Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67

Author Topic: The Space Race: Forum game(6/8 Players) Turn 24: 1969-1970  (Read 119665 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 9: 1954-1955
« Reply #360 on: March 07, 2012, 07:44:37 am »

Is it possible to have a thruster with a failure chance lower than 10%? Also 10ebbor10, do you mind if I make a table listing the achievements and capabilities of each space program after you put turn 10 up?
Yes, but you need to specifically state you're going for a safe thruster. ( I'll let you go down to 5 but no less). No I don't mind. Can't guarantee I'd use it though.
I do have a little but slightly predictable suprise for the next turn.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(6/6-8 Players) Full. Turn 7: 1952-1953
« Reply #361 on: March 07, 2012, 10:59:35 am »

Turn 10: 1955-1956
World news:

Nothing happened

Also, since most of the Spacecenters are now a decade old, there are quite a lot of celebrations. Also presents: Every player gets an additional perk or can upgrade and existing one:
Spoiler: Perks (click to show/hide)

County relations:
             USSR             US                Spain      Scot              China        W-Germ        Israel          Austria     Canada
USSR:    Neutral ,     Neutral,        T-A,            Neutral,         Neutral,      Neutral          Neutral        Neutral    Neutral
US:        Neutral,      Neutral,        Neutral,       Neutral,         Neutral,      Neutral         T-Embargo   Neutral    Neutral
Spain:    T-A,           Neutral,       Civil war*,     Neutral,        Neutral,       T-A              Neutral        Neutral    Neutral
Scotland:Neutral ,     Neutral,       Neutral,        Neutral,         T-A    ,        T- Embargo  Neutral        Neutral    Neutral
CHina:    Neutral ,     Neutral,       Neutral,        T-A   ,           Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral       Neutral    Neutral
W-Germ:Neutral ,     Neutral,        T-A     ,        T-Embargo,   Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral    T-Embargo  Neutral
Israel:    Neutral ,     T-Embargo,  Neutral,         Neutral,        Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral       Neutral    Neutral
Austria : Neutral ,     Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,        Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral       Neutral    Neutral
Canada: Neutral ,     Neutral,        Neutral,        Neutral,         Neutral,       Neutral         Neutral       Neutral    Neutral

* Fighting has increased. Several provinces have been conquered by the rebels. The Russians are sending aid and tanks. The first rocket has been launched.

W.A.T. Yearly report

Research:
Lab 1: continue research on small nuclear powerplants (+40 Secret Weapons Scientist). Research is impossible because the lab is radioactive. (REPAIR COST =5000)
Lab 2: continue Research on Kerosene (+10 Fuel Scientist). Work on the Kerosene fuel progresses.

Building:

2 More Regained II including warheads. DONE

Other:
Show the World Media, our evidences about the Austrian Spionage incident and of course the dear little sucker himself ( thereby trying to worsen German-Austrian Relations, or forcing Austrians to pay recompense)You succesfully manage to worsen the relations between Austria and Germany, and have convinced most of the world media.

ask if the Spanish Rebels want more rockets now that they are winning ground. In case of yes sell all our rockets. The Russian troops managed to cut off all the rebels supply routes. You couldn't contact them.

The German military still doesn't want to buy any rockets but they do ask you some questions: Why are these some similair to the rockets the rebels used? WHy did you make them?  They threathen to take serious measures if you don't answer their questions satisfactoy (   :o That was a bad roll)

Expenses: 1000+ 1000 warheads + 2100 rockets:

ASTRO Yearly report

Research:
Dr Smith will increase the survivability of the life support module (free) Work on the module progresses.
Lab 1 will reduce the weight of the single stage hull with the help of Konrad Becker (-$1000). Work here progresses fast. You reach the minimal weight quickly so the researcher  continues to increase the height limit. ( NEW COST TO UPGRADE: 2000)
Lab 2 will continue to improve the standard fuel (-$1000) Work here progresses.
Research cost:$2000

Design:
None this year.

Production:
1 Redstone II (-$775)
1 SEA satellite (-$1000)
Production cost: $1775

Construction:
Rebuild Dr Smith's labratory (-$5000)
Construction cost: $5000

Launch:
Launch a SEA satellite into medium earth orbit using a Redstone II, with the same research objective as the first SEA mission.
The launch succeeds

Other:
Announce that ASTRO will send a probe past the moon to take pictures of its far side in the next 3 years.
Your announcement is unsuccesfull and is soon drowned in a lot of cheeserelated jokes.
Trade my improved fuel for CASP's improved fuel tanks.

