Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40664 times)

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)
« Reply #405 on: January 22, 2012, 10:09:46 am »

We Have To Get the Money Out of Politics
I wonder what the US political scene would be like with legislation such as "Saving American Democracy" and "Plan for Washington Reform"?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Myroc

• Bay Watcher
  • Lurking Skeleton
    • View Profile
« Reply #406 on: January 22, 2012, 10:45:18 am »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dqmR5StBPws

A video worth watching, apparently the US can arrest anyone who's ever used Megaupload to download copyrighted material and cannot pay the 150,000$ per work downloaded, since they got all the records of who has ever downloaded anything from their servers. Now this all seems a little hyperbolic, and I doubt it is quite as severe as he is making it out to be, but it is still something to be concerned about, since that's apparently something they can do.

See, this is the thing that irks me the most with all of these attempts at censorship and political crap. It is not the fact that they're trying to restrict internet freedom or all of that. It's that the United States are arresting and imprisoning foreign citizens living in foreign countries that have nothing to do with the USA simply because they've broken a US law. That is bullshit of the highest degree and I cannot realize why other countries are letting them get away with it; It's akin to some arabian country in central asia arresting a british citizen for not beliving in Islam.
We all have problems. Some people just have more awesome problems than others.
Getting angry is fun. Getting angry over petty things even better.

Johnfalcon99977

• Bay Watcher
  • The Herp Derp Assassin
    • View Profile
« Reply #407 on: January 22, 2012, 01:18:08 pm »

Fuck.

ACTA goes into effect Jan 26. Were doomed.

Edit: Welcome to the new Prohibition, only this time around the thing getting banned is useful.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 01:26:54 pm by Johnfalcon99977 »
Also known as the Knowlagable, the Forgetful, and/or the Ignored

Please excuse my horrible awful linguistic skills.

Valid_Dark

• Bay Watcher
  • If you wont let me Dream, I wont let you sleep.
    • View Profile
« Reply #408 on: January 22, 2012, 01:41:12 pm »

You're saying alcohol isn't useful?     ;D
There are 10 types of people in this world. Those that understand binary and those that don't

My milkshake brings all the criminals to justice.

MorleyDev

• Bay Watcher
  • "It is not enough for it to just work."
    • View Profile
    • MorleyDev
« Reply #409 on: January 22, 2012, 01:47:10 pm »

And my response to this idea of prohibition isn't "No alcohol? But how the devil are people supposed to breed? :S"

Also as far as I can tell the UK hasn't signed this yet. That's a good sign, right?

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #410 on: January 22, 2012, 01:48:22 pm »

Thankfuly to my knowledge the EU has thus far declined to sign this hideous thing.
Signatories    United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea
But still the whole process of it's negotiation was done in secret and that infuriates me in ways I find difficult to describe.
I'm twitching slightly from rage.
It's a strange world where crackpot consipiracy theorists raving about shadow governments and secret conspiracies to steal away our freedoms seem ever more correct with each passing day.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #411 on: January 22, 2012, 01:52:06 pm »

*Picks up torch and pitchfork*
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #412 on: January 22, 2012, 01:56:00 pm »

The thing about Corperate Person hood is that at essence it makes perfect sense.

There are just some things a person can do that a corperation needs to be able to in order to run a successful buisness (at the time they pushed for Corperate personhood they wanted the ability to buy other buisnesses I believe... something like that)

The issue comes when those same laws are used as a liability waiver or are simply exploited. So the problem is more of the abuse of the law then the law in essence.

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #413 on: January 22, 2012, 01:57:50 pm »

.....Is it me, or is anyone ELSE getting flashbacks to middle school and Ray Bradbury? Because this seems like one giant neon-red flashing light to the slippery slope that leads to midnight readings and Firemen al la Fahrenheit 451

Yes.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Bohandas

• Bay Watcher
  • Discordia Vobis Com Et Cum Spiritum
    • View Profile
« Reply #414 on: January 22, 2012, 01:59:31 pm »

You're saying alcohol isn't useful?     ;D

I know I've certainly found it useful for dealing with the bad news of the last few weeks.
NEW Petition to stop the anti-consumer, anti-worker, Trans-Pacific Partnership agreement
What is TPP
----------------------
Remember, no one can tell you who you are except an emotionally unattached outside observer making quantifiable measurements.
----------------------
Έπαινος Ερις

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #415 on: January 22, 2012, 02:01:37 pm »

Wow I thought I had a few more years until the internet was owned entirely by corperate interests... Apperantly Its going to happen within 5.

I mean ALL the projections have said that it would happen to the internet eventually... but they gave me like 20 years.

YetAnotherStupidDorf

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #416 on: January 22, 2012, 02:05:10 pm »

Currently Anonymous and "hackers", as retarded (as usual) media calls them, stir stink about ACTA in my country. Good luck, you will need it. I have doubts about methods used, but I do not see anyone doing anything else around. Arguments like "DDOS is like peaceful blocking streets, sit-ins etc" are becoming more and more convincing, especially if only alternative is whining on internet forums...

...oh irony.
Dwarf Fortress - where the primary reason to prevent death of your citizens is that it makes them more annoying then they were in life.

Montague

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #417 on: January 22, 2012, 02:13:53 pm »

Thankfuly to my knowledge the EU has thus far declined to sign this hideous thing.
Signatories    United States, Australia, Canada, Japan, Morocco, New Zealand, Singapore, and South Korea
But still the whole process of it's negotiation was done in secret and that infuriates me in ways I find difficult to describe.
I'm twitching slightly from rage.
It's a strange world where crackpot consipiracy theorists raving about shadow governments and secret conspiracies to steal away our freedoms seem ever more correct with each passing day.

This exact thought occured to me when I read about ACTA. What in the hell that all about? Are these types of international economic treaties between governments ever kept a secret like that? Why the hell would it need to be a secret?

Also, this shit is apparently already a done deal, so I figure it is only a matter of time before the internet is regulated to death.

Currently Anonymous and "hackers", as retarded (as usual) media calls them, stir stink about ACTA in my country. Good luck, you will need it. I have doubts about methods used, but I do not see anyone doing anything else around. Arguments like "DDOS is like peaceful blocking streets, sit-ins etc" are becoming more and more convincing, especially if only alternative is whining on internet forums...

I don't wonder if this sort of tactic won't just backfire on them. They are going to use the internet to attack those businesses and governments working to limit the internet? It just seems to be that it'll fuel their arguments saying the free internet is dangerous to the economy and prove to the layman that they are correct in imposing regulation to protect it.
« Last Edit: January 22, 2012, 02:19:37 pm by Montague »

Jerick

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #418 on: January 22, 2012, 02:15:43 pm »

I imagine this video will be taken down when they start implementing ACTA

...oh irony.

Well here's something you can do from your chair, post ACTA topics on other forums spread the word; raise awareness about; email your representatives (even though they'll ignore you)
I personaly plan to quit the apathetic attidude that's made this kind of bullshit easy for them (even though they've made it clear they didn't even want us to know about this thing till it was signed and clearly know this isn't in our best intrests)

palsch

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #419 on: January 22, 2012, 02:24:21 pm »

So wait, people are only just hearing about ACTA? That's more terrifying than the treaty itself. It's been major news on a wide swath of the internet since at least 2008 and realistically 2006 when it was first proposed. During the peak times there were at least two stories a day in my RSS feeds about it.

Hell, there have been concentrated actions that have delayed and even temporarily blocked it a few times. Two years ago there was even an Early Day Motion entered in Parliament voicing concerns about the treaty, signed by 81 MPs from pretty much every party.
Pages: 1 ... 26 27 [28] 29 30 ... 36