Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64162 times)

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #585 on: February 04, 2012, 11:30:00 am »

^ The only mod we've agreed on is the Display Case. If anyone has any other good suggestions, we might use them.
The issues with the ogres and caverns are being dealt with summarily. I'm contemplating GIH's suggestion about a material that will break down at the temperature of a floor overlaying magma, to be used in display cases to hold artifacts or other highly valuable treasures.
Can't you just take the object out of the display case as an adventurer? Or are you planning on doing something special with this feature?

I don't think having them be destroyed in order to get the item is a good idea, at least in the case of artifacts (which behave very oddly after abandonment). When you drop an artifact in adventure mode, there is no way to pick it up. But if you go back to the building from which it originally came, it will still be there in essence, and you'll be able to pick it up an infinite number of times; causing the version you dropped/are holding to disappear from existence. Yeah, I don't get it either; do you think Toady knows about this?

"Display" Pedestal sounds redundant; I'm pretty sure the whole point of pedestals is to display things. I do like the idea though.
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 11:33:53 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Graebeard

• Bay Watcher
  • The reasonable penguin
    • View Profile
« Reply #586 on: February 04, 2012, 02:41:49 pm »

Yeah, I can confirm those results. Can't fibnd any curious structures in any areas. with 12x16+4x16 embarks, no less.

Poor GIH will have to deal with a full three cavern layers :D

I thought about piping in when this was originally discussed, but it seemed like it was resolved by the time I showed up.

Are there any problems with having three cavern layers other than the fact that it puts the magma so far away?  Building a 150 z pump stack is a serious feat of patience and engineering, but I don't know of any other problems with a third cavern layer.

Instead of cutting out a cavern layer, why don't we just shrink the size of each cavern down?  It's been a while since I've genned a world, but can't we limit the size of each cavern layer and the number of z levels between each layer?  Caverns don't need to be 30 stories high to be awesome, and it's easy to fit three cavern into as little as 30zs above the magma sea.

I'd also recommend bumping up the number of levels above ground.  As far as I can tell, lots of sky doesn'e really impack FPS.  If this ever actually makes it around to me I'm thinking of doing a DF take on the Alastair Reynolds Diamond Dogs deadly maze concept.  Gonna need lots of zs for that.
At last, she is done.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #587 on: February 04, 2012, 06:21:11 pm »

We can -kinda- control the size of each cavern layer and semi-reliably the number of z-levels between layers (sometimes it likes to ignore orders...)

Basically, maximizing openness and minimizing passage density results in flat, open caverns that are relatively short vertically. The number of levels between layers seems to be harder to control, but it's set for 2 right now, except the magma sea which has 3-4 on top of it for extra magmatic happiness space. The z-lvels above ground is 35, but if it honestly doesn't affect FPS until you actually build that high, then there's no excuse not to raise it.

^ The only mod we've agreed on is the Display Case. If anyone has any other good suggestions, we might use them.

Can't you just take the object out of the display case as an adventurer? Or are you planning on doing something special with this feature?

I don't think having them be destroyed in order to get the item is a good idea, at least in the case of artifacts (which behave very oddly after abandonment). When you drop an artifact in adventure mode, there is no way to pick it up. But if you go back to the building from which it originally came, it will still be there in essence, and you'll be able to pick it up an infinite number of times; causing the version you dropped/are holding to disappear from existence. Yeah, I don't get it either; do you think Toady knows about this?

"Display" Pedestal sounds redundant; I'm pretty sure the whole point of pedestals is to display things. I do like the idea though.

The display pedestal/case is to prevent them scattering/disappearing when the adventurer comes a runnin' to steal away with them, but destroying the building is the only way to get the artifact out of it. It also permits such !!FUN!! as pressurized magma traps just as you're about to snag the loot. :D
Of course it isn't necessarily necessary to use them. Now how does this bug you're describing work? I'm very confused. I'd wager Toady has gotten reports of that bug before, at least.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #588 on: February 05, 2012, 04:39:15 am »

Why don't you just try it out yourself? I'm sure there are plenty of forts with artifacts in the pocket world.

Good grief, building a path to Hell Temple is taking unbelievably long. It doesn't help that the map is well over 200 z-levels deep... Probably going to have to resort to DFhack at this rate, since my turn is already late enough as it is. The embark is way too peaceful, and I haven't seen a single goblin in my entire run, which kinda sorta completely ruins my endgame plans. It's a good thing this is a practice run :-\
« Last Edit: February 05, 2012, 03:50:57 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #589 on: February 06, 2012, 01:00:47 am »

I succeeded in finding an artifact in earthcheerful, and promptly being smashed to death by the forgotten beast strabo. I see what you mean now. Wonder how that will play out... Some artifacts could become entirely unrecoverable if the workshop they're made in is torn down!
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #590 on: February 06, 2012, 03:27:05 am »

