Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36

Author Topic: Copyright General (Calm discussion only please)  (Read 40732 times)

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
Re: SOPA returns! - Google, Wikipedia and Reddit blackout in protest
« Reply #105 on: January 18, 2012, 07:22:56 pm »

Huh, this is a pretty neat site:http://www.opencongress.org/wiki/Protect_IP_Act_Senate_whip_count

Fascinating.  It is surprising how apparently non-partisan it is at this point, breakdown seems to be almost even both ways running.  Odd that Bernie Sanders hasn't declared a position on it yet, you'd think he'd be shouting from the rooftops by now, knowing him.  Also surprised that my Senator John Cornyn is against it, a man who's never met an industry kickback he didn't like.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Tilla

• Bay Watcher
  • Slam with the best or jam with the rest
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: January 18, 2012, 07:25:50 pm »

I'm disappointed in Al Franken as a co-sponsor. Before this he seemed pretty reasonable and I respected him as a creator and a politician. No longer.

Aqizzar

• Bay Watcher
  • There is no 'U'.
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: January 18, 2012, 07:35:15 pm »

I'm disappointed in Al Franken as a co-sponsor. Before this he seemed pretty reasonable and I respected him as a creator and a politician. No longer.

You have to remember where he's coming from though.  He was an actor since the 1970s, the industry line on copyright protection is all he knows.

Tellingly enough, Googling "al franken" suggested "al fraken sopa", and when I tried to look up his acting career, I had to think for a moment why Wikipedia wasn't letting me read his page.
And here is where my beef pops up like a looming awkward boner.
Please amplify your relaxed states.
Quote from: PTTG??
The ancients built these quote pyramids to forever store vast quantities of rage.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: January 18, 2012, 08:07:25 pm »

Maria Cantwell and Patty Murray aren't in support, so I'm happy with my senators so far today. One's against, the other undecided.

Yahoo is covering the blackout as well.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2012, 08:10:55 pm by Barbarossa TSG »

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
The Artist Formerly Known as Barbarossa TSG

Karlito

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: January 18, 2012, 08:13:58 pm »

I noticed there's a SOPA discussion thread in DF General today and yeck, suddenly it's clear to me why I almost never read the upper boards.

Harry Reid would be the one non-cosponsor supporting the bill, even if he is unable to articulate a clear position.

My other guy is undecided apparently, but I hear so little about Dean Heller in the first place that I forgot John Ensign resigned 7 months ago.
This sentence contains exactly threee erors.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: January 18, 2012, 08:25:34 pm »

Whats the upper boards thread like?

Also, from looking through a couple sites, I've gotten this list of droppings:
Senators: Rubio, Boozman, Inhofe, Cornyn, Blunt, and Hatch have all dropped support or co-sponsorship from PIPA
Reps: Quayle, Terry, Amash, and possibly others have done so for SOPA.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

lemon10

• Bay Watcher
  • Citrus Master
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: January 18, 2012, 08:31:22 pm »

One dude being pissed at the blackouts on wikipedia and some webcomic he reads (and over time and argument getting less angry and disagree with wikipedia's actions less), and everyone else being largely anti SOPA.
And with a mighty leap, the evil Conservative flies through the window, escaping our heroes once again!
Because the solution to not being able to control your dakka is MOAR DAKKA.

That's it. We've finally crossed over and become the nation of Da Orky Boyz.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: January 18, 2012, 08:37:16 pm »

Everyone has been talking about this in real life. I get the feeling this blackout really will make a difference.
Aye, even my high school Current World Problems teacher talked about it for half the period. The word is out, now we must remain vigilant.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas

Agdune

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: January 18, 2012, 08:38:17 pm »

I don't think the other thread is that bad. I mean, I've seen plenty worse down here (c'mon, there's a thread here demanding the destruction of Hollywood through the bay12 forum users creating 'Kopyleft' and distributing enough to collapse their markets. No high horses should be present, get off. :p)

Since I have very little to say on SOPA that hasn't allready been said (it's terrible, it or something like it is inevitable, etc.), I just will point out how amazing it is that almost every male in those congressional pictures has managed to get the exact same hairstyle. I'll have to assume it's some sort of 20th century equivilant to those white wigs British officials used to wear (the ones which are now really only used by judges and such). Except it's far uglier and gives me the impression each and every one is a member of a 60ies sitcom and is about as smart as a phonebook.
I'm Mr. Cellophane

Gatleos

• Bay Watcher
  • Mournhold... City of Light... City of MAGIC!
    • View Profile
    • Someone Sig This
« Reply #114 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:40 pm »

Is Toady joining in, or did he accidentally hit enter? :P

I'm actually surprised how well this blackout is working. I wasn't expecting such a huge reaction.
Think of it like Sim City, except with rival mayors that seek to destroy your citizens by arming legions of homeless people and sending them to attack you.
Quote from: Moonshadow101
it would be funny to see babies spontaneously combust
Gat HQ (Sigtext)
++U+U++ // ,.,.@UUUUUUUU

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: January 18, 2012, 08:39:51 pm »

Everyone has been talking about this in real life. I get the feeling this blackout really will make a difference.
Aye, even my high school Current World Problems teacher talked about it for half the period. The word is out, now we must remain vigilant.
On the other hand, my AP Human Geography teacher told us about how he explained to his wife with sadistic glee that Wikipedia would be blacked out on the day before a major project was due. Apparently she didn't understand why he loved the timing so much.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Max White

• Bay Watcher
  • Still not hollowed!
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: January 18, 2012, 08:41:51 pm »

No really, Javascript, turn it off and Wikipedia runs as normal. In chrome you can even set it up so that it will run for any site but Wikipedia.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: January 18, 2012, 08:46:18 pm »

That's not even necessary. You can just stop the page from redirecting you. But that doesn't matter because I know my schoolmates are not competent enough to figure that out.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Aklyon

• Bay Watcher
  • Fate~
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: January 18, 2012, 08:52:55 pm »

You don't even need to do that. add a .m. in between the en and the wikipedia and you end up at the normal mobile version.
Crystalline (SG)
Sigtext
Quote from: RedKing
It's known as the Oppai-Kaiju effect. The islands of Japan generate a sort anti-gravity field, which allows breasts to behave as if in microgravity. It's also what allows Godzilla and friends to become 50 stories tall, and lets ninjas run up the side of a skyscraper.

Heron TSG

• Bay Watcher
  • The Seal Goddess
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: January 18, 2012, 08:59:22 pm »

Or you could use NoScript. It's not supposed to be blacked out irrevocably, it's meant to be blacked out the first time people see it, when they won't know how to react.

Est Sularus Oth Mithas
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 36