Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64168 times)

Rose

• Bay Watcher
  • Resident Elf
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #570 on: February 03, 2012, 04:12:24 am »

I want in.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
  • Listen to my album at www.oldschoolpoindexter.com
    • View Profile
« Reply #571 on: February 03, 2012, 04:59:19 am »

and once more. Only 5 slots left.
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Deadmeat1471

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #572 on: February 03, 2012, 05:19:01 am »

Count me in guys!

Oliolli

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:unlikeability]
    • View Profile
« Reply #573 on: February 03, 2012, 07:49:36 am »

No reason to stop taking applicants. Let them wait two years before they get to play, it'll be fun!

Quote from: Girlinhat
When all you've got is an adjustable spanner and an entire freight warehouse of terrifying cogs and gears, everything looks like "just a prototype".
Quote from: ThatAussieGuy
You all turned Swordthunders into a bastion of madness that seems to warp in on itself under its own hatred of sanity.  I'm so happy!
Quote from: Loud Whispers
drowning babies everywhere o-o

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #574 on: February 03, 2012, 10:10:06 am »

Another thing I noticed. I did about 12 (huge) embarks on the prototypes trying to find an Upright Adamantine weapon. Not a single one. But in the pocket world, every single embark I've checked out has one. I wager that Curious Underground Structures only appear on the third underground layer; and since our prototypes technically have no third layer, there will never be circus tents. We should raise it to 3 layers and test this theory.

Anyway, so beginneth the saga of...

Romancewhipped. Of course. The RNG has spoken!
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #575 on: February 03, 2012, 04:55:05 pm »

Yeah, I can confirm those results. Can't fibnd any curious structures in any areas. with 12x16+4x16 embarks, no less.

Poor GIH will have to deal with a full three cavern layers :D
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #576 on: February 03, 2012, 05:07:52 pm »

Yeah, I can confirm those results. Can't fibnd any curious structures in any areas. with 12x16+4x16 embarks, no less.

Poor GIH will have to deal with a full three cavern layers :D

is there one of those neeto pause and zoom announcements when you find a curious underground structure?
Life (in dwarf fortress) is a cocophany of flavours, each more succulent than the last - why not sample them all?!

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #577 on: February 03, 2012, 05:20:15 pm »

Should be, yeah. I used DFreveal but didn't unpause for fear my computer would asplode, but that's worth a shot.

And that would be far faster and more efficient than searching the units list for undead and actually searching the underground terrain by eye. I'll look into a few more of them, and see if it ever comes up.

Yeah, it's not giving me any of those messages. It appears that the current setup is preventing any curious structures from forming.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Crustypeanut

• Bay Watcher
  • Ph.Dwarf & Practitioner of ‼MEDICINE‼
    • View Profile
« Reply #578 on: February 03, 2012, 05:33:05 pm »

Count me in, despite the extremely long wait and the likelyhood of me forgetting about this entirely in a few months due to my turn being so far down the road.
Specialsurprise - a Tale of ‼Medicine‼ and ‼Science‼ !

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #579 on: February 03, 2012, 09:57:10 pm »

Count me in, despite the extremely long wait and the likelyhood of me forgetting about this entirely in a few months due to my turn being so far down the road.

Whoever is responsible for managing the passage of the save (and it needn't be the same person for the entire project) should PM people at least a turn or two ahead of when they are scheduled. That should be plenty of time for any active/semi-active member to respond.

No reason to stop taking applicants. Let them wait two years before they get to play, it'll be fun!

Agreed. The finished product (if, indeed, it is ever truly "finished") will be a monstrosity, the depths of which could not possibly be explored by a single player. So long as the most current save is consistently made available to the community, there will be no need to ever stop the project, except for lack of interest or management.

As far as checking saves once they are uploaded - this seems like a good idea, but in reality it will probably serve to slow the project down, more than anything else. Besides, placing/leaving cage traps in your fortress only serves to discourage adventurers from exploring the site that you have painstakingly contributed. I would simply advise all players involved with the project to avoid use of cage traps entirely, lest you forget to remove them and end up wasting your turn.

If removing the lowest cavern layer is preventing the presence of curious structures, then we need to keep it in. Although, this (as well as all our other concerns) will need to be retested once the new version is released. I suspect that there will be a week or two after the release before we even begin with the first turns.
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #580 on: February 03, 2012, 10:02:39 pm »

Whoever is responsible for managing the passage of the save (and it needn't be the same person for the entire project) should PM people at least a turn or two ahead of when they are scheduled. That should be plenty of time for any active/semi-active member to respond.

Agreed. The finished product (if, indeed, it is ever truly "finished") will be a monstrosity, the depths of which could not possibly be explored by a single player. So long as the most current save is consistently made available to the community, there will be no need to ever stop the project, except for lack of interest or management.

As far as checking saves once they are uploaded - this seems like a good idea, but in reality it will probably serve to slow the project down, more than anything else. Besides, placing/leaving cage traps in your fortress only serves to discourage adventurers from exploring the site that you have painstakingly contributed. I would simply advise all players involved with the project to avoid use of cage traps entirely, lest you forget to remove them and end up wasting your turn.

If removing the lowest cavern layer is preventing the presence of curious structures, then we need to keep it in. Although, this (as well as all our other concerns) will need to be retested once the new version is released. I suspect that there will be a week or two after the release before we even begin with the first turns.
yeah, we should wait till they iron out some bugs
EDIT: updated turn list.
« Last Edit: February 03, 2012, 10:22:34 pm by Poindexterity »

Poindexterity

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #581 on: February 03, 2012, 10:22:58 pm »

also, who's got the test save now?

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #582 on: February 03, 2012, 11:14:34 pm »

^ Oi. I expect to be done by 8:00 in the mornin' at the earliest (Edit: Scratch that, I need some freakin' sleep). Unless you're willing to offer an extension since there's no one behind me in line ;D

I know the undead in the circus tent start sending out attack waves when you discover the place. I wonder if retiring the fortress afterwards scatters them around the map; guess we're about to find out.

The dfmode/mode command seems totally busted in the current DFhack. All it does is tell you what mode you're playing (as if you need to know). No way to interact with it as far as I can tell. (And their version of DFusion seems really out of date. The advanced tool menu doesn't even open properly.)
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 06:04:18 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

DS

• Bay Watcher
  • DS cancels Attend Party: no floor space.
    • View Profile
« Reply #583 on: February 04, 2012, 12:44:38 am »

The command you're looking for is "mode set."
Finished: Weatherwires, the Last Mountainhome. A tragic mix of Children of Men, City of Ember, and, uh, magma.
Stymied: Correspondence from Syrupurns, a prematurely ended narrative, told through annual updates.
In Progress: Roomcarnage, a fortress clinging to life beneath a haunted glacier.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #584 on: February 04, 2012, 10:12:49 am »

The issues with the ogres and caverns are being dealt with summarily. I'm contemplating GIH's suggestion about a material that will break down at the temperature of a floor overlaying magma, to be used in display cases to hold artifacts or other highly valuable treasures.

The raws for the dispaly case shall be shamelessly stolen from genesis mod's raws. :P
But, instead it will be a 'display pedestal,' requiring only the magma-unsafe stone and any artifact.

Anybody know the mason's shop's ID to use in the [BUILDING:x:NONE] string in reactions? Should it just be done at the kiln?
« Last Edit: February 04, 2012, 10:35:43 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 37 38 [39] 40 41 ... 54