Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 243

Author Topic: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.  (Read 374061 times)

BigD145

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: FTL - Faster than light - spaceship crew management and roguelike.
« Reply #930 on: September 23, 2012, 09:25:11 am »

How so? I just found it fun. Key to remember though is avoid missions where you could lose a crewmember, hah.

But those are the missions where you could gain a crew member.

Strange guy

• Bay Watcher
  • Strangely normal
    • View Profile
    • Steam ID
« Reply #931 on: September 23, 2012, 09:33:53 am »

After 34 games with no victories, I just got my second one in a row using the federation cruiser I unlocked the previous game for the first time. I ended up with tons of scrap, but weaponry I wasn't really happy with. Should have spend some of that scrap on drone control or teleporter instead of saving it for weaponry, then again I had maxed power and still not enough for everything in sector 8. The weapons I had proved far better once I swapped out the pike beam for the breach bomb mk II when enemies with 4 shields started appearing, I had my starting burst laser mk II, the artillery beam and a halberd beam as well as that. In many ways that was a very lucky run, most scrap, found all those weapons even if I ddin't get a chance to buy better ones, found a pre-igniter and late game when I had plenty of scrap found a repair arm which let me have some repairs between the boss stages.

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #932 on: September 23, 2012, 10:32:05 am »

How so? I just found it fun. Key to remember though is avoid missions where you could lose a crewmember, hah.
Well, having one crew member means that pretty much no one is going to be getting any skill XP.

The ship is a bit under power.

If your EMP gets dodged, you're kinda of fucked.
And anything with 2 shields, you can't take on.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #933 on: September 23, 2012, 11:10:14 am »

Well, maybe not immediately, but that's true with a lot of ships. The key is to fix those flaws at the earliest opportunity. :P

MrWiggles

• Bay Watcher
  • Doubt Everything
    • View Profile
« Reply #934 on: September 23, 2012, 11:15:54 am »

Well, yea but its a bit hard when you cant even get past sector 2.
Doesn't like running from bears = clearly isn't an Eastern European
I'm Making a Mush! Navitas: City Limits ~ Inspired by Dresden Files and SCP.
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=113699.msg3470055#msg3470055
http://www.tf2items.com/id/MisterWigggles666#

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #935 on: September 23, 2012, 11:16:07 am »

Tip: turning off your life support is not, in fact, the best strategy for dealing with intruders. Even with the engi med augment.

1 survivor >_<

TempAcc

• Bay Watcher
  • [CASTE:SATAN]
    • View Profile
« Reply #936 on: September 23, 2012, 11:55:37 am »

B layout for the crystal ship is the best boarding thing ever. The crystal's special ability + the cloaking just makes boarding earlier a whole lot easier, thankfuly, since its basicaly the only thing you can do since you start without drones or weapons :P
On normal internet forums, threads devolve from content into trolling. On Bay12, it's the other way around.
There is no God but TempAcc, and He is His own Prophet.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #937 on: September 23, 2012, 12:22:38 pm »

Tip: turning off your life support is not, in fact, the best strategy for dealing with intruders. Even with the engi med augment.

1 survivor >_<

Of COURSE it is - but vent every room OTHER than the ones your guys are in, in addition, when you do it. Keep the air in that room as long as possible to give them the edge. (Turning off life support makes rooms vent faster, so it's a pretty standard anti-boarding tactic for me. Can kill... any number of boarders, really, before they even reach my guys)

B layout for the crystal ship is the best boarding thing ever. The crystal's special ability + the cloaking just makes boarding earlier a whole lot easier, thankfuly, since its basicaly the only thing you can do since you start without drones or weapons :P
It really is. The lockdown ability is incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, it has literally NO way to fight Zoltans or Autoships. :/

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #938 on: September 23, 2012, 12:59:00 pm »

1 survivor >_<

Of COURSE it is - but vent every room OTHER than the ones your guys are in, in addition, when you do it. Keep the air in that room as long as possible to give them the edge. (Turning off life support makes rooms vent faster, so it's a pretty standard anti-boarding tactic for me. Can kill... any number of boarders, really, before they even reach my guys)

It really is. The lockdown ability is incredibly powerful. Unfortunately, it has literally NO way to fight Zoltans or Autoships. :/
Boarding with crystals works on autoships, though you are going to lose one crewmember for each fight.

GlyphGryph

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #939 on: September 23, 2012, 01:23:52 pm »

Works... for what, though? There's no crew to kill, and thus no way to achieve victory condition. It's fine once you get a weapon, but autoships are awfully common in sector one, making that difficult.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #940 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:23 pm »

Destroying a system with boarding crews causes 1 damage to the hull.

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #941 on: September 23, 2012, 01:35:29 pm »

Not that I've tried it, but with an upgraded teleporter, could you beam two guys over, damage a subsystem, and then beam them back before they suffocate? If so, you could eventually win by destroying a subsystem, waiting for it to repair one step, and then destroying it again. If that one subsystem is weapons, you might even survive.  :)

10ebbor10

• Bay Watcher
  • DON'T PANIC
    • View Profile
« Reply #942 on: September 23, 2012, 01:49:42 pm »

Not that I've tried it, but with an upgraded teleporter, could you beam two guys over, damage a subsystem, and then beam them back before they suffocate? If so, you could eventually win by destroying a subsystem, waiting for it to repair one step, and then destroying it again. If that one subsystem is weapons, you might even survive.  :)
Yes, it works with rockmen and a lvl 1 teleporter. (So it will also work with crystals). I think a lvl 2-3 tele can handle all but Zoltans.

Take care as you're going to be running quite low on health.

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #943 on: September 23, 2012, 01:54:56 pm »

But in the end, someone has to stay to destroy the last hull point.

You know, we do have a human with no skills who picked up at the previous beacon on board...

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

alway

• Bay Watcher
  • 🏳️‍⚧️
    • View Profile
« Reply #944 on: September 23, 2012, 01:56:44 pm »

1 survivor >_<

Well yes, but I wasn't doing the venting bit. Just turning off the life support. :P
Pages: 1 ... 61 62 [63] 64 65 ... 243