Total cost:$2000+$1775+$5000= $8775

You recieve some additional funds: +1000

C.H.A.S.E. Yearly report

CHASE

Research:
Lab 1st floor: Taikonaut training facility. Um you don't actually need to research this one. Just build it.
Lab 2nd floor: Escape rocket. Work on the escape rocket progress quickly.
Lab 3rd floor: Life support, theoretical. Work on the lifesupport progresses quickly. There are 2 types of lifesupport systems though. One that filters the air using carbonfilters and then adds new oxygen out of a tank and one that uses chemical processes to turn the air back breathable. Type 1 requires supplies from the ground but Type 2 uses far more power.

Design & Production
Mothball the Flare design, but don't delete it entirely -- I do not expect to need it again, and so it probably won't need to be updated, but I'd rather not completely scrap it.

Construction
Upgrade laboratory security. ($5000) DOne: Cameras and suchlike have been installed in the entire facility
Invest in the aerospace department of a nearby university ($5000) Done:
Missions:
None.

Other:
Try to get a contract with the Chinese government for solar satellites, including the one currently in orbit. The Chinese governement would like to pay you up to 500/sattelite/Year for up to four sattelites. The funds will be paid for each year and they will not pay for any required repairs

Try to get a contract with the Scottish government for the usage rights to a single solar satellite in orbit. (CHASE will still own it, and have the rights to reclaim it once it dies if the Scottish are unwilling to pay for CHASE to repair it.) The Scotts are confident in the abilities of their own space agency
Train fees for university personnel traveling to or from CHASE. Prioritize science. ($1500)  There's a fairly talented person amongst the group who just graduated and would like to work for you. He had a general science education but would like to specialize further( Gained:  1 nondescript scientist: ( that were some good rolls))
Press conference: Announce that a Chinese space station will be in orbit in ten years. ($2000)
+2 Prestige

Total expenses: $15500

STARS Yearly report

Research
-Dr Faust will take the small thruster design and use it to make a bigger version. As bigger is always better, right?
-More Thermobarics!! Work here continues.

Design
none

Construction
Bigger Rocket factory (more meters per year)
1 El Perajo Cantor II

Missions
Launch an 'El Parajo Cantor II' with 4 Mano de Ayudo's to stabilised MEO. The launch is succesfull but all four boosters are unrecoverable.

Expenditure
7750 (1k medium thruster, 1k Thermobaric, 5k rocket Factory, 750 rocket)

DWARF Yearly report.

Research:
Life Support Module:  Increase the survival chance. WOrk here progresses.

Space Shuttle:  Let's look into reusable launch vehicles. A bug caused a computer crash, which resulted in the loss of all info and some damage to the systems( Repair: 4000). All scientist have now been provided with flysweepers.

Large Thruster:  They almost blew up the lab. ALMOST

Designs:
None today

Building:
Build a security station for the complex (5k). DONE

Other:
Build a Spear Mk III, put the life support module (with escape rocket) on it, put someone in there, and launch it!  Go to MEO if possible (I think the thrust is sufficient.)
You managed to find one Airforce testpilot who wanted to go, but only once. The Rocket performed exeptionally well, and the lifesupport module even better. The whole operation was a giant media succes Having the capsule accidentilly land in the middle of London didn't help either.

+8 Prestige 

Priority list for astronauts:
Air Force/other military pilot
Other NATO country pilots
Professional commercial pilots
Volunteers from the research lab
Other volunteers
Stunt pilots from anywhere (paid if needed)
Myself.

Expenses:  12.1k (4k research + 2100 rocket + 5k building+ 1000 lifesupport

Kingfisher: ASC monthly report

ASC:
Research: Light hulls! The welder your scientist were using blew up, destroying the entire lab. ( 5000 to rebuild) ( Also, a 1)

Designs: nothing!

Other: Press conference. Counter accuse THEM of espionage, and claim that they attempted to steal my Hull research. You pressconference was bad( and used by the germans as such) and to make it all worse some intern found a lot of papers and made them publice. International agencies have started their investigations .( Bad roll)

Also your monkey in space deadline goes past but nobody really notices.

All done.

C.a.s.p.

Canada
Research: German scientist work on making thrusters more powerful. Work here goes fast.
I see if I can make a contact-detonation explosive. No you can't. Almost blew your hand of .

Other: Send anything we learn in this year to the Austrians, for them to use, EXCEPT the gains from the American Trade. (sorry Kingfisher)
Trade techs with the Americans (i give them higher capacity fuel tanks, for their more efficient fuel)
All done.

