Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373661 times)

Azurestrike

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1860 on: January 02, 2013, 06:43:53 pm »

You're killing off the crew.

Well, you're boned.

I beg to differ.

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1861 on: January 02, 2013, 08:01:49 pm »

Wat. Killing crew activates the auto-heal!
Yeah, but fires will constantly damage the systems. Besides, it's not like the hull heals.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1862 on: January 02, 2013, 08:04:56 pm »

Yeah, but fires will constantly damage the systems. Besides, it's not like the hull heals.

You've knocked out the O2. Fires are gon' go out. Best practice is to leave the laser room guy alive and wreck everything else.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Sirus

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident trucker/goddess/ex-president.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1863 on: January 02, 2013, 08:10:41 pm »

You've knocked out the O2. Fires are gon' go out. Best practice is to leave the laser room guy alive and wreck everything else.
Until the O2 gets fixed by the auto-repair! But yeah, best to leave at least one guy alive.
Quote from: Max White
And lo! Sirus did drive his mighty party truck unto Vegas, and it was good.

Star Wars: Age of Rebellion OOC Thread

Shadow of the Demon Lord - OOC Thread - IC Thread

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1864 on: January 03, 2013, 11:47:58 am »

I don't understand this mentality.  I much MUCH prefer the AI to the crew.  You don't even need weapons anymore, just tele your crew over and break systems as it repairs them.
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.
Especially if that fat pig Tony is at the desk.

sluissa

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1865 on: January 03, 2013, 12:00:18 pm »

If you've got three shields, the laser won't be able to do anything to you and the AI can repair everything at once(just very slowly) so you stand the risk of several dangerous systems coming back online at once.

Maldevious

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1866 on: January 03, 2013, 12:10:21 pm »

So... on the fence about this game. Can you give some pros and cons?

GreatJustice

• Bay Watcher
  • ☭The adventure continues (refresh)☭
    • View Profile
« Reply #1867 on: January 03, 2013, 12:19:28 pm »

So... on the fence about this game. Can you give some pros and cons?

Kinda hard to do that. I'll give it a try, though.

Pros:
-Fairly challenging, yet rewarding. Early on, you will die repeatedly as you learn the ropes, but after a point you start to understand deeper strategy and will actually be far more effective.
-Awesome music, though it gets old after a while.
-Makes you feel like a goddamn space captain

Cons:
-Lacks a lot of features. I think the devs planned to make a 10k game, received 200k, and made a 30-50k game with that instead. You really notice the reused events after a point, and I just feel like it could have been a lot bigger (say, multiple ship engagements or something). Mods can solve this to a point, though.
-A couple of the ships aren't really balanced (See: The garbage ass Engi B vs the super ossum Mantis B)
The person supporting regenerating health, when asked why you can see when shot in the eye justified it as 'you put on an eyepatch'. When asked what happens when you are then shot in the other eye, he said that you put an eyepatch on that eye. When asked how you'd be able to see, he said that your first eye would have healed by then.

Professional Bridge Toll Collector?

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1868 on: January 03, 2013, 12:41:29 pm »

If you've got three shields, the laser won't be able to do anything to you and the AI can repair everything at once(just very slowly) so you stand the risk of several dangerous systems coming back online at once.

Boarding crew in missile compartment.  Weapons fire concentrated on engine/shields

Whats the problem?

Edit: heck you can put one man in missile bay, and one in laser bay, and any other spare crew in other locations on the ship.
« Last Edit: January 03, 2013, 12:44:30 pm by Cecilff2 »
There comes a time when you must take off the soft, furry slippers of a boy and put on the shoes of a man.
Unless of course they don't fit properly and your feet blister up like bubble wrap.
Oh ho ho, but don't try to return the shoes, because they won't take them back once you've worn them.

Tellemurius

• Bay Watcher
  • Positively insane Tech Thaumaturgist
    • View Profile
« Reply #1869 on: January 03, 2013, 12:43:59 pm »

them blowing out your teleporter and killing off your boarding cre

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1870 on: January 03, 2013, 12:45:10 pm »

Came so, so close twice in a row. First time around, I had full cloak and shields, and a loadout of Pegasus, Ion Blast, Burst Laser I and Fire Bomb. With Stealth Weapons.

