Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40727 times)

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #120 on: January 18, 2012, 09:00:20 pm »

You don't even need to do that. add a .m. in between the en and the wikipedia and you end up at the normal mobile version.

That sounds like more work then just stopping it for redirecting.

hermes

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: January 18, 2012, 09:09:35 pm »

Is anyone else looking at this whole thing through a warped looking-glass wondering how long they've been sleeping?

Having read some articles analysing PIPA and SOPA, they are so comedically draconian I can't believe people are taking this so seriously!  I'm really cynical about this kind of thing and to me a looks like a setup to make Google, Facebook, Twitter et al look like the heroes of the free world again.  The US State Department has been doing this for months (years?) now, most notably with the "Arab Spring" which was nothing more than a thinly veiled ad campaign to get as many people to sign up to Facebook as possible because, you know, Facebook servers are in the US *cough*policingprotestsfromadeskwithdonutscoffeeandalaptop*cough*.

Actually, following the events of last year, I read some article where political analysts were worried that the State Department had over-politicised social media thus running the risk of undermining their own policy in that area.  The current situation seems like the perfect antidote to that - stage a mock struggle for internet freedom in congress, have the internet win and credibility is restored.  There are so many positive repercussions that would stem from this scenario, not least increased awareness of "political freedom of the West" in countries like China and Iran that are firmly in the crosshairs of the US.

I will be quite red in the face if the bill passes.   :-[

edit - I thought I'd try to back this up with evidence, and miraculously found the article from an old Foreign Policy magazine (don't worry, B12, I cancelled my subscription) ... here it is.  The key sentence I was thinking of is, "By aligning themselves with Internet companies and organizations, Clinton's digital diplomats have convinced their enemies abroad that Internet freedom is another Trojan horse for American imperialism."

This whole thing is, for me, interesting on another level, because here we have two of America's biggest "soft powers", Hollywood and the internet, ostensibly fighting it out.  Whichever way it goes, the result will be telling of where US foreign policy lies.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 09:22:01 pm by hermes »
We can only guess at the longing of the creator. Someone who would need to create one such as you. - A Computer
I've been working on this type of thing...

Eagleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Soundcloud
« Reply #122 on: January 18, 2012, 09:32:47 pm »

On the other hand, to me, occam's razor seems to cut towards rich politicians being funded to tinker with a system they know nothing about. Why would lobbyists from the entertainment industry be interested in Google and Wikipedia gaining popularity? Maybe Google has double-agents inside the RIAA, or less absurdly they don't want a bill to be passed that would force their (incredibly pricey) relocation to a friendlier country.
Agora: open-source, next-gen online discussions with formal outcomes!
Music, Ballpoint
Support 100% Emigration, Everyone Walking Around Confused Forever 2044

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: January 18, 2012, 09:46:27 pm »

Is anyone else looking at this whole thing through a warped looking-glass wondering how long they've been sleeping?

Having read some articles analysing PIPA and SOPA, they are so comedically draconian I can't believe people are taking this so seriously...

This whole thing is, for me, interesting on another level, because here we have two of America's biggest "soft powers", Hollywood and the internet, ostensibly fighting it out.  Whichever way it goes, the result will be telling of where US foreign policy lies.

Reading through some of the statements made by Senators and Representatives says a lot about how Congress really works when nobody's looking.  Which is to say, not much at all actually happens.  The most common phrase that comes up in these statements is that they're going to "review" or take a "second look" at the bill, which is to say read it for the first time.

On issues that don't hew to a common partisan dividing-line, most Congressmen don't feel the need to pay much attention, because they know voters and vote-activists aren't going to.  These are usually industry versus industry policy fights - the example I heard was one about a year ago of retailer-lobbyists versus banking-lobbyists fighting over federal rules on charge-card swiping fees.  That's usually were you get the ridiculously long and technical laws, which are essentially written by consultants and staffers, and Congressmen sign off based on which other Congressmen are supporting it as future bargaining power.

