Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 748

Author Topic: Future of the Fortress  (Read 3809823 times)

CaptainArchmage

• Bay Watcher
  • Profile Pic has Changed! Sorry for the Delay.
    • View Profile
Re: Future of the Fortress
« Reply #3390 on: September 21, 2012, 09:18:10 am »

Once again, Toady just exceeded my expectations. We're getting fruits and flowers, so will we have seeding patterns too?

With the addition of fruits and flowers on trees, will animals such as elephants be able to browse trees?

Will roots be able to damage structures within your fortress?

Are all trees going to use the new multi-tile code?

Some real life trees, such as Baobabs, store large quantities of water inside their trunks. Will some large trees be filled with replenishing water?

How compatible will this version be with previous saves?

Now that climbing is going in, will we be getting ladders?
Given current events, I've altered my profile pic and I'm sorry it took so long to fix. If you find the old one on any of my accounts elsewhere on the internet, let me know by message (along with the specific site) and I'll fix. Can't link the revised avatar for some reason.

Phibes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3391 on: September 21, 2012, 10:38:53 am »

Will invaders be linked to the new elven and goblin sites?

And if so, will this have any effect on sieges? Variety of unit types, historical figures, etc?

pisskop

• Bay Watcher
  • Too old and stubborn to get a new avatar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3392 on: September 21, 2012, 10:43:22 am »

Will Kobolds or cave civs see any revision?
Pisskop's Reblancing Mod - A C:DDA Mod to make life a little (lot) more brutal!
drealmerz7 - pk was supreme pick for traitor too I think, and because of how it all is and pk is he is just feeding into the trollfucking so well.
PKs DF Mod!

Rip0k

• Bay Watcher
  • R.I.P.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3393 on: September 21, 2012, 10:52:24 am »

Will climbing require special equipment, like grappling hooks, spiked shoes, picks and so on?

With this new climbing mechanics, will we see those high cliffs back again?
Rip0k cancels chillin, struck down by water pipe shot!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3394 on: September 21, 2012, 10:59:09 am »

Will Bamboo "grass" turn to Bamboo "Trees"? Also will we have multitile "Bushes" and "Hedges" like ribes, Hazelnuts or Hibiscus?

edit:

Will certain Trees/bushes/plants breed by other means then fruits and seeds? Like over the Rhizome by vegetative reproduction (natures own cloning) etc.? (
quaking aspen does this)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 11:05:52 am by Heph »
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Torchy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3395 on: September 21, 2012, 11:09:23 am »

Very excited for the vegetation changes. Might as well post the multi-tile tree mockups I made.

Damn, I've been worried about how multi-tile trees will look in the ASCII, because I've had trouble visualizing them in a way that would both make it clear what they are and not be ass-ugly to look at. But those, those are beautiful. If I wasn't so sure Toady's design will surprise me I'd recommend he use something like that. Those branches, those leaves - wow!

Mel_Vixen

• Bay Watcher
  • Hobby: accidently thread derailment
    • View Profile
« Reply #3396 on: September 21, 2012, 11:16:06 am »

I wonder how toady is going to code the trees. I dont think he will use a standard palette like many games. Since trees are already in the raws i could imagine today will add some "growth-rules"  to them making them more or less fractal along the lines of the set rules. Given enough diversity and values any kind of tree/plant could be created. The interaction between trees now (as in a forrest) is another interresting problem.
[sarcasm] You know what? I love grammar Nazis! They give me that warm and fuzzy feeling. I am so ashamed of my bad english and that my first language is German. [/sarcasm]

Proud to be a Furry.

Putnam

• Bay Watcher
  • DAT WIZARD
    • View Profile
« Reply #3397 on: September 21, 2012, 11:23:47 am »

Hey, I just realized! We passed Toady's original set release date for DF a week ago!

Eight years.

