Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: [1] 2 3 4

Author Topic: How big is your catacomb?  (Read 3426 times)

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
How big is your catacomb?
« on: January 26, 2012, 10:04:54 pm »

I've been wondering what it says about a particular fortress if it has a massive catacomb with most of the coffins filled. Is it shameful to have (accidentally?) killed that many dwarfs? Is it a good thing to have a massive amount of dead dwarfs in little stone boxes, sort of a point of pride where burying all your dead required a mega project and an open weekend (its got a water fountain and a magma pond; look even all the statues match!) Most I've ever filled was about 35, most of those were from a massive elf ambush right when my population hit 50. It would be quite a thing to see if someone managed to take up an entire Z-lvl in a 4x4 zone into a huge burial area.

Kofthefens

• Bay Watcher
  • Keep calm and OH GOD CAPYBARAS
    • View Profile
    • Marshland Games
Re: How big is your catacomb?
« Reply #1 on: January 26, 2012, 10:08:00 pm »

I've been wondering what it says about a particular fortress if it has a massive catacomb with most of the coffins filled. Is it shameful to have (accidentally?) killed that many dwarfs? Is it a good thing to have a massive amount of dead dwarfs in little stone boxes, sort of a point of pride where burying all your dead required a mega project and an open weekend (its got a water fountain and a magma pond; look even all the statues match!) Most I've ever filled was about 35, most of those were from a massive elf ambush right when my population hit 50. It would be quite a thing to see if someone managed to take up an entire Z-lvl in a 4x4 zone into a huge burial area.

Most I've ever filled was about 35,

For me, it usually numbers in the hundreds, if not thousands.
I don't care about your indigestion-- How are you is a greeting, not a question.

The epic of Îton Sákrith
The Chronicles of HammerBlaze
My website - Free games

Agent_86

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 26, 2012, 10:14:36 pm »

By the time my fortresses die, I usually have most of a Z level carved out for catacombs.
When something isn't quite dorfy enough, just add magma.

acetech09

• Bay Watcher
  • Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2012, 10:15:15 pm »

I've only buried about 25 dwarves in my entire history of fortress running. 3/4 of them died in a siege, the other quarter for caveins/misc errors.
I challenge you to a game of 'Hide the Sausage', to the death.

Lord Dakoth

• Bay Watcher
  • That's a hammerin'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 26, 2012, 10:33:20 pm »

One of my forts lost 70 some dwarves to an ill-timed goblin siege, but I only had enough coffins and caskets to bury about half of them. I thought that I was going to make it through the crisis, but it turns out that being scared shitless by former comrades was enough to push most of the survivors over the edge.
Avatar by legendary engraver /u/Redicno of reddit.

CaptainBadwheel

• Bay Watcher
  • Either a Doomsday Device or an Ice Cream maker.
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 26, 2012, 11:08:03 pm »

Yeah I went back and counted, its not 35 it was 77. I was at war with the goblins and the elves from day one and I was constantly losing beekeepers and fisherdwarfs to Giant Badgers and Badger people. :P

Lord Dullard

• Bay Watcher
  • Indubitably.
    • View Profile
    • Cult: Awakening of the Old Ones
« Reply #6 on: January 26, 2012, 11:46:47 pm »

Yeah, in my current fortress I've had two FB attacks in a row that somehow managed to sneak past my defenses. They both started killing civilians without my noticing (I run the game in the background a lot because I often build megaprojects and leave the dwarves to their own work for long periods of time). Pretty unfortunate.

OTOH, I've still got ~190 dwarves left even after the carnage.

I really should toss a DFMA image of this fort up in case I don't finish it.

SixOfSpades

• Bay Watcher
  • likes flesh balls for their calming roundness
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 26, 2012, 11:47:36 pm »

I have a sad history of restarting (or savescumming) when somebody dies . . . so far, I've only made 1 coffin, for somebody's pet dog (who "suffocated" while standing around in his pasture. WTF?).

But fret not! My plans for my great walled city include both inner & outer curtains that are 3 blocks  thick, and at ground level they shall be honeycombed with 2-step deep niches. Walk along the inside of the wall, and pass a slab with every other step--behind each slab, the appropriate coffin. So that each military dwarf can be laid to rest and become part of the very foundation of the walls that they died helping to protect.