Promises:( All due by the end of the stated year)
Toaster: Dog in space by 1952 Done
           : Man in space by 1955 Done
Kashyk: Radio signal from space by 1952 Done
           : Comm satt in MEO by 1956
Ruler of nothing: Comm satelite in LEO orbit by 1952 DONE
                       : Research satt in orbit by  1956 DONE
Nirur Torin: Radio transmitting object in space by 1953 DONE
                 : Functioning long term sattelite by 1954 DONE
                 : Space Station by 1965
Kingfisher: Human like ape in space by 1955 FAILED

Players:
Player name: Xin Su
Archetype: Lobbyist Political Commissar
Funds: 10700 (+15250)
Prestige:26
Organisation Name: Chinese Assembly for Space Exploration (CHASE)
      -Motto: Ensuring China's dominance of the Solar System.
      -Nation: People's Republic of China

Spoiler: Researched Components (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Assets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Rockets (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Sattelites (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)

Player Name:  Urist McLowe
Archetype: Engineer
Funds:15900 (+16000)
Prestige:26
Organisation Name: DeWard Aeronautical Research Foundation [DWARF]
      Motto: Strike the moon!
      Nation: Scotland

- Security station
Spoiler: Special people (click to show/hide)

Player name: Friedrich von Hohenzollern
Archetype: Astronaut
Funds: 50(+3500)
Prestige: 5
Organisation Name: W.A.T. (West-German Aeronautical Technologies)
      -Motto: Inveniam viam aut faciam ( either i'll find a way, or I'll make one)
      -Nation: Western Germany

Spoiler:  Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler:  Assets and personnel (click to show/hide)

Player name: Alexis Solsona
Funds: 8275 (+6000)
Prestige: 10
Organisation Name: Science, Technology And Research in Space (STARS)
      -Motto:  Vamos a infinito y más allá!
      -Nation: Spain

Spoiler: -Designs (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Assets (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: -Personnel (click to show/hide)

[/quote]
Player Name: Dr James Smith
Archetype: Scientist
Funds: 7300(+6000)
Prestige:10
Organisation Name: American Space Technology and Research Organisation (ASTRO)
Motto: Exploring space for the greater good of mankind.
Nation: USA

Spoiler: Special People (click to show/hide)

Player name: Teldon Y'rell
Archetype: Businessman
Funds: 20.000(2.200°
Organisation Name: Astronomical Wealth by Orbital Lucritiveness(AWOL)
Motto: 'Making space profitable for everyone'
Nation: Israel

Researched components
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Designs
Assets
Special people

Player name: Franz Herdinand
Funds: 3000(+4000)
Prestige: 6
Organisation Name: ASC Austrian Space Center
      -Motto: 'Screw the rest'
      -Nation: Austria
          - Small explosive: 300kg 1 attack [0.35]

-Designs
       -Assets
             -Small 2 Stories labs(+5)
             -Small launchpad
             -Small Mission Control
             -Efficient manufacturing and design factory( Rockets are 10% cheaper)   
-Special people
       -Special thingy:
             Efficient Manufacturing Facility

-Designs
             -None at the moment
       -Assets
             - Small labs
             -Small launchpad
             -Small Mission Control
              -Small manufacturing and design factory     
-Special people
             -None yet
       -Special thingy:
             A German Scientist(+25 research)[/spoiler]
[/quote]
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 11:59:45 am by 10ebbor10 »

Ghazkull

• Bay Watcher
  • Can Improve, will give back better...
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 10: 1955-1956
« Reply #362 on: March 07, 2012, 12:09:19 pm »

The German Officer in front of him was one of those horrible German Beauraucrats. The kind usually only found in German Tax Offices.

" Well My Dear Hauptmann, i have no idea how the Rebels got their hands on our rockets. Propably stole them from the Spanish Government. And for building these rockets, well they are part of our finance programme, we sell them off to responsible Governments in need of such devices, namely the Spanish one. Besides these rockets are a necessary evil if we want to send somebody to the stars. As you can see they have already done good things: we have progressed far ont he nuclear range and may soon be able to replace Coal power by far cheaper and safer Nuclear Power. And now could we leave that matter? I think you should rather deal with Austrian Spies then how we do our business."

Research

Lab 1: Repair EEET! and then continue on the damn powerplants

Lab 2: Kerosene!!

Other:

Do another Press Conference Blaming the Nuclear Accident at our labs on the Austrians. Try to incite war. ((yes i should try and reach for the stars but...if a war breaks out i might be able tog et some military funds :D)

i'll take the scientific perk
« Last Edit: March 07, 2012, 01:11:03 pm by Ghazkull »

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #363 on: March 07, 2012, 01:05:01 pm »

You can repair and research in the same turn.

