Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3

Author Topic: I have a dorf who can't use her legs or arms  (Read 5017 times)

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
I have a dorf who can't use her legs or arms
« on: January 28, 2012, 10:30:43 pm »

Okay, in my current fortress one of my spear dwarves, quite a promising one actually, sustained injuries to both legs and both arms, although the injuries weren't actually major it's functionally left her a paraplegic - she can't stand and she can't grasp. She has been spending half the game spamming "cancels store owned item: too injured", I tried to find all her items and destroy them, but apparently she still has some left (is there any way to find what items a dwarf owns?).

In any case, at the moment she is the captain of the guard, I get this image of a dwarf with malformed limbs crawling along on her knees and elbows in hot pursuit of criminals (think about it; it would get REALLY creepy after a while), sadly it doesn't work, she seems to know she's incapable of performing the job and wont even try. She could probably be a broker - but I like my current one.

I suspect that ultimately I'll need to kill her. My current plan for this would be a biting contest with a cave crocodile, unless someone has a more depraved fate for her.

Urist Imiknorris

• Bay Watcher
  • In the flesh, on the phone and in your account...
    • View Profile
Re: I have a dorf who can't use her legs or arms
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2012, 10:40:57 pm »

What are her preferences? You might want to make her nobility.
Quote from: LordSlowpoke
I don't know how it works. It does.
Quote from: Jim Groovester
YOU CANT NOT HAVE SUSPECTS IN A GAME OF MAFIA

ITS THE WHOLE POINT OF THE GAME
Quote from: Cheeetar
If Tiruin redirected the lynch, then this means that, and... the Illuminati! Of course!

Pokon

• Bay Watcher
  • [ETHICS:HAHAHAHA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2012, 10:53:08 pm »

"Everyone, meet your new combat instructer."
A vile force of dark'ness has arrived, led by their champion Ebony Dark'ness Dementia Raven Way.

Mitchewawa

• Bay Watcher
  • My pick is the pick that will pierce the heavens!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2012, 11:09:55 pm »

A quadriplegic dwarf is just another term for 'The Most Aerodynamic Dwarf'.
Mitch cancels sleep: Interrupted by Clowns

Dr.Propz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2012, 11:10:30 pm »

Conduct various lethal tests on her. Maybe hone your fat melting technique?

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2012, 11:20:38 pm »

She can still bite someone's bollocks off.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2012, 11:50:23 pm »

She can still bite someone's bollocks off.

Can you imagine a dwarf rolling down a hall biting people?

Now that I think of it, I can. I love this place.
*insert witty signature here*

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2012, 11:54:16 pm »

One of my current speardwarves (Legendary+ I might add) has lost an arm, a leg, two teeth and his phallus. But he's now a legendary crutch walker and the best fighter in my fortress.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2012, 11:59:53 pm »

If you remove them from the military and turn off all their labours you can at least stop the job error spam - they will simply crawl back and forth between a bar of soap and a water source, the only thing left to do is clean themselves, but they just keep dropping the soap...

What i like to do is remove all equipment for the dwarf in question, you'll also have to turn off provisions, and ammo if relevant, for the entire squad they're in, and then order them to attack something alot stronger than they are, or move to somewhere rather dangerous. Of course you could put them into a squad of their own and keep them around for those times when you just want to see what Kind of noxious secretions that squirming, fidgeting skinless snail is excreting down there in the caverns...

the woods

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 29, 2012, 12:03:28 am »

Check her inventory for any casts. I had a swordsdwarf get both her arms broken and had to be taken off the squad, but when the casts came off she was able to grasp again and could pick up her equipment.

Urist McGyver

• Bay Watcher
  • I love Roc Birds.
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 29, 2012, 12:12:41 am »

I had an Axe Lord who had a "couldn't grasp quite well" thingy tag on his Heath descript (that was just after my tackling of the HFS). He had his forearm missing. I guess no amount of casts could fix those broken bones.
It's treated as completely normal because this is Dwarf Fortress.  There's absolutely nothing wrong with surrounding yourself with a wall of flames, only to later realize that you're surrounded by a wall of flames.
There's nothing that can't be solved by hurling fifteen roc birds at it.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 29, 2012, 01:04:01 am »

Generally if your dwarf gets to the point of spamming "Cancels whatever, too injured", it's because the medical staff couldn't do anything more for them, although sometimes they are covered in splints and casts and simply need time for their bones to set and heal, after which the use of their limbs will return. Usually though it means limbs have been entirely lost or motor nerves have been severed - as far as i'm aware there's no way to repair a severed motor nerve or regrow a limb.

NonconsensualSurgery

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 29, 2012, 01:48:20 am »

I had an Axe Lord who had a "couldn't grasp quite well" thingy tag on his Heath descript (that was just after my tackling of the HFS). He had his forearm missing. I guess no amount of casts could fix those broken bones.

"Ability to grasp impaired" means that they've lost the use of one hand. A one-handed dwarf is still perfectly capable of doing most tasks without problems except for equipping both weapons and shields, so it's best to retire them from the military before they lose the other one.

If a dwarf loses the use of both hands they'll say "ability to grasp lost." This is bad because they can't do anything but will still try, sending out infinite Urist cancels job: too injured messages. No power currently in the game or easily modded into it can fix nerve damage in a limb once it is done. Murdering the dwarf is the only way to make the messages stop.

Removing [HAS_NERVES] from the creature definition before you generate a world will create dwarves that can't get nerve damage. Spinal injuries will slowly heal if you add a healing rate to the nervous tissue template, but peripheral nerves aren't considered proper nervous tissue so the healing rate won't apply to them.
Never had a bat massacre people with an axe before.
EDIT2: Oh god, the bat has got a title now.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 29, 2012, 02:17:20 am »

A quadriplegic dwarf is actually remarkably useless. I considered the role of a military trainer, but there are a few issues. The most major one, in general, is that in order to teach a skill, a dwarf needs to actually have the relevant equipment. Being unable to equip a weapon, shield or armor(?) means she's unable to teach those skills, and along with dodging, those are the ones I actually want to be taught. She would also probably be unable to teach punching and kicking, although I'm not certain of that one. But unfortunately for her personally, she was a promising speardwarf when she got injured - but only promising, not actually good. She's only profecient-ish in the military skills with no teaching skill to speak of, while I have around 8 legendary dwarfs with high teacher skills. So hilarious as it would be to make recruits learn how to flop around on the floor and bite things, I will probably do some tests on her, such as testing whether she can put on armor, and perhaps what she'll try to teach others, then arrange the biting competition with the cave croc. She can then rest in pieces in her tomb, and I can have peace from her cancellation spam.

lordnincompoop

• Bay Watcher
  • Allusionist
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 29, 2012, 02:19:50 am »

The best way to use her?

Make her a hammerer so you won't get all those nasty killings.
Pages: [1] 2 3