It's entirely likely that 90% of the Congress never even looked at SOPA/PIPA until the last couple days, when their phones started ringing off the hook like it was a tax-bill or something.  I think one Representative even admitted he didn't remember he'd been listed as a supporter until now.  It's certainly dismaying to watch, but I suppose you can take some solace in how many people in both parties basically said, "So I finally read that SOPA thing and yeah this is preposterous."
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Jacob/Lee

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: January 18, 2012, 10:56:06 pm »

Protesting SOPA via avatars woo

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: January 18, 2012, 10:58:43 pm »

No sig editing?

EDIT: Look at this. That might be old, but Monster Cable (as in the producers of Beats by Dre, a line of headphones) has been listing Craiglist, EBay and other similar sites as 'rogue sites'.

The bill isn't out yet, but you can see that the effects already manifest in some form. It only takes passing the bill in order for the idiots to perform the wretched deed of banning everything that isn't them.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 11:09:53 pm by New Guy »
Thank you for all the fish. It was a good run.

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: January 18, 2012, 11:33:09 pm »

http://latimesblogs.latimes.com/technology/2012/01/google-anti-sopa-petition.html
And today, when Google asked its users to sign a petition protesting two anti-piracy laws circulating in Congress, millions responded.

A spokeswoman for Google confirmed that 4.5 million people added their names to the company's anti-SOPA petition today.
Sign here, if you haven't already: https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: January 18, 2012, 11:40:31 pm »

I live in the Philippines, but I signed up anyway. SOPA/PIPA's effects have a significant negative impact to the whole infrastructure of the internet, both in the US and globally.

Glowcat

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: January 19, 2012, 12:06:13 am »

If any SOPA supporter enters this forum, they shall quake at the sight of our image identifiers!
Totally a weretrain. Very much trains!
I'm going to steamroll this house.

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #129 on: January 19, 2012, 12:25:08 am »

Copyrighted material removed. Bandwagons are fun!
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

Trapezohedron

• Bay Watcher
  • No longer exists here.
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: January 19, 2012, 12:31:33 am »

I shall hop into this bandwagon too...

when I'm able to access my computer. D:

mainiac

• Bay Watcher
  • Na vazeal kwah-kai
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: January 19, 2012, 12:38:21 am »

Having read some articles analysing PIPA and SOPA, they are so comedically draconian I can't believe people are taking this so seriously!

The thing you need to realize about congress is that they will come right out and say exactly what their view is of anything that isn't actually classified.  They might coach it in language that makes it sound better but they say what they want.
Ancient Babylonian god of RAEG
--------------
[CAN_INTERNET]
[PREFSTRING:google]
"Don't tell me what you value. Show me your budget and I will tell you what you value"
« Last Edit: February 10, 1988, 03:27:23 pm by UR MOM »
mainiac is always a little sarcastic, at least.

Angel Of Death

• Bay Watcher
  • Karl Groucho?
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: January 19, 2012, 12:39:17 am »

If SOPA gets in, it will cause the death of the internet :(
99 percent of internet users add useless, pulled out of arse statistics to their sig. If you are the 1%, please, for the love of Armok, don't put any useless shit like this in your sig.
Hidden signature messages are fun!

Pnx

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: January 19, 2012, 01:13:04 am »

If SOPA gets in, it will cause the death of the internet :(
Ok, I know SOPA is really bad, but this kind of sentiment I keep hearing is really way to extreme. If it passes, the world will keep on turning, and the internet will keep on running, if in a very crippled form.

It won't be the first time people have lived under a great injustice. Think about drafting and the Vietnam war, or the whole "separate but equal" thing.

I'm confident that even if it does pass, one day (though it may be a while), it will be overturned.

Criptfeind

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: January 19, 2012, 01:14:48 am »

Actually, I am thinking it will not be crippling. Just... Stifling. With the bigger issue being the trend.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 36