Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119613 times)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 19: 1964-1965
« Reply #750 on: April 28, 2012, 02:40:44 pm »

And fixed, as for the question Nirur asked: I'll use it as a companion to another ship once I get further research done, I can use it, and the main ship in conjunction. The Main will house the majority of stuff while that rocket will house the agriculture stuff needed for prolonged survival in space. The rockets would of course be connected before launch.
Alright. You might want to wait on designing it, then. It's going to take over a decade to get the tech you need, a 20m ship would let you carry more maintenance supplies, and you'll need better engines/fuel to get it to launch, let alone leave orbit.

10ebbor10: What sort of production chain will we need to produce maintenance supplies off of the Earth's surface? Just Mine => Refinery => Factory? What about a production chain capable of self-sufficient expansion?

SoHowAreYou

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Game
« Reply #751 on: April 28, 2012, 03:14:54 pm »

Could I assimilate the Dutch because those guys are awesome I mean they live below sea level right next to the sea!
Starting marching band will not be able to post everyday.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #752 on: April 28, 2012, 03:18:12 pm »

@ adwarf: Remeber your cash and tech bonus for starting late.

And fixed, as for the question Nirur asked: I'll use it as a companion to another ship once I get further research done, I can use it, and the main ship in conjunction. The Main will house the majority of stuff while that rocket will house the agriculture stuff needed for prolonged survival in space. The rockets would of course be connected before launch.
Alright. You might want to wait on designing it, then. It's going to take over a decade to get the tech you need, a 20m ship would let you carry more maintenance supplies, and you'll need better engines/fuel to get it to launch, let alone leave orbit.

10ebbor10: What sort of production chain will we need to produce maintenance supplies off of the Earth's surface? Just Mine => Refinery => Factory? What about a production chain capable of self-sufficient expansion?
Earth: cash --> everything
For space it depends

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #753 on: April 29, 2012, 04:48:26 am »

Host an international space conference for $5000. Make a presentation of this year's launch for $2000 for this conference. Also release the results of ASTRO's interplanetary launches at the conference.
Is that release in the sense of giving it to everyone for free ?

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #754 on: April 29, 2012, 05:12:06 am »

Yes, I want to give it away for free, but not the moon map, solar flare studies or space health studies.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(4/6-8 Players) Turn:0 Game start
« Reply #755 on: April 29, 2012, 07:17:04 am »

Research:
-Basic Life Support Hub: Recycles air, and water to allow extended stays in space, works well in combination with the Agricultural Hub for my ship
-Basic Crew Quarters Hub: Houses a crew to maintain the space shuttle, and a few extra.
-Large Thruster: 3x as effective as the Small Thrusters (My bonus 1000 RP to this)

Things you are designing:
Excalibur I
-Small Fuel Tank (5 Meter Height)
-Small Thrusters (1 Meter Height)
-Single Stage Hull (10 Meter Capacity)
-Agricultural Hub (4 Meter Height)

Building things(If you want to)
None

Other things
None
Um adwarf, You only start of with one lab.You can use the funds to upgrade it(for example expanding to 3 researches would cost 15.000) though. Also, a thruster 3  time as effective as the small one can be quite large. (5M, something like that.) Besides the rocket hulls you start with are not shuttle hulls, and in fact can't survive atmospheric reentry.

I'm going to assume you did that, and if you want me to change it i'll retroactively edit.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 07:30:11 am by 10ebbor10 »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #756 on: April 29, 2012, 07:37:29 am »

Turn 20: 1965-1966

World news:

Nothing happens. However you can now choose a free perk.

Spoiler: Perks (click to show/hide)

County relations:
                 US                Spain         Scot                China                  Austria         Wales        Britain     
US:           Neutral,        Neutral,       Bad                 Neutral,               Neutral         Neutral      Neutral       
Spain:       Neutral,        Neutral        Neutral,           Neutral,               Neutral         Neutral      Neutral         
Scotland:   Bad              Neutral,       Neutral,          T-A    ,                 Neutral         Neutral      Neutral         
CHina        Neutral,        Neutral,       T-A   ,            Neutral,                Neutral         Neutral      Neutral         
Austria :    Neutral,        Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,                United          Neutral      Neutral           
Wales:      Neutral,        Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,                Neutral         Neutral      Neutral 
Britain       Neutral,        Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,                Neutral         Neutral      Neutral