Also, look at the news section( Global news)

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #364 on: March 07, 2012, 04:40:06 pm »

I have crafted some spreadsheets. They'll take research and designs, then tell you how much payload you can carry to wherever you want it. There might be a few bugs, but I have faith that, after a few hours of tinkering, I at least have the bugs ironed out of the two-stage rocket designs.

Just fill in the green squares. The grey squares can be copy-pasted to the forums, resulting in this:

Get them here.
If there are any compatibility errors, they were made in whatever version of Libre Office is on the front page.

I was originally going to have them calculate three stage rockets.

Kashyyk

• Bay Watcher
  • One letter short of a wookie
    • View Profile
« Reply #365 on: March 07, 2012, 05:06:40 pm »

Hah. Bigger doesn't necessarily mean better. These thrusters are appalling in comparison to the ones we already have. Eckbert agrees, and was quite happy to spend his time refining the design. Hopefully,the Thermobarics will be done soon.

Research
-Dr Faust makes the large thrusters more stable
-Thermobarics!!! rawr.

Construction
Build three 'Mano de Ayudo'
Refit the 'El Parajo Cantor II' with a comm satellite

Missions
Launch the 'Parajo Cantor II', with 4 'Mano de Ayudo' and a comm satellite, to stabilised MEO

Other
Alexis shall branch out into PR.

Expenditure
2,860 (1K thrusters, 1k thermobarics, 750 boosters, 110 Comm sat)

RulerOfNothing

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #366 on: March 07, 2012, 07:18:16 pm »

Well, that press conference could have gone better. Fortunately it seems that with the technologies we now posesss, we can send a probe to the Moon.

Research:
Dr Smith will continue improving the survivability of the life support module (free)
Lab 1 will reduce the weight of the 2 stage hull with the help of Konrad Becker (-$1000)
Lab 2 will extend the operating time of the life support module (-$1000)
Research cost:-$2000

Design:
None this year.

Production:
None this year.

Construction:
Upgrade the labs (+5 bonus) (-$5000)
Construction cost:$5000

Other:
Dr Smith will start developing his managerial talents. Also he will announce that ASTRO will launch a living being into space for at least 24 hours in the next 4 years. Also also he will suggest that the US government start monitoring the proliferation of rocket technologies.

Total cost:$2000+$5000=$7000.
« Last Edit: March 11, 2012, 12:46:11 pm by RulerOfNothing »

Toaster

• Bay Watcher
  • Appliance
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Forum game(8/8 Players) Full. Turn 9: 1954-1955
« Reply #367 on: March 07, 2012, 09:37:41 pm »

The celebrations lasted for days.  They had done it- they had put a man in space.

Urist smiled as he settled back down to work.  What next?  Well, others had put up satellites, but Urist liked the idea of humans in space- that seemed to be his specialty, so why not focus on it.  He had a spare rocket- why not make a return trip for someone?

He needed a better way to get people up, and the shuttle design should prove valuable.  Too bad all data was lost in the crash...

Urist reminded himself to yell at the tech guys, then got back to work.

Research:
Life Support Module:  Increase the survival chance.

Space Shuttle:  Continue to look into reusable launch vehicles.

Large Thruster:  Keep getting that explosion risk down!

Designs:
None today

Building:
Build an astronaut training facility.

Other:
See if any other pilots want to launch into space.  If so, launch them in the other Spear Mk III into MEO.

"Charismatic" perk discussed in PM.  [Higher chance to attract special people.]

Expenses:  9k  (4k research + 5k building)
« Last Edit: March 08, 2012, 08:36:49 am by Toaster »
HMR stands for Hazardous Materials Requisition, not Horrible Massive Ruination, though I can understand how one could get confused.
God help us if we have to agree on pizza toppings at some point. There will be no survivors.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: CHASE
« Reply #368 on: March 07, 2012, 10:21:19 pm »

CHASE

(My space station will be modular. I think the hub module will provide basic computer control, backup life-support, and enough solar power to function.)

Xin Su had found an excellent candidate for his replacement. He still had two years of school left, but was enthusiastic, smart, and would be able to convince the world of the superiority of CHASE's achievements.

The staff of CHASE had voiced several concerns over his decision to donate equipment to a university that exceeded their own. He signed the authorization for the computers they wanted. It wouldn't do do have his project crash back into the Earth from a simple mathematical error, and the computers would help there. Along similar lines, he would focus on training the best possible crew for CHASE vehicles and extra-terrestrial assets.

