Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4

Author Topic: How big is your catacomb?  (Read 3419 times)

ASCIt

• Bay Watcher
  • ._.
    • View Profile
Re: How big is your catacomb?
« Reply #30 on: January 27, 2012, 10:23:41 am »

My current fort has one grave, containing the body of a berserker. It was a possession, so it wasn't a heavy loss, but it hurt just the same...
This is a very dorfy thread, and you WILL read it.

Triaxx2

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 27, 2012, 12:24:08 pm »

I had one fort, the first MountainFell I think, that had a tower of the dead. Ten z high, cast obsidian 5x5 with four caskets per level. Completely unnecessary. Magma leak. Enough said...

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #32 on: January 27, 2012, 02:08:49 pm »

First tombs are simple, 200x200 rooms filled with coffins. Eventually I get down to burying Dwarves, and placing memorials on the level above their tomb.

Vehudur

• Bay Watcher
  • [evil]
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: January 27, 2012, 08:49:55 pm »

Here's one from a previous fort of mine:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)
...and a third died in his bunk of natural causes - for a dagger in the heart quite naturally ends one's life.

I used to have an avatar, but I was told to remove it after it kept making people go insane.

Tharwen

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 28, 2012, 02:04:20 am »

In most of my forts, I just set a workshop to build coffins on repeat at the start, then fill up a massive empty room with them as the game progresses.

Also, I have a question - is it possible to set coffins to automatically be usable when you build them rather than having to activate them individually?
[Signature]

Brewster

• Bay Watcher
  • Dabbling Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: January 28, 2012, 02:16:57 am »

I usually have 10 deaths per year or so. My current fortress is year 5 w/ only two deaths. This is mainly due to my easy defense.

One I was testing an artifact weapon against a goblin ambush and another was a mining into magma accident.

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 28, 2012, 02:23:34 am »

I like to make big catacombs with lots of extra room.

Hopefully enough room so that if 3/4 the population dies they will all have proper burials.
I plan on eventually filling up all the empty spaces in the tombs with coffins. As of right now only about six coffins are occupied, though.
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 28, 2012, 02:36:05 am »

Has anyone said "That's not a polite question to ask and it's none of your damn business" yet?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Doughnut189

• Bay Watcher
  • Tomorrow, and tomorrow, and tomorrow.
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 28, 2012, 02:51:15 am »

Has anyone said "That's not a polite question to ask and it's none of your damn business" yet?

No,
I'd assume that most of us have already measured and compared to the average.
Catacombs.

Remember back when you felt guilt for doing things, guys?
Imagine you're driving a car. Push the gas pedal to the floor. Close your eyes. Remain this way for ten minutes while turning the wheel at whim. This is Dwarf Fortress.
I don't mean to alarm you, but it appears that your Dwarves are all in fact elephants.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 28, 2012, 03:17:18 am »

Remember back when you felt guilt for doing things, guys?
i have no idea what you mean by that, but im laughing so hard im CRYING over here.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Veylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 28, 2012, 03:38:56 am »

I've gone back and forth between having 5x6 mass grave rooms (because you can fill them with a single max-sized order!) and long passageways with nooks every other square for coffins. I tend to like having enough empty coffins for the entire fort so that the dead can buried and not stink up the place and/or inspire rage in friends and relatives. I usually keep a "graveyard" room conveniently nearby for limbs that predecease their owners.
At what point did the suggestion of child sacrifice become the more ethical option?

Cyroth

• Bay Watcher
  • [FABULOUS]
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 28, 2012, 03:44:10 am »

I build no catacombs.

All my dead are put into stone coffins that I place in depleted ore veins. If one of the veins is filled I close it with a wall.
Soldiers that die in honorful combat (so no guards that get killed by a kobold thiefs or honey badgers they are assigned to kill), dorfs I consider heroes and other important dorfs (legendary smiths for example) do also get slabs that are placed in my forts main hallways.
Demons are preferable to ravens.
A noble just suffered a genuine unfortunate accident.
Has that ever happened before?

Babylon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 28, 2012, 01:28:40 pm »

I generally just build a big room full of coffins.  in my current fort the room is shared with a bowyers workshop and a barracks for one of my squads, I think it helps motivate the squad.

Splint

• Bay Watcher
  • War is a valid form of diplomacy.
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 28, 2012, 03:18:31 pm »

Most I've had at ony one time was.... 20 I think? Usually because of cave ins, intentional or not, or soldiers being perforated with bolts. In the latter case it typically means I lose the fort the following year by another ambush and no lever pullers.

Such a shame too, cause I go to the touble of mining out the tombs and everyone dies before they get to be used.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: January 28, 2012, 04:00:44 pm »

whatever main wide passage the dwarves have to travel through often, ill dig out 1 square alcoves in the walls and put the coffins there, so my dwarves get happy thoughts from them.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4