Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 373633 times)

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #1890 on: January 07, 2013, 01:02:11 pm »

...Important question.

How many points of power are you putting into your cloak?

And are you making sure to fire your weapons as soon as the enemy charge attack ends?
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 01:17:28 pm by GlyphGryph »

Catastrophic lolcats

• Bay Watcher
  • [FORTRESSDESTROYER:2]
    • View Profile
« Reply #1891 on: January 07, 2013, 01:11:33 pm »

I always found it a little silly that you had to attack the flagship in the end. You've dragged your crew through hell and back in a spaceship that has been through the wars only to be told to take on the biggest ship the rebels have. I'd personally tell the navy to go suck a space dick and find a nice Engi settlement to pillage and set up shop.
Clearly the rebels are the more competent faction and I'd wager the rebels would be a lot lighter on loyalist deserters.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1892 on: January 07, 2013, 01:43:54 pm »

A brief walkthrough for cloaking your way to victory over the final boss:

Core principle:
Cloaking has a static cooldown. Using it to it's best advantage means only ever using it for as long as possible - the sooner it ends, the sooner you can use it again.

Step 0: (preperation)
If you have stealth weapons, trash them before this fight. They will do the opposite of helping. Okay, that's not actually strictly true - it can help a bit on the first form. But it's better to replace them with something useful.
Make sure you have a halfway decent engine and someone manning it - It's important that the cloak brings you up to, or at least close to, 100% evasion, since we won't be counting on it's lockdown ability so much as it's evasion boost.

Step 2: (Stage 1)
Switch power to max for fighting the first form. You want to disable the enemy weapons for as long as possible while you disable them, so you have the chance to kill all but one of the crew, and the cloak stops standard enemy weapons from charging.

Step 3: (Stage 2)
Reduce power consumption on the cloak to 2. This means you'll need a bit tighter timing, but this will last through the entirety (or at least bulk) of the drone attack. Leave it at three if you're not comfortable with your timing and you can do the following.

Step 4: (Stage 2)
Cloak as soon as the drones appear on screen. As soon as the drone attack ends, /fire a weapon/. You want your cloak to end ASAP, and firing weapons will knock chunks off it. The faster it goes down, the faster it starts reloading.

Step 5: (Stage 3)
Finally, reduce your cloak power to 1 for this fight. The attacks all hit at roughly the same time, so you don't need a cloak that's longer - you need a cloak that recharges as fast as possible.

Step 6: (Stage 3)
Again, cloak after the plasma enters your screen, and fire your weapons as soon as the last bolt misses. This should give you plenty of time to recharge before the next blast.

Finally... VICTORY! Good job! You win!

Micro102

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1893 on: January 07, 2013, 01:53:56 pm »

Is there some sort of bug with asteroid fields? I got into a fight in one, and I noticed that the enemy wasn't encountering any asteroids at all, and that I seemed to be getting their share. The asteroids alone were eating through my lvl 2 shields and damaging my ship.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1894 on: January 07, 2013, 02:00:37 pm »

Taking on the flagship as the alternate mantis ship was pretty funny. 6 elite mantis boarders ransacking the place while a fire raged in their med bay was great.

My best advice would be to use ion and fire bombs. After killing and disabling each of their weapons with individual boarders (except one of the middle ones, to leave one crew alive), I knocked out the doors with an ion bomb and the med bay with fire. I think my only other weapon was a basic heavy laser. Losing the doors means that fire spreads better, and allows the boarders to murder and disable freely. If everyone on board dies though, systems will be able to slowly repair.

It really amazed me how incompetent the federation is, but some of the in game text does give a glimpse into what they're like, if you've found it.

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #1895 on: January 07, 2013, 04:29:56 pm »

Yeah, one of the best runs I had was with fire bombs and breach missiles at the end. Don't think I had cloaking on that run though...

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1896 on: January 07, 2013, 04:48:41 pm »

Ehh.

Ehhhhhhh.

My first try with Federation Cruiser (unlocked 2 badges, couldn't be easier).

The Artillery Beam is a nice thing. It's just kinda unwieldy and not that reliable. Firebombs missed almost everytime so the only fire I started was in the missile launcher. Whilst Phase 1 went so-so and afterwards I used up the repair point, the 2nd Phase, well...

Let's an image speak for itself:

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

I managed to disable the missile launcher (Fire Bombs continued to miss 99% of time), but the amount of beams and heavy lasers and boarding drones just slowly ground me into pile of debris.

This also broke my proud achievement line of 'If I get to Rebel Flagship, I win!' :C

Maybe if I had 4th layer of shields or more evade...