Besides, my Baroness wants a tomb, so today I designed a nice little 19x19 catacomb module, which can house 22 sarcophagi in a manner fit for nobles, officers, and Legendary dwarves. Any dwarf who wishes to be buried with a pet and/or family member can sacrifice a total of 2 statues & a slab to make room for them. I will be digging smaller, less sumptuous modules for my lower-tier civilians as well, of course.
Dwarf Fortress -- kind of like Minecraft, but for people who hate themselves.

wierd

• Bay Watcher
  • I like to eat small children.
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 26, 2012, 11:53:50 pm »

I'm shamefully alergic to that particular kind of "fun".  I make excessive use of traps to the point where I just ignore sieges after pulling the "activate automated goblin processing unit" lever.

(Basically retracts the merchant bridge, slams a double layer of floodgates shut, and forces the invaders to go through the goblin processing plant to attempt entry.)

To me, a properly engineered processing system negates all need for a military.

I use similar tactics when dealing with FBs and cave mamminals.

As a consequence, my dwarves die only from !!accidents!! And old age. A very modest cemetary plot is all they need usually.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2012, 11:57:23 pm »

I rarely lose many dwarves quickly, but I lose a bunch over a span of 11 in-game years. On my most recent fort, I must have at least 200 coffins in massive rooms of varying sizes dug around the caverns. Little things got them, ambushes, cavern beasts, general stupidity, stuff like that.

SirAaronIII

• Bay Watcher
  • Western Romanticist
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2012, 11:59:43 pm »

I have a large area, but only a few (10?) filled.
"I want to watch the sun setting below the horizon, thinking about my significance in this world. That's my dream."

612DwarfAvenue

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice actor.
    • View Profile
    • TESnexus profile, has my voice acting portfolio.
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2012, 12:01:49 am »

I honestly don't place coffins at all, except for when a Noble needs one (referring to their demands, not to my future plans for them :P). I just use slabs to keep the ghosts at bay, and leave it at that. Just because i send the Dwarves on suicidal missions, doesn't mean they're actually required to die, so it's their fault if they do and they aint gonna get rewarded for death :P.

Off-topic, you know how on the main forum page, there's the part on the right side of the page showing the latest thread to be posted in for each sub-forum? Well, since this thread was the latest to be posted in when i last checked, and long thread names get truncated, for a moment i thought it said "How big is your cat...", but then i realized it was "How big is your cata...". THE FELINE MENACE IS CONTROLLING MY MIND, I MUST CLEANSE IT WITH MAGMA.
My voice acting portfolio.
Centration. Similar to Spacestation 13, but in 3D and first-person. Sounds damn awesome.
NanoTrasen Exploratory Team: SS13 in DF.

Silent_Thunder

• Bay Watcher
  • World Heavyweight Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2012, 12:32:09 am »

I actually give all my dwarfs a proper burial into the magma sea, and instead they all have slabs in a "Hall of Honor" which tends to be a massivly long entrance hallway, usually filled with traps and tamed beasts. I know slabs are much more hassal, but I think its a fitting tribute. Except Cheesemakers, they get slammed into a pine box and stowed in the back storeroom.

Minnakht

• Bay Watcher
  • Green Eyed Monster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2012, 12:55:23 am »

I have a long hall, carved close to magma - in the layer of gabbro or whatever dark stone is there. That long hall's long walls are, like, toothy - every second space has a protruding pillar. Or maybe every second space has a little indent in it?
Either way, those indents are where coffins go as needed. Six so far, not sure if all of them are filled.
Giant badgers are cruel saddistic balls of fur and hate. Did anyone know they could paint a wall with a single dwarven baby?.... You know what, I made the Giant badgers sound like sane DF players.
A Kea has stolen a coke!

King DZA

• Bay Watcher
  • Ruler of all things ruleable
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2012, 01:00:11 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

There are only about six coffins unfilled in the central burial chamber. Though to be fair, a good amount of them are animals, so I think I've done a fairly decent job at keeping the little bearded ones alive during the ten year lifespan of the fort.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4