Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eyes do you have?

<10<
<15<
<100<

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27

Author Topic: Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool  (Read 40961 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool
« on: January 11, 2012, 01:30:52 pm »

Basically, this thread is about the stupid things in life that you or others have done. And when I mean stupid, I mean stupid that borders on "if it doesn't kill you..." and "if I can do it, I should."

Also, if it's about someone else, make sure you have their permission. We don't want hurt feelings here. Just stupidity >:|

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

So here's my stupid.

I have a high pain threshold. The result of lots of painful, PAINFULLY PAINFUL things having happened to me over the ages. One of my friends had a bright idea that I should prove to him that my punching skills are unrivaled, by punching a wall. It was covered with some sort of signboard... And I have unusually dense knuckles.

!!ARG WHY DOES IT NOT HURT!!

You can imagine the rest.

Pulled a hamstring in my left finger, and as we speak it still hurts like crap. But I left a dent in the signboard. Totally won my stupid.

-----------

Oh wait, 6 knuckles. Good times.

"I fought the wall, and the wall won."

« Last Edit: May 27, 2012, 06:36:53 pm by Loud Whispers »

Darvi

• Bay Watcher
  • <Cript> Darvi is my wifi.
    • View Profile
Re: The really, REALLY stupid thread.
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2012, 01:31:32 pm »

Should I write an autobiography or something?

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: The really, REALLY stupid thread.
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2012, 01:32:50 pm »

Should I write an autobiography or something?

You really shouldn't, but the internets says yesh :D

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile

This is the one that still makes my wife shake her head and wonder how I made it adulthood:

So when I was about 12 or so, me and a buddy decided to rebuild his treehouse. To start, we wanted to rip out the boards that made a wall between two trees down on the first level. But why simply rip out the boards with a crowbar or claw hammer when you can make demolition itself more entertaining?

We found a toppled-over clothesline pole. A big sturdy metal one with a square pole about 3 inches on each side. A perfect (if somewhat skinny) battering ram. We would CHARGE the wall into submission! And how lucky for us that it was at the bottom of a slope!

So we lugged the pole to the top of the slope and got into position, him in front and me in the back. And down we went with a hearty "CHAAAARGE!"

...about two seconds before impact, I realized that carrying the hollow end of a large metal pole directly in front of my stomach was probably a bad idea, given the way physics work with that whole inertia thing. I tried to yank the pole over beside me -- like my more intelligent friend up front -- and got about halfway before impact. Cue a young RedKing hitting the end of that suddenly not-moving pole like a piece of meat on a shish kabob. Thankfully, I had gotten it over to the lower right portion of my rib cage, so instead of skewering myself I just punched a hole right through the clothing and flesh and stopping at the ribs.

Hung suspended in mid-air for a couple of seconds, then flopped off and rolled further down the hill for another 20 yards or so. Cue friend running down and asking, "Are you okay?"  ::)

It healed pretty well considering we didn't go to the hospital or anything. I just have a small horizontal scar where the deepest part of the cut was. It was kinda freaky to peel my shirt off and see this perfect square sliced into me and see glints of white in the wound.  :o

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Ottofar

• Bay Watcher
  • Wait, spinning?
    • View Profile

I posted in a thread just to be on page one.

No, but I failed at relocating my Steam folder, broke some game files, and now need to download approximately 40GB of games, if I want to play them.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 02:38:29 pm by Ottofar »

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

So our washing machine was broken one time, by which I mean water was spraying out the back of it and it was rocking back and forth really noisily and the whole thing was just one giant "Oh crap oh crap oh crap". I had the brilliant idea of unplugging it, thus giving pause to whatever horrible thing was about to happen. Now, an important thing to note, and one that I had overlooked in my plan, was that the outlet was directly behind the machine, exactly where the water was spraying. Another crucial fact is that our water is hard enough to conduct electricity PRETTY effectively.

BZZZZZRK. Fortunately, my hand vibrated strongly enough to pull the plug out of the outlet, and no lasting harm was done.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

Levi

• Bay Watcher
  • Is a fish.
    • View Profile

We had a junk shed with a bunch of pieces of wood and random junk in it as a kid.  Me and my brother found a bunch of big fluorescent lamp tubes.  We proceeded to have fun glass-shattery sword fights with them all.  Fun times!
Avid Gamer | Goldfish Enthusiast | Canadian | Professional Layabout

zchris13

• Bay Watcher
  • YOU SPIN ME RIGHT ROUND~
    • View Profile

Had fun with a fountain pump, some 10-gallon water jugs, and some plastic tubing. Not to mention water EVERYWHERE, unplugging the fountain pump, my fingers slipped onto the prongs. BZZZAP. Buzzed like your mother's vibrator for a while. Good times.
Also posting to be on first page.
this sigtext was furiously out-of-date and has been jettisoned

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Walls must have something against Bay12'ers :P
So our washing machine was broken one time, by which I mean water was spraying out the back of it and it was rocking back and forth really noisily and the whole thing was just one giant "Oh crap oh crap oh crap". I had the brilliant idea of unplugging it, thus giving pause to whatever horrible thing was about to happen. Now, an important thing to note, and one that I had overlooked in my plan, was that the outlet was directly behind the machine, exactly where the water was spraying. Another crucial fact is that our water is hard enough to conduct electricity PRETTY effectively.

