Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: "Something" is killing my Demons!!!  (Read 7308 times)

tahujdt

• Bay Watcher
  • The token conservative
    • View Profile
Re: "Something" is killing my Demons!!!
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2012, 06:38:49 pm »

Macs are most definitely evil. GO PC!
DFBT the Dwarf: The only community podcast for Dwarf Fortress!
Tahu-R-TOA-1, Troubleshooter
I suggest that we add a clause permitting the keelhauling of anyone who suggests a plan involving "zombify the crew".
Quote from: MNII
Friend Computer, can you repair the known universe, please?

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2012, 06:40:53 pm »

Anteater Monster "A gigantic feathered Anteater twisted into humanoid form. It's bronze feathers are patchy. Beware it's deadly dust!"

This is your explanation, right there. Deadly dust is the absolute deadliest thing in the game. These dudes are killing their buddies.
Second, those are clown names and descriptions; it may be that your spires each have different types of clowns associated with them, but those are definitely the naming conventions and descriptions of the clown parade.

You have an infestation of fratricidal clowns.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
  • Joined in the great Migration of 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2012, 06:44:10 pm »

Well in any case here is the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5476

I would love someone to use reveal and scan for these things.

if they ARE Demons killing each other, I envision this immense pile of corpses in Hell.
Ask not what the Dwarfs can do for you...
But ask.... why are they drunk all the time?

krenshala

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2012, 06:52:29 pm »

Well in any case here is the save:
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5476

I would love someone to use reveal and scan for these things.

if they ARE Demons killing each other, I envision this immense pile of corpses in Hell.
Which seems quite appropriate, considering. ;)
Quote from: Haspen
Quote from: phoenixuk
Zepave Dawnhogs the Butterfly of Vales the Marsh Titan ... was taken out by a single novice axedwarf and his pet war kitten. Long Live Domas Etasastesh Adilloram, slayer of the snow butterfly!
Doesn't quite have the ring of heroics to it...
Mother: "...and after the evil snow butterfly was defeated, Domas and his kitten lived happily ever after!"
Kids: "Yaaaay!"

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2012, 07:11:29 pm »

Huh, this is weird. Never saw anythinglike this before. To the save!
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 12, 2012, 08:59:59 pm »

You get different demons every time you breach the circus.  And I can confirm they're killing eachother wit their secretions/dusts/etc.  It's hilarious to watch.  I've had amber demons dusting eachother off of ledges to their shattering deaths

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 12, 2012, 09:22:06 pm »

Screen shots I DEMAND Screendshots!!!
 :D :D :D :D

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 12, 2012, 09:28:21 pm »

Screen shots I DEMAND Screendshots!!!
 :D :D :D :D

I don't have any, sorry.  I don't think I even put any in the old swordthunders thread as I just ignored them.  They'd sit on a ledge and dust eachother when a random dwarf went near them.  It'd always send one or two falling to their deaths without so much as harming the dwarf that approached them

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 12, 2012, 10:36:59 pm »

Didn't you also have problems with them mingling with demons made of flame? Massive explosion or Macedonian erosion?
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 12, 2012, 10:42:20 pm »

Didn't you also have problems with them mingling with demons made of flame? Massive explosion or Macedonian erosion?

No, that was the problem of killing them without them reducing the dwarf that popped them into a melted pile of goo clutching an iron/steel/candy weapon.

Also, I have no idea how Clowns would interact with FB's or goblins.  I presume a free-for-all slaughter of all involved, but I've never really figured out the classifications on the Evil stuff (eg; if FB's and Demons are the same Evil X so they won't attack eachother, but will attack goblins and trolls as they're Evil Y)

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 13, 2012, 12:43:51 am »

It's more a civ-related problem than good/evil related. All wildlife and undead, FB's/titans, mega- and semi-megabeasts, night creatures/bogeymen and demons have a civilization modifier of -1, whereas goblins or any other civilized races, including bandit groups, and their tamed pets belong to a civilization with a different civ number, unique to each civilization. -1 is always hostile to all other civs (the behavioral AI of a specific creature seems dependant on their RAW structure though), while goblins and kobolds have entity tags that force them to be hostile to all other civs. There may or may not be some infighting within -1 as well, but to test it you'd have to take a fort with access to members of each class within -1 [reinsert list here], capture them, and begin mix-and-matching them in arenas under various conditions.

The use of numbers to identify civ alignment comes from Runesmith so I'm not sure if that's literally how DF considers it or an idealized representation, but changing the number modifier within runesmith has consistant results, though. (Making wildlife populations a member of your civ makes them friendly and possibly recruitable if they're sentient and can speak, and changing their number to -1 makes them hostile again.)
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 13, 2012, 03:17:21 am »

Using a non moded version of the newest release...
I AM running it on a Mac, perhaps causing extra evil?

I thought the new release had come out, so I scrolled up to check -_-
Anywho, is there a chance the demons are fighting themselves? And, in my experiences, demons never syndromed themselves to death...
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 13, 2012, 03:47:33 am »

Demons can't really affect each other through syndromes, actually. They have no creature class, and every toxin in the game has an 'affected class,' usually GENERAL_POISON, which is the only class that syndrome will target. They're also explicitly immune to their own syndromes. It's still possible that they're using dust attacks and getting shoved off into glowing pits, though.
I make Spellcrafts!

Crossroads Inc.

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 13, 2012, 07:27:41 am »

Without screenshots there is no way to know for certain.

Aussie seemed to say he was able to watch it, that it was demons being blasted off ledgeds, but demons can Fly can't they?

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 13, 2012, 07:34:34 am »

Without screenshots there is no way to know for certain.

Aussie seemed to say he was able to watch it, that it was demons being blasted off ledgeds, but demons can Fly can't they?

Depends on the type.  The species you'll get are randomly generated when you breach the circus and you'll only ever get demons of those types.  I got flying terrorsaurs (pretty much as described.  Nothing nasty, just really hard to kill), amber demons that exhaled dust (they were fun - as I said; most of the time they knocked eachother off of ledges), Spring Demons (giant koalas, according to the description.  Didn't fly, but send a dwarf flying into a wall at lethal speeds), and one or two others.  Only the Terrorsaurs could fly.
Pages: 1 [2] 3