Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40719 times)

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
Re: Megaupload founder arrested, Megupload seized by US authorities
« Reply #255 on: January 20, 2012, 04:50:51 am »

Not unless the host country agrees. For the US to have done this they would have needed cooperation. Local forces would have had to been involved at all levels to audit it all.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #256 on: January 20, 2012, 04:58:43 am »

It's a full-of-shit charge. Since they've figured out already that Hadopi-likes will fail because there's just too many downloaders and no realistic way of tracking a significant number of them, they've decided to strike against website owners instead, because they are more visible. This will fail too, because clones pop up very easily, and owners can conceal themselves by using the same tactics corporations use (consider the "sale" of the pirate bay that supposedly took place a couple of years ago, for instance)
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

Jimmy

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #257 on: January 20, 2012, 05:17:39 am »

The downside with the Megaupload situation is that this discourages other companies to invest into data-locker style business models. Also the legal precedent set by this case will define the future of any other similar services, such as Dropbox, etc. Only those with the seal of approval from the rights holder groups will be given the green light to offer their services, thus maintaining the monopoly of the current hegemony.

In sort, writing off Megaupload and switching to another service won't solve the core problem of rights holders having the power to turn off a website that has no search function and provides no direct links to infringing material.

SalmonGod

• Bay Watcher
  • Nyarrr
    • View Profile
« Reply #258 on: January 20, 2012, 05:20:10 am »

I can't help but laugh whenever someone mentions rights in a conversation about abuses of power.
In the land of twilight, under the moon
We dance for the idiots
As the end will come so soon
In the land of twilight

Maybe people should love for the sake of loving, and not with all of these optimization conditions.

Sensei

• Bay Watcher
  • Haven't tried coffee crisps.
    • View Profile
« Reply #259 on: January 20, 2012, 05:42:10 am »

"The Mega Conspiracy"? Is that their own silly name for themselves, or did the US courts really establish the use of that?
Let's Play: Automation! Bay 12 Motor Company Buy the 1950 Urist Wagon for just $4500! Safety features optional.
The Bay 12 & Mates Discord Join now! Voice/text chat and play games with other Bay12'ers!
Add me on Steam: [DFC] Sensei

Mictlantecuhtli

• Bay Watcher
  • Grinning God of Death
    • View Profile
« Reply #260 on: January 20, 2012, 05:46:07 am »

"The Mega Conspiracy"? Is that their own silly name for themselves, or did the US courts really establish the use of that?

The Super Axis of Mega Evil Conspirators. Propaganda much?
I am surrounded by flesh and bone, I am a temple of living. Maybe I'll maybe my life away.

Santorum leaves a bad taste in my mouth,
Card-carrying Liberaltarian

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #261 on: January 20, 2012, 05:49:51 am »

Well it must be true. The hyper awesome super good happy group for the rights of fun and friendly corporations said it.

jester

• Bay Watcher
  • Dwarvern Survialist Nutter
    • View Profile
« Reply #262 on: January 20, 2012, 06:42:08 am »

Does this mean gun manufactures should be expecting piles of conspiracy to commit murder charges?
If life gives you lemons, burn them.

Simmura McCrea

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • My Steam profile
« Reply #263 on: January 20, 2012, 07:24:11 am »

Does this mean gun manufactures should be expecting piles of conspiracy to commit murder charges?
Of course not. That would be consistent.

da_nang

• Bay Watcher
  • Argonian Overlord
    • View Profile
« Reply #264 on: January 20, 2012, 08:50:33 am »

When I invented the Web, I didn't have to ask anyone's permission. Now, hundreds of millions of people are using it freely. I am worried that that is going end in the USA.
I take it Tim Berners-Lee was right all along?
"Deliver yesterday, code today, think tomorrow."
Ceterum censeo Unionem Europaeam esse delendam.
Future supplanter of humanity.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #265 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:15 am »

I think the SOPA guys are Dark Kantians. They're compelled to do evil for evil's sake, regardless of it's utility.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #266 on: January 20, 2012, 08:53:57 am »

If I spraypaint copyrighted quotes on the Congress building, will they shut it down?
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

Neonivek

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #267 on: January 20, 2012, 08:58:31 am »

No, you don't become president or congressperson because of a forum, or something.

You don't become one of those by passing stupid laws either, though, especially when the people who started the bill have no idea what they're talking about. Make up all the numbers and statistics you want about revenue, or american jobs, or whatever; if you're arguing with someone who knows more than you on a subject they'll wipe the floor with your "facts".

Actually you do. The fact that you are willing to pass outlandish laws in order to advance the interests of your sponsors means you have a greater ability to reach those possitions then someone with a lot more sense.

Its just how politics work.

Don't believe me? Look up Copyright laws and BASK in how they changed the law several times in favor of vested interests. (I don't consider the "You can't sue fast food for getting you fat" law to be a corrupt one.)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #268 on: January 20, 2012, 09:01:05 am »

Doubt it. There have been ip traces that led to the Europarliament, the Elyseum Palace,  and the RIAA. Sarkozy openly pirated a documentary to hand around 200 copies. However, rather mysteriously, noone levels copyright breach accusations against these

Starver

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #269 on: January 20, 2012, 10:12:10 am »

They took down FBI.gov

Assuming it hasn't already been posted (how many more pages?) this is almost relevant.

If only Randall had chosen the other TLA at the time of writing. :)
Pages: 1 ... 16 17 [18] 19 20 ... 36