Spoiler: Austrian armamanent (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Spanish governement (click to show/hide)

Research:
Dr Smith will develop a 2m tall altitude compensating thruster (free) Work here goes fast.
Lab 1 with the help of Konrad Becker will continue improving the reusability chance of the reusable single stage hull ($2000) Work here goes even faster.
Lab 2 with the help of Robert Caldwell (the fuel scientist) will develop a kerosene based fuel ($1000) Work here doesn't progress
Lab 3 with the help of the electronics researcher will improve the instrumentation on the Long Term SEA satellite ($1000) Work here goes quite fast.
Research cost:$4000

Design:
Recalculate the Hyperion RLV design using new technological developments.
Retire the Redstone II design.

Construction:
Improve the training equipment of my astronaut center (increase the maximum effect of training) (-$5000) Done. This also heightens the max training lvl.
Construction cost: $5000

Production:
2 LTSEA satellites (-$3000)
Production cost: $3000

Launch:
Launch the two LTSEA satellites into LEO with a Hyperion. Have the satellites study solar flares.
The Hyperion launches and lands without trouble, deploying the sattelites in the lower atmosphere.

Other:
Host an international space conference for $5000. Make a presentation of this year's launch for $2000 for this conference. Also release the results of ASTRO's interplanetary launches at the conference.
Other cost: $7000
Conference results:

Your video tape was only mildly succesfull.+ 2 prestige.
The release of the planetary studies doesn't make much of a big impact at all, sadly.

Nirurs space station was quite succesfull, though it was plagued by several technical difficulties, including catching on fire. The personal attendence of his leader did leave an impresson however.
+2 Prestige

Khashyks video steals the show. That full surround sound system might have been expensive but it was worth it.
+6 prestige

The total event nets you an addition 1 prestige.

Total cost: $19000

C.H.A.S.E. Yearly report

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Reduce the Docking System weight. Work here goes slow.
Lab 2nd floor: Water recycling system for a space station. Work here doesn't progress at all, but at least there isn't any damage.
Lab 3rd floor (Shaiming Hu): Improve the spacegym's duration bonus. Work goes quite fast.
Lab 4th floor (Specialized for space stations) (Yi shing): Increase the duration of my Large Sleeping Quarters. Work here progresses.

Design & Production
None.

Construction
Upgrade my mission control to allow a third mission per year ($10,000) Done. You can now do 4 missions. (That's how it is supposed to progress)

Missions:
Preferred pilots: Taikonauts Two, Six, and Eight.
First mission:
  Payload: 2m hull piece with 2 docking systems and a 1m hull piece with 1 docking system. Use Spaceducttape. ($1800)
  Get the payload into stable LEO.

The launch goes well, and the cargo is safely delivered in space.

Second mission:
  If any missions from myself or Toaster failed to get their payload into orbit, repeat the mission. My previous mission has priority.
  If everything somehow succeeded, bring my space suits and any remaining oxygen tanks (plus more if needed) from last mission and collect/assemble the hull pieces.

There are some problems at start, but the launch is succesfull. The station pieces are succesfully put together. All oxygen tanks have been used now though. The reentry is succesfull too.
You get 4 prestige from the flight.

Taikonauts:
Send Taikonaut One to pilot for the Scottish for missions involving the space station until further notice, to ensure their inferior pilots don't destroy everything I love and care about.
Redesignate Taikonaut Two to Tiruin, in honor of the war hero.

Other:
Aerospace department investment (year 5 of 5) ($1000) [Preference is a propulsion expert] You get 1 propulsion expert.
Trade with Toaster: Spaceducttape for Cargo Clamps and new data on Docking Systems.
Give Toaster $4000 (To offset the cost of his Explorer Mk IIs.)
Use my trait to improve my second launch's prestige.
Join the international conference! Create a fake mock-up of what my initial station will look like if everything goes well, which people may walk around in. (Two large sleeping quarters, a 2m life support system, the control hub, the gym, and a laboratory. The entrance and exit will be shaped like shuttles.) My leader shall personally attend. ($1200) See Nirurs turn.

