Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 565

Author Topic: Starbound - We have lift off.  (Read 945140 times)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
Re: Starbound - We have lift off.
« Reply #3915 on: December 05, 2013, 11:52:26 pm »

TIL: Cave-ins are freaking insane.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

timferius

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3916 on: December 05, 2013, 11:55:28 pm »

Ohhh, I see, okay. Didn't know iron was racial, that makes sense!
As yet racial bonuses don't seem to actually be in effect.
Hylotl armor seems to protect from cold.
So they're in partially

nah, apex is the same, half the armour of silver but more heat.

Gunner-Chan

• Bay Watcher
  • << IT'S TIME >>
    • View Profile
« Reply #3917 on: December 05, 2013, 11:57:41 pm »

I can confirm that currently glitch armor is the same. More heat, 5 armor. They've mentioned before that racial armor is currently somewhat cosmetic and the differences are incoming.
Diamonds are combustable, because they are made of Carbon.

Knight of Fools

• Bay Watcher
  • From Start to Beginning
    • View Profile
    • Knight of Fools
« Reply #3918 on: December 06, 2013, 12:00:25 am »

Hrm, it appears that I'm out of luck on the multiplayer front right now. Worked just fine yesterday, but I've been having some pretty bad connectivity issues today, to the point where it seems to be affecting other games, but I can't really tell.

It's like my Internet kinda goes down for a little bit, not long enough to affect general browsing but enough to completely screw over Starbound. I can't even tell if it's a problem unique to Starbound. Planetside 2 ran just fine for a while, and Payday 2 just had a blip where the server I was running disconnected everyone.

I just updated to Windows 8.1, but there's been no reports of network problems. After updating every single driver I could think of and troubleshooting out the bunghole, the only option left is that the weather's been affecting my Internet connection.

Does anyone know if there's a way to check your Internet's consistency? All that I can find is stuff that tests your latency, which doesn't tell me if my Internet's running into a blip unless I'm in the middle of a blip.
Proud Member of the Zombie Horse Executioner Squad. "This Horse ain't quite dead yet."

I don't have a British accent, but I still did a YouTube.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3919 on: December 06, 2013, 12:02:16 am »

Anyone else notice this poster?

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:15:07 am by BlackFlyme »

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3920 on: December 06, 2013, 12:06:47 am »

Ohhh, I see, okay. Didn't know iron was racial, that makes sense!
As yet racial bonuses don't seem to actually be in effect.
Hylotl armor seems to protect from cold.
So they're in partially
Human armor does as well. I think all of them have better cold-protection.

It looks like the Tier 3 sticking point is going to be platinum; a quick foray into a level 22 planet gained 162 titanium and about 2 dozen piece of uranium. I've heard rumors that you can find single tiles of platinum, and I maybe recall having found one myself, but the only reliable way to get it is chests, at least for now.

wait, why should I even make iron armor if you need copper armor to make silver armor? Now I have to make another set of copper armor.
Copper is pretty easy to obtain, and the iron racial armor helps while you try to find enough silver.

@fivex: You sure about no non-fresh characters? Because I'd really like to play with everyone, but I don't want to just ignore you or anything. The game's far too fresh for me to want to repeat that early grind.  :-\
At this point you can bring in new characters as long as they aren't too well developed
Eh, the nice thing about Starbound as opposed to Terraria is that the tiers have their own areas, so you aren't going to have a bunch of differently-geared out people in the same spot unless they're just hanging out.

One thing I really want: Waypoint markers for party members in multiplayer, and a tag with their current planet name somewhere around their portrait.

Anyone else notice this poster in an Apex base?

« Last Edit: December 06, 2013, 12:08:37 am by Flying Dice »

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3921 on: December 06, 2013, 12:08:23 am »

Ok, the numbers game!
It seems that all monsters of a certain type will always have the same amount of HP. So for example all fish have exactly 20 hp, while all creatures that stand upright have 100 hp. This is regardless of the planets threat level, a level 1 monster has the same HP as a level 100 monster. The difference is their armor rating.
Armor rating works in a ratio against your armor piecing rating, then multiplies your damage. So if you hit for 20 damage, and had 5 armor piercing, but the creature you were attacking had 10 armor rating, it would work out as 5/10 (Piercing over armor) * 20 (Your damage) and you would only hit for 10! In the same way if you were attacking something with only 1 armor it would be 5/1 * 20 and you would hit for 100 damage! This is why the difference between the first weapon you get and the tier 1 iron weapons is so huge.

This also means that to figure out your base damage is simple. Just multiply your damage with your piercing! Then to estimate how much you will hit for you guess that a creatures armor rating is equal to its level, and divide your base damage with its level. You can now see why lowering the saucers level by just one is actually a significant change.

This also works in reverse. You might have noticed that several different creatures will have the same attack. Body Slam is popular, but others exist. Each attack has a set damage, regardless of level, that is then multiplied by the creatures armor piecing rating, and finally divided by your defense.

The last small thing to note is that your defense is the average of your hat, chest and legs, not the total. Effectively this means that the armor rating of each piece is a third of what they tell you it is.

BlackFlyme

• Bay Watcher
  • BlackFlyme cancels Work: Interrupted by bird.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3922 on: December 06, 2013, 12:14:54 am »

Oh. Did not notice the other sign on the wall.

My bad.

Elfeater

• Bay Watcher
  • Max Yeskly the dwarf
    • View Profile
« Reply #3923 on: December 06, 2013, 12:16:04 am »

Would I be able to hop on someones server for help fighting the boss? And gathering materials to do so again, I havent tried since last time however, before the patch.
I for one support our child snatching overlords.
there is a difference between droping red numbers representing magma on Es representing elves, and finding it hot when a girl moans like a retarded seal

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3924 on: December 06, 2013, 12:17:24 am »

My bad.

To be fair, if you inspect it, it questions why there would be a picture of Big Ape in a human base.  Intrigue!
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

buckets

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3925 on: December 06, 2013, 12:23:58 am »

Actualy, does anyone have tips for messing around with the tier two boss? I'm in steel armour and getting stomped on in about two hits.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3926 on: December 06, 2013, 12:25:12 am »

Guys... Guys. Guys guys guys guys. You can 3d print seeds. I didn't think you could because normally there is a cost to scanning, but you can scan seeds for free. Also you can then print them for only 1 pixel each. No more praying that you will get seeds, you can print as many as you need.

xczxc

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3927 on: December 06, 2013, 12:26:12 am »

Guys... Guys. Guys guys guys guys. You can 3d print seeds. I didn't think you could because normally there is a cost to scanning, but you can scan seeds for free. Also you can then print them for only 1 pixel each. No more praying that you will get seeds, you can print as many as you need.

Thank you!

freeformschooler

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3928 on: December 06, 2013, 12:36:04 am »

The last small thing to note is that your defense is the average of your hat, chest and legs, not the total. Effectively this means that the armor rating of each piece is a third of what they tell you it is.

THANK YOU for figuring that out. I was wondering why the first piece of armor never seemed to do anything. The average was getting dragged down by empty slots or lower-level gear.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3929 on: December 06, 2013, 12:51:35 am »

My bad.

To be fair, if you inspect it, it questions why there would be a picture of Big Ape in a human base.  Intrigue!

All of a sudden, it hits you. You blink as you realize... the Apex are peopleeeeee!

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable
Pages: 1 ... 260 261 [262] 263 264 ... 565