BZZZZZRK. Fortunately, my hand vibrated strongly enough to pull the plug out of the outlet, and no lasting harm was done.

You unplugged it when it was on?   ???

Bauglir

• Bay Watcher
  • Let us make Good
    • View Profile

You unplugged it when it was on?   ???
Yes, since the idea was to disconnect it from its power source, thus preventing it from continuing to draw water and be a fire hazard/just generally hazardous in general because seriously it sounded like it was going to explode (never did figure out what was wrong with it before we got a new one, though). In retrospect, the basket had probably just gotten so unbalanced that something bent, or something, because that would produce the rocking back and forth pretty effectively.
In the days when Sussman was a novice, Minsky once came to him as he sat hacking at the PDP-6.
“What are you doing?”, asked Minsky. “I am training a randomly wired neural net to play Tic-Tac-Toe” Sussman replied. “Why is the net wired randomly?”, asked Minsky. “I do not want it to have any preconceptions of how to play”, Sussman said.
Minsky then shut his eyes. “Why do you close your eyes?”, Sussman asked his teacher.
“So that the room will be empty.”
At that moment, Sussman was enlightened.

TherosPherae

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: The really, REALLY stupid thread : "I fought the wall, and the wall won."
« Reply #10 on: January 11, 2012, 03:06:52 pm »

When I was 10-ish, I found this one lamppost that would give you an electric shock when you touched it. After daring everyone around me to touch it and laughing when they jumped away when zapped, I got the bright idea to stand out there and see how long I could keep my hand on the pole.

I was out there for around an hour, even after it started raining. Couldn't move my hand for a bit after that.
Quote from: Aqizzar
Being vengeance and the night could only be improved by being the ballpunching vengeful night.
Quote from: Cthulhu
Gotham's mysteriously high mental illness rate isn't so mysterious when you find out Batman thinks subduing a guy means spiking his head into the pavement like a football.

Flying Dice

• Bay Watcher
  • inveterate shitposter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 11, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »

I recall a few from when I was much younger. Probably the worst was when I was over at a friend's house with a couple other people while their family was doing work on the electrical system, leaving a couple outlets exposed. So there were four of us, all boys age 10-11, with no supervision, exposed electrical sockets, and a pair of pliers. One of my friends bet me $5 that I wouldn't close the pliers on the contacts on either side of one of the exposed sockets. Hey, money is money, so I did it. I recall seeing a big spray of sparks, and quickly feeling thankful that I had decided to use a pair of pliers with rubber handles.

Aurora on small monitors:
1. Game Parameters -> Reduced Height Windows.
2. Lock taskbar to the right side of your desktop.
3. Run Resize Enable

DJ

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2012, 03:23:16 pm »

I jumped up and down on a landmine. It was an anti-tank mine with no fuse, and I weighed like 30kg at the time, so it wasn't actually dangerous, but still.

My friend wanted to take it apart to get to the delicious explosives inside, but luckily I was sensible enough to put a stop to that idea.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 03:26:03 pm by DJ »
Urist, President has immigrated to your fortress!
Urist, President mandates the Dwarven Bill of Rights.

Cue magma.
Ah, the Magma Carta...

RedKing

• Bay Watcher
  • hoo hoo motherfucker
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 11, 2012, 03:25:37 pm »

Since we're talking about fun with electricity....

When I was in high school, I virtually lived in our TV/film lab my last two years. We had some high-end industrial-grade equipment in there for video editing and whatnot. Somebody was editing together a piece for our daily news program, and I was just watching over their shoulder and generally loitering. The big closed-circuit TV overhead (the kind all the classrooms have) was on (it was pretty much perpetually on), and I noticed that it hadn't been dusted since probably around the Nixon administration. So I just reached up with my hand to brush some of the dust off. Before my hand even reached the screen, all the hair on my arm was standing straight up and I could literally hear buzzing in the air. The Gauss field on that thing must have been off the charts.

I was like "Whoa, check it out-" and proceeded to start wiping the dust. It was popping and crackling as I touched it. I got one good swipe of my hand in, then BAMF--

There was a flash of light, an audible pop, and I felt (and others saw) an arc between my thigh and the editing equipment I was leaning over to reach the TV. The monitors went all static-y at the same time for a split second, and my leg went numb.

When we rolled back the tape they were working on, the static was actually part of the video now. We popped out the VHS cassette, rolled the tape by hand and found that when I did my best Thor impression there, it must have caused the write head to jump or overload or something, because the physical tape medium itself was slightly melted:o

Woohoo...weapons-grade static electricity!

Remember, knowledge is power. The power to make other people feel stupid.
Quote from: Neil DeGrasse Tyson
Science is like an inoculation against charlatans who would have you believe whatever it is they tell you.

Korgus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 11, 2012, 03:55:37 pm »

I once tried to make a lamp by attaching plug to a tiny little lightbulb. It exploded.
F*** your pointy ears I've my dwarves inside.
And f*** your wooden swords I've my dwarves inside.
F*** your bins of cloth I've my dwarves inside.
If you're looking to be killed I've my dwarves outside.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 27