Other: The old german engineer you had has decided to quit.

Total expenses: $22,000

STARS Yearly report

Research
-Dr Faust continues with Magnetic Thruster Theorem. Work here progresses.
-Dr Barrueco works on Solar Cells, and applying them to the Comm Sat. Work here doesn't progress. But doctor Barrueco can damage to the lab.

Manufacture
Build an Explorador

Missions
Launch an Explorador with 2 Mano de Ayudas and a Comm sat to GEO.
The launch goes succesfully.

Other
Send a message to all the universities, offering jobs to students with potential, and sponsorship to help them with their studies. (2000+PR) You manage to find one scientist of your choice
Go to the conference held by ASTRO, donate some money to it's running, and show the promofilm. (2000) See: Rulerofnothing

Expenditure
7275 (1k Magna-Thrusters, 1k Solar Cells,  500 Comm sat, 775 Explorador, 2k Scientist hunt, 2k conference)

DWARF Yearly report.
Research:
Continue to develop a size 4 space lab module- just general improvement.  If you need something specific, start with decreasing the supply usage. Work here progresses.

[Electronics Expert] Continue work on the short-range anti-missile module for pure defensive use. Work here progresses, but slowly.

Improve the protection of the improved duct tape. Work here progresses.

Increase the reusability of the Space Shuttle hull.  (This is still possible, right?  If not, thruster scientist will try to get more power out of the large thruster.  I believe it's 3k either way.) Work goes slow.

Designs:

Try to decrease the failure chance of the Supporter. No progress is made. (Your design is near optimal already)

Building:

Can we add a Reentry Coordination Center to the command center to improve the success of reentry?  If so, do it.  (5k?) Yup. I'd even give you a bonus to all landings.

Other:

Build another Explorer.  (7400)

Trade my duct tape tech (plus any improvements this turn) to Nirur for his Cargo Clamp tech.

Launch an Explorer to LEO carrying two empty 4m shuttle pieces, each with two docking systems, using the space duct tape.  Leave them in stable orbit and return.

If that's too heavy (unsure of the weight of empty pieces), split it over two launches.
The first launch goes well and it's landing goes without problems. However during the second launch the shuttle hits a passing bird, resulting in moderate damage to the cockpit module. However the safety windows held and launch, cargo delivery were succesfully handled. However the repair of the shuttle will cost about 2000 dollars.

Expenses: 18.4 k  (6k research, 7.4k shuttle, 5k building)

Kingfisher: ASC monthly report

Research: Mass drivers and superconductors, the latter headed by Heinz Franz(General Scientist )
Mass drivers:Research here surges forward
Superconuctors: Near explosion in the lab. Franz managed to prevent damage.
Manufacture: A D1.
Launch: A D1, focusing on the heightmap. Launch succesfull.
Other: Ask the military about the uses for D1's. The military wants to pay you 12.000 for a completed hightmap of earth.

Don't forget your extra lab.

2.000+562.5

Note: In order for your mass driver/ VASImir to work, you need to upgrade your supermagnet tech to at least 1.

C.a.s.p.

Transfer as much as possible to the U.S. Your governement puts a stop to the transferring of funds and facilities, but allows the transfer of 5 techs of Rulerofnothings choice.

Search
search for a robotics and computer and a nano technology scientist 5k for the search. You find a computer and a robotics scientist.

Construction
I will expand the lab thrice 35k

Research
I will research nanotechnology for 3k Work here progresses.
The material scientist will make a light but strong material for hulls 1k  Work here progresses mediocre

Start with
For points I want to research computer miniaturization for 100 computers in general for 100 and commercialization so more like PC's then shuttle rockets for 100 nanomachines for 700

Also sell the miniaturized computers out to whoever will buy. Set up facilities with 5k  Done

Expensies: 35+5+4+5= 49

Research:
-Basic Life Support Hub: Recycles air, and water to allow extended stays in space, works well in combination with the Agricultural Hub for my ship Work here progresses
 -Basic Crew Quarters Hub: Houses a crew to maintain the space shuttle, and a few extra-[SUSPENDED BECAUSE OF LAB SIZE]
- Large Thruster: 3x as effective as the Small Thrusters (My bonus 1000 RP to this) .[SUSPENDED BECAUSE OF LAB SIZE]

Excalibur I

Other things
None

Sattelites and other things in orbit:

Mercury

Earth
Leo:
Advanced SEO: Solar flames: 2 years left
Advanced SEO: Solar flames: 2 years left

Station: ?
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Moon
Mars

Promises:( All due by the end of the stated year)
Toaster:
Kashyk: Comm sat to GEO by 1966 Done
Ruler of nothing: Mars flyby by 1965  Done
Nirur Torin: Space station by 1965 Not done yet, depends on the progress of the sattion next yurn.

