Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64206 times)

A Spoony Bard

• Bay Watcher
  • [MANNERISM:lute]
    • View Profile
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #225 on: January 11, 2012, 04:42:24 pm »

Well, I know what my fort will be like...
But I have three questions...
1: Levers can be activated in Adventure Mode, Right?
2: If I contain many dwarves behind a floodgate, will they get out if the site is reloaded?
3: How do you use DFhack and the Mode option to make your fort a settlement?

Rainseeker

• Bay Watcher
  • Listening to Toady make trumpet sounds since 2009!
    • View Profile
    • Rattown Stories
« Reply #226 on: January 11, 2012, 06:02:19 pm »

Well, I know what my fort will be like...
But I have three questions...
1: Levers can be activated in Adventure Mode, Right?
2: If I contain many dwarves behind a floodgate, will they get out if the site is reloaded?

Adventurer:   Finally, arriving at Spoonybard Fortress!  Hm, there's nobody around.  Oh, look!  A lever.  It must be the doorbell.  Let's pull it!  I suppose while I'm waiting I should see what the pamphlet says about this place.
Pamphlet:  "Spoonybard Fortress" is a quaint fortress community in the mountains of Thunderruns near the brook Omenapple. While visiting there guests may be pleased to watch the annual "Trolling of the Adventurer," where the contents of the completely flooded fortress are poured upon a hapless adventurer from the front gate, drowned bodies and all.
Adventurer:  Aww, crap.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 06:04:02 pm by Rainseeker »
Rainseeker writes comics!  http://rattownstories.com

Also, forum profile for said comic:  http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=78817.0

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #227 on: January 11, 2012, 07:09:35 pm »

You follow rumrusher's second set of instructions, and when using df mode, just type c (to cahnge modes) and then 1-enter-1-enter, which selects adventure mode. Then just give in to starvation in the exit menu that you had open the entire time to avoid unforseen consequences of not following instructions. :P

Spoiler: A lot of words (click to show/hide)

Acknowledged. Trying to figure out what's up with the temperatures. perfect world can't affect temperatures directly, but I did use the temperature frequency mesh option to set it to 32x32, 5, 1, 5, 1, 5. I thought it would just distribute them normally but with a higher percentage of hot, cold, and moderate. Unfortunately it seems to have just tossed 32x32 squares out over the surface with those ratios of temperatures. I removed that from world gen so I have no clue what it's problem is now.

In other news, I used the volcanism mesh weights for the next gen. I'll post that save and a picture soon.

prototype #4: http://dffd.wimbli.com/file.php?id=5342

Picture!
http://img195.imageshack.us/img195/4443/worldmapregion528410081.png

Humorously, a volcano cropped up right in the middle of that canal connecting the ocean to the tiny inland sea, seperating the two.
« Last Edit: January 11, 2012, 09:01:21 pm by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #228 on: January 11, 2012, 09:00:07 pm »

I'm in. Considering the list is that long, however, it may take just little bit of time to get to my turn.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #229 on: January 11, 2012, 09:18:47 pm »

Indeed. 34 potential players (doubtless someone will drop out/need to be skipped)

Turn list:

1)   Poindexterity
2)   Girlinhat
3)   Loud Whispers
4)   Di
5)   Kassil
6)   Spish
7)   starshard0
8)   Oliolli
9)   DS
10)   Babylon
11)   Armeleon
12)   A Spoony Bard
13)   Eric Blank (13 again! Woo!)
14)   Greatorder
15)   Vattic?
16)   clockout1
17)   ayoriceball
18)   Masta Crouton?
19)   Ghills
20)   Wannazzaki?
21)   DwarvenScience
22)   Rainseeker
23)   Cellmonk
24)   Lexx
25)   Monkeyfacedprickleback
26)   Pranz
27)   TomIrony
28)   Gizogin
29)   Vodrilus
30)   Shmadolf shmitler
31)   Elifre
32)   Scriabin
33)   Terra_Inc
34)   Epithemius
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

clockout1

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #230 on: January 11, 2012, 09:23:08 pm »

I counted, and with 34 people, this will take around nine months. I'm hoping the list shrinks. :3
*insert witty signature here*

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #231 on: January 11, 2012, 09:35:36 pm »

I counted, and with 34 people, this will take around nine months. I'm hoping the list shrinks. :3
This is a child. you can't rush a child.
Though dwarven daycare would work better if gestation was less than nine months...

You know what? Its dwarfy to rip a child in the zygote stage out of its mother, and grow it a vat full of carp.

LETS DO THIS!

(If it is going to take nine months, I think we might want to start AFTER the next release, rather than before, seeing how close it is. It will make my plans to do an zombie frozen mountain fort more !!FUN!!. Current terrifying isn't quite... interesting.. enough to be worth it. And next release is much more interesting for adventurers)

Ghills

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #232 on: January 11, 2012, 09:37:08 pm »

Wow. This really expanded since I saw it last.

I'm all in favor of pulling out MAXAGE after world gen.

Also, that's really a lot of people.  I'm happy to either have shorter turns or multiple worlds so we don't leave people to wait for months and months.