Pegasus and Fire Bomb worked beautifully to take out the forward weapons rooms, and cloaking allowed me to dodge the missiles, shield blocked everything else. Only took two damage in Phase 1.

Drones were annoying as hell in Phase 2, but cloak helped with that, and my bombs took out all the forward weapon systems while I teleported my two Mantises onboard to fuck some shit up.

Unfortunately, I wasn't paying attention and they killed off all the crew. Which meant it jumped out. With my Mantises onboard.  :'(

Phase 3 was going pretty well....and then I ran out of missiles. Ion and Burst Laser simply couldn't penetrate. And it wouldn't let me teleport anybody onboard to wreck the shield generator. Jumped away, hoping to find some more missiles but I couldn't and then I was out of turns.

Started over with a first run in a Zoltan cruiser. Skated through the first 4-5 sectors like a boss. Zoltan shields mean basically never taking damage the first couple of sectors. Accumulated a ridiculous amount of scrap, so that by the end-run, I had a Heavy Ion, a Halberd Beam, and two Breach Missiles. With nearly 60 missiles in inventory. And full cloak. Hells to the yeah.

Phase 1: Over so fast, it caught me by surprise. Racking up 8 hull damage every time I fired a pair of missiles, plus another damage when the subsystem was destroyed meant that it went down hard and fast. No damage taken, and still had 50+ missiles.

Phase 2: )(*#^(&$^#*&(&#&* DEFENSE DRONES. I needed bombs. Or a teleporter, although my crew was mostly Engis and Zoltans. And the drone swarm kept whittling down my shields as fast as I could recharge them. Plus MF'ing boarding drones (see "crew mostly Engi and Zoltan").

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Blargityblarg

• Bay Watcher
  • rolypolyrolypolyrolypoly
    • View Profile
« Reply #1871 on: January 04, 2013, 10:03:03 am »

Plus MF'ing boarding drones (see "crew mostly Engi and Zoltan").

If the drone room is damaged at all (i.e. anything but grey) the boarding drone will lose power; it seems to be lowest priority. Try to let it move into an adjacent room before depowering it so you can repair the hull breach without having to micromanage destroying the drone first.
Blossom of orange
Shit, nothing rhymes with orange
Wait, haikus don't rhyme

Cecilff2

• Bay Watcher
  • PikaaAAAAあああああ
    • View Profile
« Reply #1872 on: January 04, 2013, 10:30:29 am »

them blowing out your teleporter and killing off your boarding cre

How's it going to destroy your crew with no crew to fight back?

Teleporter being damaged/destroyed is a risk with the flagship still being crewed anyways.
« Last Edit: January 04, 2013, 10:34:20 am by Cecilff2 »

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1873 on: January 04, 2013, 10:55:51 am »

Plus MF'ing boarding drones (see "crew mostly Engi and Zoltan").

If the drone room is damaged at all (i.e. anything but grey) the boarding drone will lose power; it seems to be lowest priority. Try to let it move into an adjacent room before depowering it so you can repair the hull breach without having to micromanage destroying the drone first.
I know...problem was that I was relying on paired Breach Missiles to do any damage. Defense Drone(s) kept shooting them down, so no way to hit the drone controls.

Had another close run last night, with the Stealth Ship. Breezed through the first two stages with full cloak, stealth weapons and a pre-igniter. Weapons loadout was Ion Burst II, Hull Laser II, Breach Bomb.

Phase I: No damage taken, took out all the forward weapon sections, then focused on shields till they were down and used hull laser on empty sections to wipe out the hull.

Phase II: Took about 50% hull damage, but managed to cut the crew down to 1 guy in the upper right weapon section before taking out the ship.

Phase III: FUCK. The upper right weapon section is what fell off, so now the crew is dead. Suddenly the evasion seems through the roof, and I'm missing with my bombs like crazy. And can't seem to drop the shield down with the rapid-fire ion burst fast enough to get my hull laser to penetrate. Couple of sprays of that "super-weapon" Death Blossom laser and I'm toast.

This game embodies Final Boss like a....well, like a boss.

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1874 on: January 04, 2013, 11:46:20 am »

Strange. I defeat the boss about 3 times out of four. Reaching him is the difficulty.
Pages: 1 ... 123 124 [125] 126 127 ... 243