Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]

Author Topic: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]  (Read 7529 times)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
Re: You are rebuilding Civilization [Suggestion game]
« Reply #60 on: May 21, 2013, 03:43:10 pm »

Scandinavia: 2104 AD: Early Spring (Week 4)

Spoiler: Actions (click to show/hide)

We're now more than halfway through the supplies we got from the bunker, so we need to start producing food soon. If we don't, we'll starve.
Our farmers have worked day and night, but the result is clear. All around the hot springs plexiglass greenhouses have arisen, build of fragments of the large dome that once stood there. I've made an appointment this evening to talk to our Head farmer of what seeds we got, and which we can plant. (((For reference, you got 6 seed types you can freely define))).

In the meantime, our hunters have managed to find a herd of Caribou, which probably haven't ever seen a human. They managed to get near and shot one of the weaker specimen. It was quite troubling brigging the cadavar back to camp, but they eventually managed it, with help of the nearby water carrying team. By the time they got in, it had started snowing again. They were soon joined by the fence reconstruction teams, who have made a decent progress in repairing the fence.

The rest of the time was spend inside, either by setting up a primitive hospital ward, or by searching through the labs. While the first task went well, the latter task was a tremendous succes. Not only did we manage to find a decent store of resources we also managed to find the labratories primary power generator, and in a remarkably good state even. The generators require some maintenance, and the cabling needs to be redone at some points, but well, most things are fine. There's only 1 single problem. It's a pocket nuclear generator, it's coollant reserves have run dry, and you're pretty sure the core's depleted.

Considering this news, there has been talk about sending an expedition to the nearby train station, which is only half a day away. But before you can depart to other places, it might be best to give your own town a name.

Spoiler: People (click to show/hide)
Spoiler: Resources (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: The base (click to show/hide)

Spoiler: Surroundings (click to show/hide)

Quote from: Combat
Human: 2 Attack  2 Defense 3 agility                          5 hp
Soldier: 4 attack   3 defense 3 agility  +1 tactics roll     5 hp

Large Feline:   5 attack 4 defense 5 agility  8 hp

Spoiler: Note (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: May 22, 2013, 12:05:58 am by 10ebbor10 »

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: May 21, 2013, 04:55:44 pm »

Why did nobody tell me how much I messed up the turn post?
You did it again...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: May 21, 2013, 07:18:40 pm »

i assume the Caribou we shot was the food for the week?

hmm, I've no idea for a name for this town .. perhaps later when i'm more awake.

We should search for the labs water supply -- i expect there's a water purifier linked into the springs, and a tank of pure water somewhere.

Question to everyone:
Should we go to town by foot, or try to repair the apc while it is snowing?
if we should repair the APC. Priorities are a) engine efficiency, b)speed, c) protection from weather.
for now the gun turret can be setup as somewhere a rifle can be mounted as we don't have anything to put in it.

Seeds:

a) lots of food (don't care if it's a bit bland, we don't want to starve) (broccoli is naturally cold tolerant, so a rapid growth GM variant would supply the nutrients we need?)
b) interesting food - some type of fruit. (what were our plans for growing food when we exited the bunker anyway)
c) sugar beets - something that can be fermented to alcohol/ethanol/biodiesel (anything with high starch or sugar content)
d) some type of construction resource (wood/bamboo/....)
e) something that can be rendered down to paper (and cellulose is a generally useful material)
all the seeds would be somewhat cold-adapted,
f) something with fibers, for cloth, rope, ... flax can cover a few of these - food, fiber, oil.
so yes, i did just propose we live on broccoli, potatoes, and flax seeds. Them's the breaks when you're planning to recover from an apocalypse. It is slightly more likely that we have a GM engineered cereal variety of some type (all 3 of those plants are frost tolerant, so with a bit of engineering, they'll be suitable crops for this area).

those were my thoughts from earlier ... Mega-broccoli, sugar beets, flax, and some type of structural resource
-- a cold tolerant bamboo, or a fast growing Alder variant (there are several species of alder prized for their timber, for use in furniture and the like, and others are quite cold tolerant)
-- the Siberian Larch grows well, is very rot resistant (often used for railway sleepers) ? (i basically looked at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_Siberian_taiga and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Category:Trees_of_Russia to find some ones with useful properties)

Some scientists turn on the satellite uplink, after checking through the records in the mainframe to see if there is any instructions/old images/ indication of what type of satellite we were linked to.

