Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 372919 times)

MoLAoS

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #3060 on: April 19, 2014, 12:26:06 am »

Getting both a teleporter and a hacking device, plus a fire bomb/beam? Way more luck-reliant than I care for.
Of course, the only reason I want this achievement is so I can get Rock B, so then I can get Rock C, so I can skip 2/3rds of the luck-based bullshit required to get to the crystal homeworlds...
I dare anyone to say that FTL doesn't rely heavily on the whims of the RNG.

Its a Roguelike-like though. So of course it is?

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3061 on: April 19, 2014, 12:51:21 am »

I've heard people say that FTL is entirely skill-based and that no luck is involved. I honestly don't see how that could be the case.

This run, for example. Managed to get hacking and teleporter. Have visited over half a dozen shops and not found a single fire weapon. Got hit with three asteroids in the time it took for the shield to recharge once.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Mr Space Cat

• Bay Watcher
  • inactive, changed accounts. sig for info
    • View Profile
« Reply #3062 on: April 19, 2014, 01:06:31 am »

Yeah. FTL has luck involved.

Unlocks are annoyingly rng based. I really didn't enjoy the game until I managed to unlock more than 3 ships, which required lots of playing on easy and hoping I'd find ship quests. With the update where you can unlock stuff by beating the boss, it takes some rng out, but it's still there. Lots of other rng stuff too, but the unlocks are the most annoying imo. Early game was a really boring slog fest of the same ships in suicide runs to unlock stuff. Unfun. Would have more fun grinding in Diablo 3. Thankfully it got better quickly once I started unlocking more options.

I guess there is some skill involved in managing your ship and getting by with what you have, but considering your ability to pause and think your actions through whenever kinda moots the point. Not so much skill as it is just thinking. It's not like 360 noscopes or rocketjumping or airshots, or micromanaging your marines to counteract baneling balls before your army gets wrecked and the zerg storms your base, or doing a barrel roll.

I 'unno. Maybe I'm underestimating the skill of thinking.
Made a new account that I use instead of this one. Don't message this one, I'm probably not gonna use it.

New account: Spehss _

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #3063 on: April 19, 2014, 01:15:30 am »

I've heard people say that beating the boss is more skill based than luck based, sure, but I don't think I've ever heard anyone say that unlocks aren't. Which was even more true before the Advanced edition.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3064 on: April 19, 2014, 01:17:11 am »

Fun stream, guys. Thanks for showing up!

For those who didn't watch, we beat the game on Hard with the Slug C. Hacking and Mind Control, coupled with two Ion Blasts, a halberd beam, and the chain laser made short work of the boss.

And yeah, some of the unlocks are incredibly luck based. I don't think the fire one is even that bad compared to the others. Beating the game? Not usually luck based (rare circumstances can kill you off, but those are rare). Getting certain unlocks? Hella luck based. (Crystal Sector, here's looking at you!)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3065 on: April 19, 2014, 01:19:19 am »

A single solar flare just set five different systems on fire.

Fuck this run, fuck this game for the rest of the night. It clearly doesn't want me to get anything done.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3066 on: April 19, 2014, 01:25:50 am »

Fuck this run, fuck this game for the rest of the night. It clearly doesn't want me to get anything done.

Does the enemy have a teleporter!? This might have been your chance! :P

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #3067 on: April 19, 2014, 01:28:09 am »

Does the enemy have a teleporter!? This might have been your chance! :P
Nope. Besides, the achievement specifically states that it has to be on the enemy ship.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3068 on: April 19, 2014, 01:45:43 am »

They get close to dying before fleeing. I cannot keep anyone in a flaming room, they all run away at low health. They'll fight if I move in to fight them, but the instant a flame appears they bail. And since I need to kill them while they are on fire...
Basically, I need a new plan.

