Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809888 times)

Mesa

• Bay Watcher
  • Call me River.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3345 on: September 18, 2012, 04:00:46 pm »

Hopefully rescuing prisoners will be added to the list of quests people can offer you. It would be great to finally have a quest that isn't "Go there, kill that guy."
You forgot " Go thataway, this guy there will tell you to go someplace else and kill someone.

Meanwhile in 2050...

The Grackle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3346 on: September 18, 2012, 05:19:51 pm »

Being able to rescue a kidnapee and then bring them back to their family means we will have a way to recruit and then discharge an NPC.  Hopefully there will be a way to do this for other companions too. "Dude, your spine is broken and you're missing an arm. I admire your dedication to the cause, but go home already. Go home."

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3347 on: September 18, 2012, 05:22:58 pm »

I feel a feature creep coming up...
How is that a feature creep?

And the answer, is probably, a yea. NPC Adventures will be able to do Quest for your Dorf Fort, but I dont think anything been explicitly stated on this, but it doesnt seem to be an unreasonable ability for Forts to do so, especially once their interacting with the outside world, and NPC that are Not Trading and Not Invading can actually access your site. When? I dont know. ToadyOne and Times Lines aren't compatible.

If we want Fortress Mode, Adventure Mode and World Gen to be closer linked (which is kind of the point of this batch of releases), then abducted children should also be able to be brought back to your fortress. However, to bring back these abducted children we will need travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode. However, if we want travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode we will need taverns and inns. And to make these taverns more lively, we will need working instruments, etc.
This won't happen if Toady doesn't let abducted children be brought back in Fortress Mode yet, but I could still easily see this slipping into a feature creep.
I'm aware of what a possible avenue means for having Reunions in both Adventure Mode and Fort Mode. But thats not really feature creep. The overall stated goal of this release was to bring the world more alive. And that goal is /very/ open ended. So getting Fort Mode  working with the outside world defiantly falls under that. The current focus is to bring the Gob, Elf and Dorf Sites back into adventure mode. And ToadyOne could very easily decided that Dorf Sites (for adventure mode) need Inns, which could naturally bleed over Dorf Sites (fort mode) needing them as well.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

misko27

• Bay Watcher
  • Lawful Neutral; Prophet of Pestilence
    • View Profile
« Reply #3348 on: September 18, 2012, 05:24:10 pm »

What exactly is meant by fortress maps?
Given the context (bringing a dwarf's abducted children home), dwarven mountain halls. Which we kind of knew, but I guess we didn't quite have confirmation that they would get in with this release. What's a bit more interesting is the mention of a dwarven duchess, considering that currently, the landed nobles of fortress mode aren't generated in world gen that I've seen. I guess activating that was part of some previous work (the claims, perhaps?).
Wondering this myself.

Will dwarves now use the lesser nobilties in world-gen? Will dwarven mountain hall be listed as barony, duchy, etc? And Finally, Will we see Forced administarters ruling over conqured sites?

Meant to ask the last one earliar.
The Age of Man is over. It is the Fire's turn now

MaximumZero

• Bay Watcher
  • Stare into the abyss.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3349 on: September 18, 2012, 06:02:30 pm »

Are we going to see stealth missions?
Reading the devlog, all I can think about is Metal Beard Solid: Goblin Eater.

Holy crap, why did I not start watching One Punch Man earlier? This is the best thing.
probably figured an autobiography wouldn't be interesting

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3350 on: September 18, 2012, 06:31:11 pm »

Metal Beard Solid: Goblin Eater.
I, for one already have a plan to go through legends and search for crazy over-the-top opponents and undergo a sneaking mission to defeat them.
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3351 on: September 18, 2012, 08:37:27 pm »

Are we going to see stealth missions?
Reading the devlog, all I can think about is Metal Beard Solid: Goblin Eater.
wasn't this already said with the "!" Sound indicators back in a earlier dev log:P ?
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

jellsprout

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3352 on: September 19, 2012, 05:30:13 am »

I feel a feature creep coming up...
How is that a feature creep?

And the answer, is probably, a yea. NPC Adventures will be able to do Quest for your Dorf Fort, but I dont think anything been explicitly stated on this, but it doesnt seem to be an unreasonable ability for Forts to do so, especially once their interacting with the outside world, and NPC that are Not Trading and Not Invading can actually access your site. When? I dont know. ToadyOne and Times Lines aren't compatible.

