Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4

Author Topic: How big is your catacomb?  (Read 3417 times)

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your catacomb?
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2012, 03:08:49 am »

I generally go with mass graves, usually multiple parts of five chambers with room for twenty coffins each, and a sixth with room for engraved slabs in case of ghosties. For my military, I make reasonably fancy tombs, with elaborate ones for soldiers that have high kill counts before they die (i.e. ones with titles), or are militia commanders (I choose only Legendary +5 Miners for this job, except in the case of ranged squads). Probably the most dwarves / pets I've had dead before losing / abandoning a fort was around 80-90.

Nobles either get really fancy tombs to make them shut up, or just enough to make them content. The one exception for this is the dwarf I choose to have for a manager / record keeper / broker, as those positions are actually useful.

Oddly enough, death by magma is usually enough to keep the noble ghosts from coming back, with the occasional engraved slab just in case.
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Aspgren

• Bay Watcher
  • Every fortress needs a spike pit.
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2012, 03:29:58 am »

I think that a large catacomb is a good thing... sort of.

If it has been filled with dwarves who died valiantly over the years, each of whom was given time and attention to recieve an ornamental and carefully constructed tomb - then it is good. It becomes a hall of heroes!
 If, on the other hand, the fortress is struck with famine, rot or some other disaster upon which most of the population keels over. Then the corpses are rushed into the catacombs and litter the hallways. Nameless dwarves with pointless deaths. It becomes a hall of terror. A reminder of the great cataclysm.
The crossbow squad, 'The Bolts of Fleeing' wouldn't even show up.
I have an art blog now.

Azure

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2012, 06:17:13 am »

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

No shame at all unless your purposely hurling them off a 50 z-level tower.(Shame on you for not using them in medical experiments.) Most of us have hundreds of dead dwarves after all. Even if your not reckless, disease and lucky shots add up over the years. I have 7 9x9 rooms holding 41 or so coffins each.

Its pretty cool your spending the effort on making a nice catacomb for all your dwarves.

Wannazzaki

• Bay Watcher
  • [PRONE_TO_RAGE:9001][TOO_HAIRY][ADAMANTINE BEARD]
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 27, 2012, 06:26:49 am »

Depends how many i expect to die.
Son of Slaanesh, full of desire, He does cocaine and his head's on fire! DOOOOOOOOOOOOOM Rider! Doom rider! Na na, na na!

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2012, 06:34:10 am »

I atom smash dead people and rune smite their souls.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

MagmaSolutionsInc

• Bay Watcher
  • Likes elves for their screaming, bubbling noises.
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2012, 08:05:23 am »

Accidentally flooded my last big catacomb. Upon reflection, it seemed kind of appropriate. Plus I managed to salvage most of the unused coffins through autodump, so not much waste overall.

There were a couple of hundred dorfs at rest there.
stopped zombie cats from adopting dwarves

... with magma.

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2012, 08:17:05 am »

I've never made a catacomb with more than ten coffins. It's sort of a paradox, if I have time to make a catacomb I won't need it and if I need it having a catacomb is the least of my worries.

MasterMorality

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2012, 08:19:08 am »

Right now I have a small catacomb carved out, and a small tomb section carved out, for nobility and heroes. It's only partially carved and I've run out of coffins, but I think I have more dead than I can bury at this time. 

I usually have a lot of dead things.

ThatAussieGuy

• Bay Watcher
  • King of the HFS & only man to win v0.31.25
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2012, 08:20:37 am »

830-ish in the first real fortress, about 930-ish (I think) in Swordthunders.  All dwarf corpses.  It would've been higher, but I'd driven the civ to extinction due to starting both forts in low double-digit years.  I generally just excavate one huge cavern and fill it over the life of the fortress, for the record.

Gamerlord

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice GM
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: January 27, 2012, 08:29:58 am »

Does anyone else build slabs for the really tough enemies, I mean the ones that gave you a good fight?

Broseph Stalin

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Surgeon, Proficient Butcher.
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 27, 2012, 08:42:48 am »

Does anyone else build slabs for the really tough enemies, I mean the ones that gave you a good fight?
I build giant lavish memorial halls for tough enemies. 

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 27, 2012, 09:14:16 am »

In my current fort, I have 2 filled coffins after 5 years of in-game time.  Both civillians.  Both slain by dagger wounds to the head by a thief.   >:(

I've got separate burial chambers dug out for each of my militia and fortress guard squads though, with a tomb preassigned to each member.  I wish it was easier / possible to make sure militia were buried together posthumously.

Anyway, in my previous fort, I think I lost over a hundred in about 10 in-game years.  Most of them to sieges, but maybe about 40 or so to a single forgotten beast with deadly dust that caused massive bleeding.  Didn't have enough coffins, so the bodies piled up and started rotting, but even that didn't push the fort into a tantrum spiral.

My burial chambers are pretty simple.  I should liven them up a bit with statues and stuff I suppose.  I was stupid enough to start burying too close to the surface in my last for though, so it's in a soil layer.  No engraving.   :(
Through pain, I find wisdom.

rephikul

• Bay Watcher
  • [CURIOUSBEAST_IDEA]
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 27, 2012, 09:44:32 am »

In my current fort, I have 2 filled coffins after 5 years of in-game time.  Both civillians.  Both slain by dagger wounds to the head by a thief.   >:(
By the end of year 2 most of my dwarves already have some kind of headgears, a bone helmet at the very least. And wow 5 years of nothingness. I usually get 5 deaths from the first 2 seasons if not more.
Intensifying Mod v0.23 for 0.31.25. Paper tigers are white.
Prepacked Dwarf Fortress with Intensifying mod v.0.23, Phoebus graphics set, DFhack, Dwarf Therapist, Runesmith and a specialized custom worldgen param.

Telgin

• Bay Watcher
  • Professional Programmer
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: January 27, 2012, 09:53:06 am »

By the end of year 2 most of my dwarves already have some kind of headgears, a bone helmet at the very least. And wow 5 years of nothingness. I usually get 5 deaths from the first 2 seasons if not more.

I'm doing an above ground fort and have the pop cap set low enough to not get sieges yet.  Still, I haven't seen any ambushes for some reason... I don't think my fort value is that low, even for an above ground fort.

I think I will be trying the thing with putting civilians in squads so I can give them armor in my next fort.  If nothing but a helmet.  On the other hand, one of those civvies was decapitated by said steel dagger.  Don't think a helmet helps with that.  Or does it?
Through pain, I find wisdom.

Noodz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 27, 2012, 10:18:18 am »

I kinda like not making a central catacomb, but instead digging crevices in valuable veins and clusters along hallways. I bury my dwarves inside these crevices, trying to keep them buried close to the place they died, and then seal the crevice, preferably with a wall made of valuable metal. The result is a regular fortress where the dead are littered around, with the eventual rose gold wall remembering a dwarf who was strangled by a marauding ogre.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4