Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

How many eyes do you have?

<10<
<15<
<100<

Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]

Author Topic: Stupid thread : Microwaves are cool  (Read 40937 times)

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
Re: Stupid thread : So much stupid.
« Reply #390 on: May 27, 2012, 05:44:38 pm »

I think they just use magnetic induction for those, though.
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #391 on: May 27, 2012, 05:46:34 pm »

Not the ranged ones. They aren't very widespread or long-range yet, but I'm fairly certain they use microwaves.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #392 on: May 27, 2012, 05:47:57 pm »

There are ranged ones? Shit, I want one of those :o
Everyone sucks at everything. Until they don't. Not sucking is a product of time invested.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #393 on: May 27, 2012, 05:53:56 pm »

There are indeed. As I recall, they are more costly than using a power cable since the energy disperses over the distance it must travel as a microwave. Then again, no more power cables. It's a tough call.

Funnily enough, I actually came across a hypothetical proposal to charge electric cars by putting a bunch of these wireless chargers under the roads and charging them as they go. That would definitely cause our energy consumption to skyrocket, though. Also, we'd need to make them good enough to charge a battery that large while it's moving at high speed, which is quite a ways off.
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

ChairmanPoo

• Bay Watcher
  • Send in the clowns
    • View Profile
« Reply #394 on: May 27, 2012, 06:00:20 pm »

The ones that work by induction don't use power cables either. are you sure you're not getting mixed up with these? http://www.davidgilson.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2011/11/wildcharge-wireless-charger.jpg

I found some results on the web for microwave charger, but nothing too clear
https://www.google.es/search?sourceid=chrome&client=ubuntu&channel=cs&ie=UTF-8&q=microwave+charger

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
No Gods, No Masters.
Pages: 1 ... 25 26 [27]