Why not just wait for the rest of the ship to burn? So long as they have oxygen they can't run forever.
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

jaxy15

• Bay Watcher
  • Adept Modder
    • View Profile
« Reply #3069 on: April 19, 2014, 02:39:39 am »

While we're on the topic of that rock cruiser fire achievement, I just got it without a teleporter. I hacked the weapons room, where a Zoltan was, and I shot a missile at it, setting it on fire. The Zoltan burned to death while trying to open the door.
Dwarf Fortress: Threats of metabolism.

Jim Groovester

• Bay Watcher
  • 1P
    • View Profile
« Reply #3070 on: April 19, 2014, 04:06:19 am »

Lanius boarders are everything I hoped they would be.

Ion Pulses, Beam Drone IIs, Flak IIs, and Heavy Laser Is are pretty evil though.

I was doing a Rock B run and got two Lanius crewman in Sector 2, but the stupid fucking game held out on stocking a store with a Crew Teleporter until Sector 6 or something like that. It was pretty tense up until that point, but the run magically smoothed out after that. And then the previously mentioned beacon of death happened.

I hate Hard.

EDIT: And then I started a Zoltan B run, got two extra Zoltans, a human crewman (a net three power gain), and I bought a heavy laser I.

And then I died to an Auto Assault in a an asteroid field.

I hate Hard.

EDITEDIT: And then I started a Stealth B run. GUESS WHAT HAPPENED THERE

THAT'S RIGHT

I DIED

I hate Hard.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 04:40:34 am by Jim Groovester »
I understood nothing, contributed nothing, but still got to win, so good game everybody else.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3071 on: April 19, 2014, 05:12:22 am »

then stop playing on hard if all it does is frustrate you :v

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

Leafsnail

• Bay Watcher
  • A single snail can make a world go extinct.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3072 on: April 19, 2014, 05:13:06 am »

While we're on the topic of that rock cruiser fire achievement, I just got it without a teleporter. I hacked the weapons room, where a Zoltan was, and I shot a missile at it, setting it on fire. The Zoltan burned to death while trying to open the door.
Wait, it doesn't need to be with boarders?  That makes it way easier, I often randomly burn guys to death when hacking.  Just hack a room with a guy in it and bombard it with weapons with a fire chance, you'll get the achievement sooner or later.

miauw62

• Bay Watcher
  • Every time you get ahead / it's just another hit
    • View Profile
« Reply #3073 on: April 19, 2014, 08:39:24 am »

Just won an Engi A run with two ion 2's and two combat drones.
I just sort of walked through the first two stages. Last stage gave me some boarders that I couldn't defeat because my drones got hit and I needed my crew to repair them, but I managed to get so much scrap that most of my systems were overupgraded anyway, so the beating I took wasn't *that* bad.

This is an incredibly overpowered build though. I got my second ion 2 at the end of the first sector and powered it up at the end of sector 2. Death by asyphixation is rather reasy when you have two of these.

Quote from: NW_Kohaku
they wouldn't be able to tell the difference between the raving confessions of a mass murdering cannibal from a recipe to bake a pie.
Knowing Belgium, everyone will vote for themselves out of mistrust for anyone else, and some kind of weird direct democracy coalition will need to be formed from 11 million or so individuals.

BFEL

• Bay Watcher
  • Tail of a stinging scorpion scourge
    • View Profile
« Reply #3074 on: April 19, 2014, 08:50:53 am »

Just won an Engi A run with two ion 2's and two combat drones.
I just sort of walked through the first two stages. Last stage gave me some boarders that I couldn't defeat because my drones got hit and I needed my crew to repair them, but I managed to get so much scrap that most of my systems were overupgraded anyway, so the beating I took wasn't *that* bad.

This is an incredibly overpowered build though. I got my second ion 2 at the end of the first sector and powered it up at the end of sector 2. Death by asyphixation is rather reasy when you have two of these.

Engi A is a ship constructed entirely of orgasmatronium. That's how epic it is.
7/10 Has much more memorable sigs but casts them to the realm of sigtexts.

Indeed, I do this.
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 [205] 206 207 ... 243