Research:
Lab 1st floor: 'Cai Cheng' Docking System Mk I (I want a circular airlock [and docking seals] that can be attached to any docking system designed with its compatibility in mind.)
Lab 2nd floor: Space Stations, theoretical. (If that's not possible, upgrade the escape rocket's success chances.)
Lab 3rd floor: Life support, theoretical. (I'll follow the supply-based branch first.)

Design & Production
Nothing.

Construction
Taikonaut training facility ($5000)
Upgrade the laboratory with a "highly advanced" supercomputer ($5000)

Missions:
None.

Other:
Take a perk in taikonaut training.
Aerospace department investment (year 1 of 5) ($1000)
Yi Hsing (scientist) will spend the year taking specialization training for extra-terrestrial structures (Orbital stations and Lunar colonies), or if that's not a valid choice, safety and redundancy. ($1000)

Total expenses: $15,000

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #369 on: March 09, 2012, 11:48:41 am »

I was originally going to have them calculate three stage rockets.
Three stage rocket calculation =

T1*( W1+W2+W3+P)+ T2*(W2+W3+P)+ T3(W3+P) -1

W= Weight
T= Thrust
P=Payload

Also please note that the Traits aren't equal to their corresponding perks.
Also, waiting for some other people.

Edit1 : added waiting thingy
Edit2: Yeehz that was fast.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:02:49 pm by 10ebbor10 »

ansontan2000

• Bay Watcher
  • I am a Poro. Fear me.
    • View Profile
Re: The Space Race: Canada
« Reply #370 on: March 09, 2012, 11:59:53 am »

Player name: Anderson Spaceman
C.A.S.P
Canada
Research: German scientist work on making thrusters more powerful
I research if timed explosives can be set up on a rocket.

Other: Send anything we learn in this year to the Austrians, for them to use, EXCEPT the gains from the American Trade. (sorry Kingfisher)
Trade techs with the Americans (i give them higher capacity fuel tanks, for their more efficient fuel)
Take perk for ‼SCIENCE‼
« Last Edit: March 10, 2012, 10:25:28 am by ansontan2000 »
When a soldier makes a mistake, one man dies.
When a captain makes a mistake, a dozen men die.
When a commander makes a mistake, a thousand men die.
When an emperor makes a mistake, well, there is a game save for retry.

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #371 on: March 09, 2012, 12:17:52 pm »

W= Weight
T= Thrust
P=Payload
Thrust is divided by weight, not multiplied. Division's not as nice to work with for getting P alone.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #372 on: March 09, 2012, 12:33:51 pm »

W= Weight
T= Thrust
P=Payload
Thrust is divided by weight, not multiplied. Division's not as nice to work with for getting P alone.
Oops, Typo. Can't you just enter it the way it is( Probably not , considering it's an Excel look-a like)? The program I'm using works like that.

Also, a question is your docking system an airlock at the same time?( Ie 1 systems consists of 2 doors) If so It's going to weight a lot and take up much space( Atleast 2 meters). Note that you design a system with a single door and then couple two together( With a room inbetween) to get an airlock

Also Ansontan that's exactly the same post as the previous time . Is it meant to be that way?
« Last Edit: March 09, 2012, 12:52:12 pm by 10ebbor10 »

Nirur Torir

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #373 on: March 09, 2012, 01:12:30 pm »

Oops, Typo. Can't you just enter it the way it is( Probably not , considering it's an Excel look-a like)? The program I'm using works like that.
I need to get it in the form of X = formula. If your program can covert the formula into X = and give it in copy-pastable plaintext, I could easily put that into the spreadsheet. If you do, multiply everything in the initial formula by 5 so I can see where to change numbers for different distances.

Also, a question is your docking system an airlock at the same time?( Ie 1 systems consists of 2 doors) If so It's going to weight a lot and take up much space( Atleast 2 meters). Note that you design a system with a single door and then couple two together( With a room inbetween) to get an airlock
I'll just stick with a single door and have them form an airlock when both craft are docked, and use some sort of large cargo doors for deploying cargo.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #374 on: March 09, 2012, 01:15:25 pm »

I need to get it in the form of X = formula. If your program can covert the formula into X = and give it in copy-pastable plaintext, I could easily put that into the spreadsheet. If you do, multiply everything in the initial formula by 5 so I can see where to change numbers for different distances.

I'll just stick with a single door and have them form an airlock when both craft are docked, and use some sort of large cargo doors for deploying cargo.
Unfortunately not.

As for the airlock, seems like it'll work. PLease note that you'll need this docking system for every part of your space station( How are you going to connect the modular parts otherwise?)
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 [25] 26 27 ... 67