If we want Fortress Mode, Adventure Mode and World Gen to be closer linked (which is kind of the point of this batch of releases), then abducted children should also be able to be brought back to your fortress. However, to bring back these abducted children we will need travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode. However, if we want travelling adventurers in Fortress Mode we will need taverns and inns. And to make these taverns more lively, we will need working instruments, etc.
This won't happen if Toady doesn't let abducted children be brought back in Fortress Mode yet, but I could still easily see this slipping into a feature creep.
I'm aware of what a possible avenue means for having Reunions in both Adventure Mode and Fort Mode. But thats not really feature creep. The overall stated goal of this release was to bring the world more alive. And that goal is /very/ open ended. So getting Fort Mode  working with the outside world defiantly falls under that. The current focus is to bring the Gob, Elf and Dorf Sites back into adventure mode. And ToadyOne could very easily decided that Dorf Sites (for adventure mode) need Inns, which could naturally bleed over Dorf Sites (fort mode) needing them as well.

Ah right, I understand your position now. Yes, I agree that such things could easily fit in this release. However, I also think that most players don't really have inns and such in mind for the current release. Such a side trail could easily be seen as a feature creep. Especially when you consider everything else that needs to be included to make inns and taverns more alive.
"Having been equipped with tracking collars so their migration and survival in the wild can be measured, the young Sea Serpent is released into the wild.  It is hoped that this captive breeding program will boost their terribly low population numbers and eventually see them removed from the endangered species list..."

Yoink

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3353 on: September 20, 2012, 06:17:12 am »

Now, someone please lemme know if this has already been asked.

If army camps and such are being implemented, presumably with tents, will it be possible to build tents/other simple roofed structures in fort mode? It would really come in handy for surface dwelling, seeing as it's quite time-consuming to build above-ground structures at the moment.

Edit: Okay, so apparently that's been asked already. De-coloured it.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2012, 07:06:30 am by Yoink »
Booze is Life for Yoink

To deprive him of Drink is to steal divinity from God.
you need to reconsider your life
If there's any cause worth dying for, it's memes.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3354 on: September 20, 2012, 07:05:07 am »

Now, someone please lemme know if this has already been asked.

If army camps and such are being implemented, presumably with tents, will it be possible to build tents/other simple roofed structures in fort mode?
It would really come in handy for surface dwelling, seeing as it's quite time-consuming to build above-ground structures at the moment.
Yep. Its been asked. Its also been asked more so for Adventure Mode. Dont remember the answer though currently.

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3355 on: September 20, 2012, 09:01:54 am »

So we'll be able to return people home now? That's great, but will we be able to send out armies or recruit mercenaries to rescue prisoners as well in the next release?

Note "in the next release".

How will you handle expanding player fortress that have been retired? I know player fortresses can be a mess of hallways to nowhere and vast open areas, unlike the computer-generated fortresses.

I assume retiring fortresses will be going in quite soon in the last statement, possibly in the next release.
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3356 on: September 20, 2012, 09:34:05 am »

So we'll be able to return people home now? That's great, but will we be able to send out armies or recruit mercenaries to rescue prisoners as well in the next release?
99% the answer is no. Sending out armies or mercenaries isn't what the upcoming release is about.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

reality.auditor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3357 on: September 20, 2012, 12:52:00 pm »

I assume retiring fortresses will be going in quite soon in the last statement, possibly in the next release.
Why do you think that retiring fortressess (instead of abandoning them) would be going in soon? And why do you think that expanding player-built fortresses by computer will go in with that? I do not see ANYTHING in Toady devlogs that would indicate that he is even nearby stuff like that.

To be clear: I interpret Toady's words "living world" NOT as in running worldgen after starting adventure/fortress. Currently it means that just more happens during worldgen, maybe during start of another adventure/fortress, but thats it. At least it is how I understand it.
Are weapons like the least lethal thing in DF?

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3358 on: September 20, 2012, 01:40:10 pm »

While fortress retirement certainly is still ways off, having entities be "reacting to your acts as you arise to interfere or aid them, with a generous helping of tension between historical figures frosted with beast antics" is a goal for this release.
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #3359 on: September 20, 2012, 08:01:53 pm »

So, ToadyOne is going to be tackling Jumping and climbing. So, I think this means that'll be getting ladders in Fort Mode.
Pages: 1 ... 222 223 [224] 225 226 ... 748