But if you hold on to the one artifact you get first that wouldn't be a problem right?
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Kassil

• Bay Watcher
  • Zenarchist
    • View Profile
« Reply #591 on: February 06, 2012, 10:16:06 am »

As a Discordian, it amuses me to no end that I got place #5 on the list. clearly, I'll have to make my fortress a temple to Chaos when my turn rolls around. Hopefully it'll end up being timed for my 'holiday' in mid-March, but we'll see what happens.
Wheelbarrows with wheels are inferior to the true wheelbarrow.
you mean elves with loads of stone loaded onto their backs while walking on their hands with dwarves holding their legs to guide them?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #592 on: February 06, 2012, 03:01:49 pm »

I've actually run into something moderately more concerining than buggy artifacts or elves with steel pickaxes; The addition of every 5x5 fortress adds 30-120mb to the size of the file. The world I genned recently swelled from 221mb to 485mb with 4 fortresses. On none of these fortresses have I actually built or dug anything. After 40-50 fairly mature fortresses of 2x2-7x7 embarks, we could have a 2-4gb folder when unzipped, and still be too large for the DFFD when packaged. We may need a file service with a higher ceiling :P

I wouldn't suggest capping the size of an embark or maturity of a fortress, though. This may actually be a way to determine the endpoint of the project and beginning of a new one, by stopping the world just before it becomes too large for the DFFD when packaged.
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 03:03:56 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #593 on: February 06, 2012, 03:20:59 pm »

I've actually run into something moderately more concerining than buggy artifacts or elves with steel pickaxes; The addition of every 5x5 fortress adds 30-120mb to the size of the file. The world I genned recently swelled from 221mb to 485mb with 4 fortresses. On none of these fortresses have I actually built or dug anything. After 40-50 fairly mature fortresses of 2x2-7x7 embarks, we could have a 2-4gb folder when unzipped, and still be too large for the DFFD when packaged. We may need a file service with a higher ceiling :P

I wouldn't suggest capping the size of an embark or maturity of a fortress, though. This may actually be a way to determine the endpoint of the project and beginning of a new one, by stopping the world just before it becomes too large for the DFFD when packaged.
with nearly 60 people waiting on turns, maybe we SHOULD split this up into 2 or maybe even three worlds, with like 20-30 people in each?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #594 on: February 06, 2012, 03:33:22 pm »

That would basically mean starting multiple succession-world projects at once, and they couldn't necessarily be directly associated with this one.
I make Spellcrafts!

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #595 on: February 06, 2012, 04:49:32 pm »

Why not branch the world after turn 1.
Round 1 played by 1 player, round 2 by 3 players, then you have 3 worlds from the one seed running concurently, 61 players would play this way in 210 days - at the end there would be 3 different world historys for the same world - If you don't do something like this someone may just start a copycat world anyway and you'll lose the centralised feel that this idea currently has.

Or split into 4 and get 61 players done in 160 days - it also covers you from terminally currupt saves, as there will be other worlds still running. Judging by the growth in save file size a 15 embark save might be unmanagable anyway.

I'm planning to only be an adventurer so I'll have some fun all the way along, but I'd still like to see this succeed.   Testing the idea is certainly proving to be worthwhile.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #596 on: February 06, 2012, 06:13:12 pm »

If the size of the file has an adverse effect on the loading/saving times, then we may have to. If not, I'm sure we can afford to have a huge file in this case. Let's give it a few years before the split.

I'm pretty much done with my fortress, but since Poindex hasn't been prodding me to put up the save (Community Fortress 101, bro), I've been testing out a few things. Mainly, how the way you retire a fortress affects the people and items within. DFmode makes this very easy, because when you sleep or enter a fortress in adventure mode, it offloads the fortress and does essentially the same thing it does when you abandon the site (although I'm skipping a few of Rumrusher's steps, for now); so I don't have to deal with back-up saves and copypasta this way.

Some research observations:
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
« Last Edit: February 07, 2012, 10:51:46 pm by Spish »

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #597 on: February 06, 2012, 08:19:47 pm »

Wow, that's actually really nice data. Someone should make sure it's all available on the wiki, because that could affect a lot of design decisions for succession games like this, or normal single-player play.

Also, I found a tiny, tiny volcanic island on the world I genned recently that fits within a 13x12 area. My poor RAM can't handle it all, though. :c

I blame the huge number of z-levels from the volcano...
« Last Edit: February 06, 2012, 08:34:03 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #598 on: February 07, 2012, 01:37:58 am »

what do you think of feasibility of everyone using a 2x2 embark instead of standard? Could that cut down enough to make a difference?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
« Reply #599 on: February 07, 2012, 01:53:59 am »

I like that idea.

Though... wouldn't all the npc humans die after a couple forts?
Pages: 1 ... 38 39 [40] 41 42 ... 54