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: May 22, 2013, 12:06:11 am »

edit: food situation updated

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: May 22, 2013, 04:38:41 pm »

Something like bamboo or fast-growing trees, but living in cold environments, would be nice.
We should probably have something like cotton or flax, for clothes.
At least two of wheat, maize, soy, ric or other such grains is a must. Modified, if needed, to grow well in this climate.
Fruit trees might be nice. Maybe olive trees; olive oil should be useful. Modified, of course, for Siberian climates. Maybe a fast-growing olive tree.
I don't care much about the other crops we have, as long as we have practical uses for them.

As for the town's name, what was the name of the facility?
Let's walk; we have a very limited supply of fuel, which we should save for when it's really needed.
If we have spare labor and supplies, some kind of building aboveground would be a good idea. Maybe a housing compound or a public building.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: May 22, 2013, 08:29:35 pm »

I assume the grains are for easily growing energy content?

([size=78%]http://www.motherearthnews.com/organic-gardening/winter-grains-zm0z11zkon.aspx#axzz2U4hmxtgO[/size]) for a list of stuff we might have, or what the stuff we have is based on, on the grain side of things.

I suggested beets and broccoli because they are nutritious, hardy, and amongst the most cold tolerant veggies.

flax has the added bonus of being able to make paper, and have seeds for oil/eating.
Hell if I know.  Pretty humourous suggestion, but utterly useless in the case of roleplaying, if indeed the whole game world was one whole huge ass field of fruit.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: May 23, 2013, 03:17:27 pm »

As for the town's name, what was the name of the facility?
((I dunno, am very bad with names)).

On another note:
-Small: Vegetables
-Medium: Grain, bushes, other plants
-Large: Trees, very large plants.

Nothing stopping you from planting one thing in the other, but it might not work very well.

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: May 23, 2013, 11:54:16 pm »

(5?)farmers+(10) builders should work on constructing a food processing/prep area - 1/2 kitchen, 1/2 butcher, big enough to prepare several weeks of food in 1 hit. Farmers included as they would know what they need.

(10) Soliders, US, and 5 people should go and check out the train station (10 spears, 5 guns with us). WE are looking to try to understand what has happened, both in the past, and what the situation around us currently is.

(25) Engineers work to finish the fence, then the gate, then the tower by the gate.

10 scientists repair the satellite uplink, then a) test it's capabilities, and see how it links to the mainframe? (is it communications? weather monitoring? Exotic energy uplink? Telescope  Solar power down-link? Is there even any satellites still out there. Do we control it/them. What condition is whatever we link to in? Can our connection be used to detect where we are? If confronted with a password, check to see if there the mainframe has an alternate connection protocol and some software which will control the link for us.)

5 farmers butcher the caribou, and aim to have a hot meal ready for when the expedition to the train station get back. [how much food per caribou?])

(70 people total listed above + us)

5 scientists help with the caribou if needed, not sure how many people it will take. If they do, they note any differences between regular caribou and this specimen. Meat, leather, bones produced?

the rest of the farmers plant vegetables[ 2 plots, 2 different type, drawn from consensus about seeds] at the greehouses, and plant [either flax or bamboo] at the larger plot.

The remaining scientists help with the planting. If that is done they try to improve the quality of the greenhouses; priorities a) surviving inclement weather, b) providing a most regulated growing environment (note: not aiming at production increases, but best quality for what we do have; high quality greenhouses have +1 or +2 on rolls for effects; less likely to get taken out with a freak wind gust.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: May 26, 2013, 03:53:57 pm »

Just as a note, this is not death yet. Just thinking about doing away with the entire population assignment system and taking a more lax attempt at stuff, like in wayward's device postapocalyptic thingy.
« Last Edit: May 26, 2013, 03:59:22 pm by 10ebbor10 »

andy_t_roo

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: May 26, 2013, 04:33:54 pm »

Yeah, i can see how it could get a bit complicated ; thats why i asked at the beginning if you would prefer numbers, or intentions.

"fix the fence, visit the train station, checkout the satellite uplink, and keep working on the food situation (both the caribou, and vegies in the farming lots)" would be a slightly shorter summary of todays actions :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: May 27, 2013, 01:04:06 pm »

Just came to the conclusion I've written myself into a bit of a corner. We're basically in an abandonned regio, nothing interesting nearby, and well, several other things about the setting annoy me.
Might continue, with some minor retcons, though maybe it's better to just close this one down and restart with a different setting and game.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]