* Haspen sulks in corner.
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1897 on: January 07, 2013, 05:10:10 pm »

Man, you were underarmed(empty weapon slots!?) underdefended (empty drone slots? both shield AND evasion unmaxed?), and understaffed. How did you even GET to the final boss in that condition. o__o

It's also probably the hardest ship to win with since you can't use cloaks with it, and cloaks really are the weakness of the final boss.

Dermonster

• Bay Watcher
  • Break the world, see what falls out.
    • View Profile
« Reply #1898 on: January 07, 2013, 05:11:47 pm »

I find a maxed out artillery beam to be quite useful actually.

Then again I have every system maxed out by the end of the game every time so I suppose my cheating ass opinion doesnt count.

Question: What is the absolute worst ship?
I can do anything I want, as long as I accept the consequences.
"Y'know, my favorite thing about being a hero is that it gives you all kinds of narrative justification to just slay any ol' jerk who gets in the way - Black Mage.
"The bulk of [Derm]'s atrocities seem to stem from him doing things that [Magic] doesn't actually do." - TvTropes
"Dammit Derm!" - You, if I'm doing it right.
Moved to SufficientVelocity / Spacebattles.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1899 on: January 07, 2013, 05:18:14 pm »

Federation cruiser (both variants), closely followed by the Engi B. In my opinion.

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #1900 on: January 07, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »

Engi B.

The federation Cruiser is actually quite usefull, being the only ship that can defeat the flagship without ever firing it's weapons. You really need to invest in shields and defensedrones though.

Haspen

• Bay Watcher
  • Cthuwu
    • View Profile
« Reply #1901 on: January 07, 2013, 05:22:39 pm »

Man, you were underarmed(empty weapon slots!?) underdefended (empty drone slots? both shield AND evasion unmaxed?), and understaffed. How did you even GET to the final boss in that condition. o__o

It's also probably the hardest ship to win with since you can't use cloaks with it, and cloaks really are the weakness of the final boss.

Hmm, dunno. The game progressed nicely until the point of "Oh it's last Sector already... wait, it's last Sector already? Fuck."

Not that much of Scrap got either during the game. I think I shouldn't have put all that Scrap in Artillery Beam. Also, Rebel Fleet often caught with me by mere 2-3 pixels when I thought I will make it to the beacon and get normal event.

Had additional Human and a Zoltan, but both died during Phase 1.

And you forget I don't use cloak/teleports on ships that doesn't start with them :P

From other news: Got with Stealth Cruiser to the end of Sector 3 before dying! Progress! :D

Question: What is the absolute worst ship?

Hmm. Personal experience says Stealth Cruiser. Engi B is also tough (never got further than Sector 6).
« Last Edit: January 07, 2013, 05:25:38 pm by Haspen »
SigFlags!
Quote from: Draignean@Spamkingdom+
Truly, we have the most uniquely talented spy network in all existence.
Quote from: mightymushroom@Spamkingdom#
Please tell me the Royal Physician didn't go to the same college as the Spymaster.

WealthyRadish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #1902 on: January 07, 2013, 05:32:39 pm »

What IS the federation like?

Most of what I came across was in the ship unlock quests. It was months ago though, so it'd be difficult to name specifics without getting it horribly garbled. Some of the special crew actions in the various homeworlds also gave some insight as well, I think.

One of my main beefs with the game was the lack of variation in the encounters, but it is made up for somewhat in the special crew/equipment options that come with most of them.

Also, doesn't one of the stealth cruisers start with a Glaive Beam? I'll take that over the artillery laser any day.

Tarran

• Bay Watcher
  • Kind of back, but for how long?!
    • View Profile
« Reply #1903 on: January 07, 2013, 05:37:09 pm »

You guys underestimate the value of the Artillery Beam. It's not very practical, but it ensures that you can never truly be unable to kill any enemy so long as you can survive yourself.

During my run with the Stealth Ship, it would've been really handy as the final boss was extremely hard for me to crack.
Quote from: Phantom
Unknown to most but the insane and the mystics, Tarran is actually Earth itself, as Earth is sentient like that planet in Avatar. Originally Earth used names such as Terra on the internet, but to protect it's identity it changed letters, now becoming the Tarran you know today.
Quote from: Ze Spy
Tarran has the "Tarran Bug", a bug which causes the affected character to repeatedly hit teammates while dual-wielding instead of whatever the hell he is shooting at.

Nadaka

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • http://www.nadaka.us
« Reply #1904 on: January 07, 2013, 05:38:11 pm »

Its been a while since I played. but i may try again. I never did unlock the crystal ship... not sure if I unlocked all the other 2nd form ships but i may have.
Take me out to the black, tell them I ain't comin' back...
I don't care cause I'm still free, you can't take the sky from me...

I turned myself into a monster, to fight against the monsters of the world.
Pages: 1 ... 125 126 [127] 128 129 ... 243