If it is going to take nine months, I think we might want to start AFTER the next release, rather than before, seeing how close it is. It will make my plans to do an zombie frozen mountain fort more !!FUN!!. Current terrifying isn't quite... interesting.. enough to be worth it. And next release is much more interesting for adventurers)

It's already been decided that we're waiting for the next release.
I AM POINTY DEATH INCARNATE
Ye know, being an usurper overseer gone mad with power isn't too bad. It's honestly not that different from being a normal overseer.
To summarize:
They do an epic face. If that fails, they beat said object to death with their beard.

Epithemius

• Bay Watcher
  • [AFTERTHOUGHT:100]
    • View Profile
« Reply #233 on: January 11, 2012, 09:42:29 pm »

I was even LOOKING at it right after the second post, and thought, "Hey, this looks like it could be fun. I'll sign up a bit later though."
 ::)

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #234 on: January 11, 2012, 09:55:37 pm »

Wow. Leave for a few days and threads explode. I just spent an hour reading this.  And it Looks like I'm number eleven! great! Only about a month to wait.  I love the suggestions for world-gen that have been suggested already. I will get behind whatever you guys dream up.

I figured someone should also get a list of materials needed for Overseers--what they need to create, etc.  Here's what I've seen so far:

• Fort Description (Optional)
  • In-Character Journal (Optional)
  • Bestiary (Description of the Beasts an overseer has run into and/or killed)
  • List of Artifacts/Collectible Item (Implied)

A few additional items that I usually put my Dwarf Info files are Dwarf Descriptions & Lineage, Battle Transcripts, Timeline (usually year-to-year calendar detailing attacks, parties, strange moods, migrants, etc.), and a basic structure sketch.

I also thought it might be cool if we could attach fortress maps and link them up to a world map.  I usually do this with my forts as well, and it only takes about an hour to gen up a good map for the fortress (less if you could somehow export a height .bmp instead of hand-drawing it), and a few hours to create a decent world map.  This is what I had in mind (the file depot's down otherwise I'd put a map of the actual world we're using):
Spoiler: local map (click to show/hide)

They would be finished, not these partial images I have, and we'd probably have a physical one as well.  Think we could pull it off?
Playing since 2007

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #235 on: January 11, 2012, 10:01:26 pm »

Wow. Leave for a few days and threads explode. I just spent an hour reading this.  And it Looks like I'm number eleven! great! Only about a month to wait.  I love the suggestions for world-gen that have been suggested already. I will get behind whatever you guys dream up.

I figured someone should also get a list of materials needed for Overseers--what they need to create, etc.  Here's what I've seen so far:

• Fort Description (Optional)
  • In-Character Journal (Optional)
  • Bestiary (Description of the Beasts an overseer has run into and/or killed)
  • List of Artifacts/Collectible Item (Implied)

A few additional items that I usually put my Dwarf Info files are Dwarf Descriptions & Lineage, Battle Transcripts, Timeline (usually year-to-year calendar detailing attacks, parties, strange moods, migrants, etc.), and a basic structure sketch.

I also thought it might be cool if we could attach fortress maps and link them up to a world map.  I usually do this with my forts as well, and it only takes about an hour to gen up a good map for the fortress (less if you could somehow export a height .bmp instead of hand-drawing it), and a few hours to create a decent world map.  This is what I had in mind (the file depot's down otherwise I'd put a map of the actual world we're using):
Spoiler: local map (click to show/hide)

They would be finished, not these partial images I have, and we'd probably have a physical one as well.  Think we could pull it off?

Oh hell yeah!
great idea, applying political maps etc. I had seen the program that did that before, but i didn't connect the dots.

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #236 on: January 11, 2012, 10:03:02 pm »

I had seen the program that did that before, but i didn't connect the dots.

There's a program that does this? Where is it? That would make things a lot simpler
Playing since 2007

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #237 on: January 11, 2012, 10:05:38 pm »

There's a program that does this? Where is it? That would make things a lot simpler

I think this is the post for it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0

Armeleon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #238 on: January 11, 2012, 10:07:53 pm »

I think this is the post for it: http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=72702.0

Oh. I used that one. I thought you meant one that actually created decent-looking maps from the data. But you're right. It's a great tool. It helps you realize which sites are still active, which are trade hubs, and stuff like that. It's Just a little incomplete until Toady finishes the XML dump.
Playing since 2007

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #239 on: January 12, 2012, 12:13:09 am »

A (global) bestiary of all the night creatures, titans, and other beasts could be fun. I suppose we could also include the mundane wildlife, and list the biomes that we've encountered them in.

Actually, that would be very good science. I've heard next to nothing about how DF distributes wildlife, and have been infuriated by the way the creatures from my mods either never seem to show up, or are inexplicably everywhere when I really wanted them to be rare. (Lesser dragons... Can't seem to keep them under control...)

Also, I wouldn't want overseers to be bogged down with having to write about their fortress during their turn, but if they feel like writing updates (very cool) or providing some info about the non-trap-corridor sections and artifacts then it would be wonderful.
I make Spellcrafts!
Pages: 1 ... 14 15 [16] 17 18 ... 54