Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64131 times)

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #600 on: February 07, 2012, 02:04:35 am »

If we're modding all civs for playability, we could implement a fort-mode round robin on civs to try keeping the numbers up. Like, for instance, player 1 is Dwarf, 2 is Human, 3 is Elf, 4 is Goblin, 5 is kobold, and so on, for however many playable civs there are.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #601 on: February 07, 2012, 02:34:28 am »

I mean in the sense that the town humans are growing old as time goes on, but no new ones are being made.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #602 on: February 07, 2012, 03:24:52 am »

what do you think of feasibility of everyone using a 2x2 embark instead of standard? Could that cut down enough to make a difference?

If we're modding all civs for playability, we could implement a fort-mode round robin on civs to try keeping the numbers up. Like, for instance, player 1 is Dwarf, 2 is Human, 3 is Elf, 4 is Goblin, 5 is kobold, and so on, for however many playable civs there are.

I wouldn't vote for either of these, just because it would probably be better for players to make these decisions on their own. The file won't grow all too quickly, and leaving all the races available and then requesting that a certain player play as a certain race would likely be unpopular.

We could set a cap on the maximum size of an embark though. Say, 4x4 is plenty of room for just about anything, unless you have an idea for an enormous bridge or something that everyone else would agree to. I'm running a 7x7 embark right now in some incredibly tall mountains (150+ z-levels from top to bottom of above-ground landscape. Another 100 or so underground including the 50 z-level first cavern layer), and I'll see how far I can push it before it becomes too enormous for the DFFD, or anyone's RAM. Or my hardrive, seeing as how I only have 5gbs of free space left, and I'd guess that would be similar to the highest possible size a file could be.

And yes, Japa, they will. However, the plan to deal with humans (or dwarves!) dieing off before adventurers get to adventure was to remove their MAXAGE tags after generation (but removing them before generation would wreak havoc on historical figures.) Probably work. Probably...
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 03:28:52 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
  • Has been forced to endure NaNoWriMo failure.
    • View Profile
« Reply #603 on: February 07, 2012, 06:51:53 am »

And yes, Japa, they will. However, the plan to deal with humans (or dwarves!) dieing off before adventurers get to adventure was to remove their MAXAGE tags after generation (but removing them before generation would wreak havoc on historical figures.) Probably work. Probably...
Cool. The ghosts shouldn't die of old age, either. (Probably fixed already, though.)
Going backwards in reversed time (just like everybody else).

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #604 on: February 07, 2012, 08:02:50 pm »

The test world is finished and uploaded. OCD got the better of me and I ended putting way more effort into it than I should've. Now to make a legit adventurer and explore the rest of these forts.
http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5456
Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Something else I thought was neat. In this pocket world, you originally couldn't make a dwarf adventurer because there were no surviving dwarf civilizations (they had been wiped out by the elves). Now you can select "Dwarf of Zasit Torul," and it highlights the location of Romancewhipped, the new capital of Dwarfdom

All non-historical wild and tame animals/monsters (even ones owned by dwarves) disappear from existence after retiring the fortress, which is rather disappointing, but it is preventable if you have a good supply of sentient sacrifices to feed them.
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:25:22 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #605 on: February 07, 2012, 08:27:49 pm »

i didnt mean to make such a friendly world.
i really didnt pay any attention to it, honestly.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Elifre

• Bay Watcher
  • Elifre mutters "Project A.R.M.O.K. needs dorfs..."
    • View Profile
« Reply #606 on: February 07, 2012, 08:37:47 pm »

On the plus side, I've yet to run into a human or elven caravan with said world. I've been using it as a test site for about four in-game years now, and only seen dwarven caravans. I -did- see a FB, so at least they're around.

Still, no sieges. :(
All hail the mighty Project A.R.M.O.K.!
Applejack is the worst pony, Loud Whispers.
Quote from: Elifre
Fear the mighty lungfish!
DEAR ARMOK THE TURKEYS ARE HATCHING!
There is no problem that cannot be solved with the liberal application of magma.
FOR !!SCIENCE!!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #607 on: February 08, 2012, 03:51:26 am »

I had an elf siege at the beginning of my second year. I was able to crush them despite a complete lack of trained military personnel. Never saw them again after that.

I found something even more distressing about artifacts. I went to my fort and grabbed Taxedhumid the artifact pig tail cloak and Summittunnel the artifact silk veil, put both on, then grabbed Lonesomeballs the red zircon scepter and Ransackedrain the artifact gold buckler. I continued to Shadyportals and snagged the artifact gemstone flute known as "The Universe of Shooting," and another I forgot the name of. I traveled a bit more and stopped to look over my collection of priceless artifacts, only to discover they had all disappeared from my inventory! (even the ones I was wearing)

It's completely impossible to keep artifacts after leaving their site of origin :-\
Though we might be able to get Toady to fix this issue by the time our world is finished :P
« Last Edit: February 08, 2012, 05:34:35 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #608 on: February 08, 2012, 04:32:22 am »

I traveled a bit more and stopped to look over my collection of priceless artifacts, only to discover they had all disappeared from my inventory! (even the ones I was wearing)

It's completely impossible to keep artifacts after leaving their site of origin :-\
horror of horrors!
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #609 on: February 08, 2012, 03:12:14 pm »

A doomsday prophecy, even!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #610 on: February 09, 2012, 05:58:41 am »

Instead of a mortifying obstacle, perhaps this is a great opportunity to provide the adventurer with mission-specific gear. No?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #611 on: February 10, 2012, 12:08:23 pm »

That's a very good idea, actually.

Also, the testing of fortress size limits progresses slowly. this embark increased the size of the file by 400mb, but since then hasn't changed regardless of progress. As long as we keep it down to 4x4 or so at most, I would wager that the size increase would be very well-managed.
I make Spellcrafts!

Vodrilus

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #612 on: February 10, 2012, 12:35:24 pm »

Thank God dial-up is a thing of the past...

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #613 on: February 10, 2012, 01:42:57 pm »

That's a very good idea, actually.

Also, the testing of fortress size limits progresses slowly. this embark increased the size of the file by 400mb, but since then hasn't changed regardless of progress. As long as we keep it down to 4x4 or so at most, I would wager that the size increase would be very well-managed.

I think limiting players to a maximum area of 16 square units (4x4, 3x5, or 2x8 max) would be acceptable to most people. Opinions?
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #614 on: February 10, 2012, 02:46:20 pm »

I use 4x4 embarks anyway, so I'm fine with that restriction.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs
Pages: 1 ... 39 40 [41] 42 43 ... 54