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3398 on: September 21, 2012, 11:30:32 am »

I wonder how toady is going to code the trees. I dont think he will use a standard palette like many games. Since trees are already in the raws i could imagine today will add some "growth-rules"  to them making them more or less fractal along the lines of the set rules. Given enough diversity and values any kind of tree/plant could be created. The interaction between trees now (as in a forrest) is another interresting problem.

Custom workshops already have a "layout" framework, i don't see if that would be too difficult to change trees to use a workshop type of format where each stage of construction is instead a layer of tree growth.

i think this tool is the best example of what i mean : http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=54004.0
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!

CLA

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3399 on: September 21, 2012, 12:30:35 pm »

I think following real life organization would be the easiest and most modular (including user mods) solution. You could even apply it to grass.
Separating it into
ROOT
STEM
LEAF

and giving it tags like
LIGNIFIED
XYLEM
ANGIOSPERM
etc
And for the actual growth, a couple of parameters could be enough.
Given that a lot of these tags are also traits that determine their taxonomy, it'd be easy to assign tags and find mistakes.
Edit:
Multi tile plants would be part of one of the parameters. For non multi-tile plants, it would translate the parameters into more simple categories (i.e. "dense" grass, "very dense" grass, etc)
« Last Edit: September 21, 2012, 12:34:23 pm by CLA »
CLA - an ASCII-like Graphic Pack with simplified letter-like creature graphics. The simple and clean looks of ASCII with distinct creature graphics - best of both worlds!

http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=105376.0

Knight Otu

• Bay Watcher
  • ☺4[
    • View Profile
« Reply #3400 on: September 21, 2012, 01:50:21 pm »

Will Kobolds or cave civs see any revision?
Apparently.
goblin/elf/dwarf/kobold sites
Unless by cave civs you mean cavern civs like the deep animal men. They'll probably have to wait.

Also, I'm pretty sure that most of the plant/tree questions that have been posted here would be answered in the upcoming devlogs anyway because of how important they are. I understand the enthusiasm, but shouldn't we wait a little bit to see what we won't know?
Direforged Original
Random Raw Scripts - Randomly generated Beasts , Vermin, Hags, Vampires, and Civilizations
Castle Otu

therahedwig

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • wolthera.info
« Reply #3401 on: September 21, 2012, 02:54:36 pm »

Ah, do you guys think semi-rotten fruits will contain alchohol? They do in real life and I heard cows sometimes get drunk on fruit :D

Very excited for this release, as person who made shit for stonesense, I adored the grass and I'm excitedly awaiting flowers and trees :D
Stonesense Grim Dark 0.2 Alternate detailed and darker tiles for stonesense. Now with all ores!

Sidhien

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3402 on: September 21, 2012, 03:18:35 pm »

What is this? He's working on elves before dwarves.

Toady One, I respect you, but I'm concerned your priorities are not in order.

HOLY CRAP those trees are awesome!

Talvieno

• Bay Watcher
  • Hello, Death. How's life?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3403 on: September 21, 2012, 03:35:45 pm »

Will tree roots be multi-tile, and if so, will they remain and decay after the tree is chopped down?
edit:
Will creatures in Dwarf Fortress mode and/or Adventure mode be able to jump across one-tile gaps at the same z-level?
edited again, but the question still stands.
« Last Edit: September 22, 2012, 07:06:11 am by Talvieno »
Quote from: Mr Frog
Talvieno ... seems to be able to smash out novella-length tales on demand

darklord92

• Bay Watcher
  • [CREATURE:SERGALNORTH]
    • View Profile
« Reply #3404 on: September 21, 2012, 03:36:21 pm »

What is this? He's working on elves before dwarves.

Toady One, I respect you, but I'm concerned your priorities are not in order.

Who says he's not saving the best for last?

I'll be interesting to finally be able to visit all of the sites instead of just human towns ^^
Form walking potato man out of corpse. Absorb anyone else in the house.
We have a successful derail.
The Vilous Mod - Jingle berries!
Pages: 1 ... 225 226 [227] 228 229 ... 748