Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3

Author Topic: I have a dorf who can't use her legs or arms  (Read 5007 times)

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
Re: I have a dorf who can't use her legs or arms
« Reply #15 on: January 29, 2012, 02:49:30 am »

In one of my older forts I had a captain of the guard who was little more than a torso. Justice involved beatings (pretty much Urist McCripple pushes the glassmaker, but the attack glances away! Urist McCripple bites the glass maker in the left foot and latches on firmly!)

In my mind's eye the captain of the guard would roll up to the accused and sort of hop and nip at the accused's ankles while screaming JUSSSSTTTTIIIICCCEEEE at the top of his lungs.

This comment got sigged once before. :P

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 29, 2012, 02:56:37 am »

I had an Axe Lord who had a "couldn't grasp quite well" thingy tag on his Heath descript (that was just after my tackling of the HFS). He had his forearm missing. I guess no amount of casts could fix those broken bones.

"Ability to grasp impaired" means that they've lost the use of one hand. A one-handed dwarf is still perfectly capable of doing most tasks without problems except for equipping both weapons and shields, so it's best to retire them from the military before they lose the other one.

If a dwarf loses the use of both hands they'll say "ability to grasp lost." This is bad because they can't do anything but will still try, sending out infinite Urist cancels job: too injured messages. No power currently in the game or easily modded into it can fix nerve damage in a limb once it is done. Murdering the dwarf is the only way to make the messages stop.

Removing [HAS_NERVES] from the creature definition before you generate a world will create dwarves that can't get nerve damage. Spinal injuries will slowly heal if you add a healing rate to the nervous tissue template, but peripheral nerves aren't considered proper nervous tissue so the healing rate won't apply to them.

My one armed speardwarf can wield a shield AND spear in one hand.
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

Nan

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 29, 2012, 05:18:43 am »

Yuppers, one-handed dwarves have no problem using both sword and shield - in one game my starting speardorf got a hand bitten off by a giant badger, but she went on to be legendary spear and shield user. I like to imagine that they strap the shield onto their damaged arm (like a prosthetic shield) - although I'm equally sure that's just my imagination and a one-armed dwarf could happily use both sword and shield... (though I suppose he could still technically strap it to his forearm and hold the weapon in his hand)

SRD

• Bay Watcher
  • Who the hell do you think I think you are?
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 29, 2012, 05:59:25 am »

I just image a huge buckler 
Quote from: LoneTophat
EDIT: HOW DO I STOP THE BLEEDING!
SUPEREDIT: Nevermind. Bled to death ._.

schismatise

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2012, 06:05:51 am »

What i wonder is if their use of the weapon and shield is impaired when they're both in the one hand. Considering you can make a dwarf use 7 shields... i'm guessing it might actually not be, but dwarf fortress is one of those games, i wouldn't be surprised if it is.

But there is always the drawback that any damage to that one "superarm" is going to remove both weapon AND shield from the dwarf, leaving them unable to block OR parry. Even better if they're also a cripple and that arm is holding a crutch as well as the weapon and shield ^^

Callista

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 30, 2012, 10:18:34 am »

You want DFhack... you can confiscate everything they own. It's one of the command-line options, I think. I do it all the time, very useful. Then mark all the dwarves' clothes for dumping, and the other dwarves will come take them to your dump. Just do that periodically, and dwarves owning clothing will be a thing of the past. Also, give her a bedroom without any storage options; that makes it less likely she tries to claim things. That gets rid of the cancellation spam. A masterwork bed makes it a nice enough bedroom to keep her mood high--which you will want to do, if she keeps the "sustained major injuries" negative thought permanently, as many of my permanently injured dwarves do.

As for what to do with her, I suggest turning off all her labors and making her the fort's broker. Make a burrow including the depot, food and booze stockpiles, and her room. That way she is always close to the depot when you need her. She doesn't need arms or legs to be a trader, and since she's close to the depot all the time, it doesn't matter that she doesn't move fast.

Other options for badly injured dwarves: Captain of the guard, baron/duke/etc. Try her as a craftsdwarf, if the supplies are close by, or burrow her next to your water-purification pump as a pump operator. You could just kill her off, but personally I don't like doing that. It seems wasteful.

I need to experiment with my arm/legless dwarves, see exactly what they can do and what they can't.
« Last Edit: January 30, 2012, 10:20:07 am by Callista »

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 30, 2012, 10:39:59 am »

Yuppers, one-handed dwarves have no problem using both sword and shield - in one game my starting speardorf got a hand bitten off by a giant badger, but she went on to be legendary spear and shield user. I like to imagine that they strap the shield onto their damaged arm (like a prosthetic shield) - although I'm equally sure that's just my imagination and a one-armed dwarf could happily use both sword and shield... (though I suppose he could still technically strap it to his forearm and hold the weapon in his hand)

I had an axedwarf like that.  He only had one arm, but he could end entire SIEGES of Goblins and Trolls on his own.  And I don't mean he broke the siege and sent them running.  I mean he outright slaughtered all of them without breaking a sweat.

The crippled dwarf doesn't make a good noble - they can't actually do anything without functional limbs.  I had a Legendary Hammerlord get paralyzed in combat.  His only injury was a loss of his ability to grasp.  He spent DECADES wandering the halls of the fort spamming error messages about not being able to do stuff.  So I sent him out solo against a goblin ambush.  Problem took care of itself.

Reudh

• Bay Watcher
  • Perge scelus mihi diem perficias.
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 30, 2012, 06:16:14 pm »

I had a humanoid FB made from vomit. A crippled militia captain was sent to deal with it. Unfortunately it was much faster and stronger than I thought it would be. It strangled him for 108 pages before he mercifully suffocated....

UltraValican

• Bay Watcher
  • The Man aiming to be a Man!
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 30, 2012, 06:19:06 pm »

Legendary Biter. GO!
Would you rather be an Ant in Heaven or a Man in Hell?

Duntada Man

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2012, 08:43:03 pm »

Actually I had a dwarf in a somewhat similar situation back inf 40d. He was made invalid by a sparring partner who then married him.

By the time I abandoned the fortress, they had a dozen babies. Several of which were legendary in something before growing up, and most of which had killed a goblin before I could assign them to the military. So, there's that use?
Girlinhat: The biggest issue seems to be size.  A 1x1 room would allow for maximum child desecration.

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 30, 2012, 10:04:05 pm »

Execute her.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #26 on: January 31, 2012, 02:30:14 pm »

Crioca

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 01, 2012, 12:13:36 am »

Execute her.

But... But why? D:

As an example to the others. This bourgeoisie dwarf clearly got paralysed on purpose so she could sponge off the backs off the working class!

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 01, 2012, 08:24:47 pm »

Use it as you shock trooper. Let it charge into the siege and bite the infidels. If it makes it to 500 kills give it a legendary tomb as the greatest biter your fort has ever known.

Scoops Novel

• Bay Watcher
  • Talismanic
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: December 19, 2012, 11:23:08 am »

Do dwarfs use the crutchwalker skill in combat, much like mining?
Reading a thinner book

Arcjolt (useful) Chilly The Endoplasm Jiggles

Hums with potential    a flying minotaur
Pages: 1 [2] 3