarf mode then? Grapes and proper wine?

Flowers! Mushrooms!

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3383 on: September 21, 2012, 06:44:11 am »

How moddable will the following be: tree shape, size, quantity of fruit bearing
Will all trees have different defined varieties of leaves/petals/etc? For example, pine trees will have pine needles, oak trees will have oak leaves, palm trees will have palm fronds.
Will the varieties of tree produce have different specific uses? IE sap from a maple tree could be made into a syrup, while syrups made from saps taken from other trees would be inedible.
With the implementation of the other new sites, will this in turn allow for more variety with human sites, since the code has been expanded upon?
Will trees legitimately spread through methods such as seeds in fruit, or will they still just spawn?
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3384 on: September 21, 2012, 06:57:12 am »

The next update is going to be amazing. My God, I'm going to fail my final year of university...

Also the theme song of this update: Sepultura - 'Roots bloody roots'
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 08:41:59 am by MasterMorality »

Auning

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3385 on: September 21, 2012, 07:20:23 am »

The next update is going to be amazing. My God, I'm going to fail my final year of university...
I too am concerned about my studies as well as my health when it releases. I already decided to forgo any real social life several years ago in preparation for the very day it releases, because I might as well just not exist for several weeks after it is.
[DESCRIPTION:A horse-like creature susceptible to severed nerves when muscles are torn in limb, grasp and starting length are all the same.]
[BLOOD:LOCAL_CREATURE_MAT:EGG_YOLK:LIQUID]
[PUS:LOCAL_CREATURE:BIRD_ROC]

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3386 on: September 21, 2012, 07:38:17 am »

But the jumping would give the player character's a huge edge over NPC's, won't this require a new AI? I'm scared to green this, seems like too much to hope for dosn't it?
When ToadyOne said he was adding in Jumping, and climbing it was most certainly for NPC and for adventurers. If I recall correctly, ToadyOne was hesitant to give it to Adventurers earlier due to advantages it would give adventures for accessing sqaures that NPC can't path to. The reason why he was hesitant against adding it for NPC, was because it would require a none trivial change to Path Finding. And it'll also probably touch upon numerous other aspect too. Like some NPC personalty facets may discourage their ability to take jumping paths.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 07:57:36 am by MrWiggles »
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

Dae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3387 on: September 21, 2012, 08:46:21 am »

Even though it would be awesome to see dwarves pathing individually, hesitating on whether or not to take a jump in fortress mode, it might be hard to do different requests for every unit.
However, it would be feasible in adventurer mode since there are less entities at a time, everyone can use the same pathfinding in normal situations (outside of fights) and it's not real-time.

I have been eagerly waiting for climbing and jumping for such a long time I'm having a hard time realizing it's really coming soon.
Plus, let's check what we know up till now :
- Non-lethal fight, small crimes and intimidation with activating the world and human cities;
- we had infiltration and rudimentary nc jobs with goblins;
- fruits, multitile trees, climbing and jumping with elves;

So, what will we have for dwarves and kobolds ? All bets are off ! Maybe inns, but I so strongly hope for the start of the personnality rewrite. It would allow for interesting leaders and warfare, stories of love and war and hate and treason at the head of states...

Chromasphere

• Bay Watcher
  • UUUUU,.,..,..,U,.""T"T"T"T""T
    • View Profile
« Reply #3388 on: September 21, 2012, 08:57:21 am »

With climbing in, I'm wondering if my fort walls will be scaled or not.  Certainly I wont be able to have safe perimeters that use a single level ledge anymore (as I would often build walls into the sides of a hill and use the natural ledges as part of my safety perimeter due to it being unclimbable.  Enemies it seems now will just jump down the single level drop from above and into my fort proper... hehe.  I foresee radical changes in player fort design... that is for those of us who make extensive above ground forts.     Very exciting update.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 09:19:29 am by Chromasphere »
"I saw the best minds of my generation destroyed by tantrums, starving hysterical naked,
    dragging themselves through the dwarven streets at dawn looking for a helpless cat"-Vaftrudner

"We aren't customers or investors - we're spectators tossing donations into the coin box while watching someone build their work of art"-Psieye

Urist Da Vinci

• Bay Watcher
  • [NATURAL_SKILL: ENGINEER:4]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3389 on: September 21, 2012, 09:17:20 am »

Will cutting down multi-tile trees right where the tree goes into the ground cause the cave-in code to take effect, or do you intend to handle this differently? I know logging is dangerous, but not that dangerous!
Pages: 1 ... 224 225 [226] 227 228 ... 748