Players:
Player name: Xin Su
Archetype: Lobbyist Political Commissar
Traits: Taikonaut trainer
Funds: 16525 (+18250)
Prestige:32
Organisation Name: Chinese Assembly for Space Exploration (CHASE)
      -Motto: Ensuring China's dominance of the Solar System.
      -Nation: People's Republic of China

Spoiler: Researched Components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rockets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Taikonauts (click to show/hide)

Player Name:  Urist McLowe
Archetype: Engineer
Traits: Charismatic: Bonus to attracting/recuiting special people
Funds:31650 (+19000)
Prestige:30
Organisation Name: DeWard Aeronautical Research Foundation [DWARF]
      Motto: Strike the moon!
      Nation: Scotland

- Scotonaut training facility (2/10 people)
              -Security station
             - Space expo: Can hold theme days(5000) which have a chance to attract scientists.
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Scotonauts (click to show/hide)

Player name: Alexis Solsona
Traits: PR
Funds: 11875 (12000)
Prestige: 24
Organisation Name: Science, Technology And Research in Space (STARS)
      -Motto:  Vamos a infinito y más allá!
      -Nation: Spain

Spoiler: -Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Assets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Personnel (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
Player Name: Dr James Smith
Archetype: Scientist
Traits: Manager
Funds: 5713 (17800+1738=19538)
Prestige:31
Organisation Name: American Space Technology and Research Organisation (ASTRO)
Motto: Exploring space for the greater good of mankind.
Nation: USA

Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: astronauts (click to show/hide)
[/quote]

Player name: Franz Herdinand
Skills: Scientsist
Funds: 3425(6000)
Prestige: 10
Organisation Name: ASC Austrian Space Center
      -Motto: 'Screw the rest'
      -Nation: Austria

Player name: Anderson Spaceman
Archetype: Scientist
Traits: Scientist
Funds: 6315(+4000+ 1500= 5500)
Prestige: 6
Organisation Name: Have fun with Acronyms
      -Motto: C.A.S.P (Canadian air and space program)
      -Nation: Oh Canaduuhhh
      -
Spoiler: Researched components (click to show/hide)

[/spoiler]
       -
Spoiler: Rockets: (click to show/hide)

-
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)

Player name: Samuel Whales
Archetype:Scientist
Funds: 3,000(+2000)
Prestige:0
Organisation Name: W.I.S. Welsh in Space
      -Motto:In space nobody can hear the party.
      -Nation: Whales
      -Researched components:
             Fuel Storage
             - Small fuel tank  ( 125 liters of liquid fuel per meter height)

Propulsion
             - Small thrusters   Weight 100 kg, Failure chance 50%, 1meter high, Can carry 2kg of weight to LEO per liter fuel, Max fuel use: 1000)

Chassis
             - Single stage hull(75 kg weight per meters high, max 10 meters)
            Theoretical
            Nanotech: Allows the research of self repairing steel, advanced solar pannels and nanomedicin(Or attempts at least) [7.76]
            Computer miniturization:[1.0]
            Computer commercialization:1000 profit [1.0]
            Light hull alloy: Nothing practical yet [0.5]

-Assets:small factory, 4 floor lab, launch pad, and mission control, computer fab

-Special people:
Material scientist( +40)
Robotics(+10)
Computer (+10)

Player name:
Archetype: Buisnessman
Funds: 60.100 (+1100)
Prestige:
Organisation Name: P.ro S.pace O.rganization
      -Motto: "For the betterment of our knowledge."
      -Nation: Britain

Spoiler: -Researched components (click to show/hide)
       -Designs

-Assets

-Special people

Gm note
« Last Edit: April 30, 2012, 02:41:48 am by 10ebbor10 »

adwarf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(7/8 Players) Turn 20: 1965-1966
« Reply #757 on: April 29, 2012, 07:46:59 am »

((I'll take the Scientific trait))

Research:
-Basic Life Support Hub: Recycles air, and water to allow extended stays in space, works well in combination with the Agricultural Hub for my ship
-Basic Crew Quarters Hub: Houses a crew to maintain the space shuttle, and a few extra.
-Large Thruster: 3x as effective as the Small Thrusters (My bonus 1000 RP to this)

Excalibur I Continue designing this

Building things(If you want to)
Spend 30.000 to expand my labs, and improve them for the betterment of science!
Upgrade Mission Control

Other things
None

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #758 on: April 29, 2012, 07:48:30 am »

Oops, sorry, forgot to roll for that one . Fixing stuff.

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #759 on: April 29, 2012, 08:28:22 am »

10ebbor10, a few questions:
  • Can the SEA satellites make a height map of Earth?
  • Is it possible to have a 2m, 400kg AC thruster?
  • If not, how much can the effectiveness be increased?
  • Is it possible to put multiple fuel tanks on the same level?
  • How far can I extend the operational time of my 3 man capsule?
  • Why is Taikonaut two working for me now?
Also kingfisher1112, I am probably going to be taking two technologies that you developed, do you want anything in the way of compensation for them?

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #760 on: April 29, 2012, 08:38:53 am »

I would like sattelite tech. Also, I might be slinging some free tech to you for your partnership with CASP.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #761 on: April 29, 2012, 08:45:29 am »

By satellite tech do you mean my transmitter satellite or my SEA satellite?

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #762 on: April 29, 2012, 08:48:07 am »

10ebbor10, a few questions:
  • Can the SEA satellites make a height map of Earth?
  • Is it possible to have a 2m, 400kg AC thruster?
  • If not, how much can the effectiveness be increased?
  • Is it possible to put multiple fuel tanks on the same level?
  • How far can I extend the operational time of my 3 man capsule?
  • Why is Taikonaut two working for me now?
Also kingfisher1112, I am probably going to be taking two technologies that you developed, do you want anything in the way of compensation for them?
1. Yeah, probably.
2. Why not
3. to 3.0
4. Only by using an external fuel tank
5. A week, maybe 2 Not much more
6. Oops, screw up.

kingfisher1112

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #763 on: April 29, 2012, 08:54:27 am »

SEA.
Turn:
Research: Same as before, but also working on an overclocked sensor that runs off solar power. Note, did I get a Nat. 100?
Design:
Panchea 1
1 VASIMIR engine
1 Fuel tank
5 Solar panels
3 Sensors

Other: Perk: PR. Find a good university to have me come along and demonstrate the technology being slung around by the organisation.
I honestly thought this was going to be about veterinarians.
Ermey: 26/4/13

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #764 on: April 29, 2012, 09:02:12 am »

Research:
Dr Smith will start researching nuclear power (free)
Lab 1 with the help of Robert Caldwell will make another attempt to develop kerosene based fuel (-$1000)
Lab 2 with the help of the electronics scientist will develop a large solar powered comms satellite (-$1000)
Lab 3 will increase the success rate of the 3 man capsule (-$1000)
Research cost:$3000

Design:
None this year.

Construction:
Expand the battery factory (-$10000)
Construction cost:$10000

Production:
2 Redstone III rockets (-$1950)
3 LTSEA satellites (-$6000)
Production cost: $7950

Launch:
Launch 1: Launch a LTSEA satellite into lunar orbit with a Redstone III and have it take pictures of the surface.
Launch 2: Launch a LTSEA satellite into Mars orbit with a Redstone III and have it take pictures of the surface.
Launch 3: Launch a LTSEA satellite into Venus orbit with a Redstone III and have it study the atmosphere further.
Launch 4: Launch a LTSEA satellite into LEO with a Hyperion to study space health effects.

Other:
Take the scientific perk.
Get the medium explosive, spysat, power battery, superconductor and mass driver tech from CASP.
Give the SEA satellite technology (the basic one) to ASC.

Total cost: $20950
« Last Edit: April 29, 2012, 10:14:08 pm by RulerOfNothing »
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 67