Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64189 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #240 on: January 12, 2012, 12:30:40 am »

A (global) bestiary of all the night creatures, titans, and other beasts could be fun. I suppose we could also include the mundane wildlife, and list the biomes that we've encountered them in.

I could totally go on a night creature spotting rampage. I assume I would have to leave them alive for other gung ho adventurers to !!SCIENCE!! the crap out of them?

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #241 on: January 12, 2012, 01:52:51 am »

Quote from: Eric Blank
Spoiler: "EB's Player List" (click to show/hide)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98593.msg2897099#msg2897099
^ My entrance request, just before Terra_Inc's.
Please don't forget me just because I'm a forum newbie! :(
(Grabs avatar to make posts more visible).

Quote from: Loud Whispers
I could totally go on a night creature spotting rampage. I assume I would have to leave them alive for other gung ho adventurers to !!SCIENCE!! the crap out of them?
Well, I don't think you're going to be passing along your post-adventure file, so you should be fine if you "accidentally" lop off a few Night Creature Child heads.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #242 on: January 12, 2012, 02:16:41 am »

Well, I don't think you're going to be passing along your post-adventure file, so you should be fine if you "accidentally" lop off a few Night Creature Child heads.

The lulz to be had when you find every night creature has no legs :D

Magma Mater

• Bay Watcher
  • Stray Cat cancels hunt vermin: seeking infant.
    • View Profile
« Reply #243 on: January 12, 2012, 02:26:37 am »

The lulz to be had when you find every night creature has no legs :D
That gives me a wonderful idea for training my next archery squad....

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #244 on: January 12, 2012, 04:26:40 am »

Quote from: Eric Blank
Spoiler: "EB's Player List" (click to show/hide)
http://www.bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=98593.msg2897099#msg2897099
^ My entrance request, just before Terra_Inc's.
Please don't forget me just because I'm a forum newbie! :(
(Grabs avatar to make posts more visible).

Sorry about that, didn't notice.

Added.
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #245 on: January 12, 2012, 04:35:54 pm »

The world is looking better and better. But although there seems to more sedimentary layer and a larger variety of rocks and minerals, flux is just as rare (if not rarer) and I've yet to do a single embark (on either prototype) that has any kind of flux that's not metamorphic marble (I might've seen chalk on a remote desert island). Looks like we might have to settle for iron.

Good point. I vote for the latter option (remove MAXAGE tag from sentient species after worldgen), since that seems to be the simplest workaround.
What about named animals and pets? May as well be thorough.

Nah dude, I totally want an epic travelling nature show host companion.
Maybe we could allow every player to introduce 1 adventurer per turn (should they have time to devote to it after finishing their fortress), but limit the number of allowed notable kills to 5; so they can train their skills, gear up, and kill just enough to earn themselves a title. Odds are most of what they kill will be low-life bandits, goblin raiders, and kobold thieves; which are extremely common, especially in a large world like this.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 07:03:26 pm by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Pranz

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #246 on: January 12, 2012, 05:01:58 pm »

Since we all can't plan 20+ weeks ahead, we should also have some rules about how short a notice you should give if you wan't to drop back one step on the list. this probably isn't much of a problem, but atleast two weeks before the time your original turn was planned would be nice?

EDIT: I think this is really important, that everyone exports a local map of their settlement. We could make a program (I can, altough i can't gaurantee quality) where the user sees the world map and can click on any place where information about the place and the local map shows. Only forts would have local maps but we could add a hell lot of trivia from adventurers logs about everything, like a mountain or city. At first, i thought the optimal situation would be to take the map when the fort were having good times, but a picture of a siege or a horrible "accident" involving lots of magma could make great scenes and make it all more dramatic.

Also, concerning dual worlds. I have mixed feelings about this. When i'm thinking about this world i see the craziest world ever made, hundreds of logs from adventurers and overseers, still thousands of beasts and places to discover. Fan fiction and art about the grand piece bay12 forums made. I don't know if it's possible to split this up.
Then again, those waiting times... My school semester will end before i'll take my turn :P
« Last Edit: January 12, 2012, 05:16:45 pm by Pranz »
DF Valentine
I punched a hamsterwoman in the mouth and her teeth exploded out of his head like gory shrapnel and littered the ground. Happy Valentines Day.

Terra_Inc

• Bay Watcher
  • insanity++;
    • View Profile
« Reply #247 on: January 12, 2012, 05:20:20 pm »

Also, concerning dual worlds. I have mixed feelings about this. When i'm thinking about this world i see the craziest world ever made, hundreds of logs from adventurers and overseers, still thousands of beasts and places to discover. Fan fiction and art about the grand piece bay12 forums made. I don't know if it's possible to split this up.

This. Honestly, the more awesomeness the better.  :)
Men of broader intellect know that there is no sharp distinction betwixt the real and the unreal...

~HPL~

Gizogin

• Bay Watcher
  • [EVIL][RAWMANCER]
    • View Profile
« Reply #248 on: January 12, 2012, 06:30:04 pm »

I'm in favor of sticking to just the one world.  Regarding the MAXAGE thing (and other things, now that I think about it), we should probably do some testing after the new release comes out.  I remember seeing some stuff about the next release handling historical figures better, so it might end up not being necessary.
Quote from: franti
"Let's expose our military to zombie-dust so they can't feel pain. They don't NEED skin."
Quote from: Ipwnurmom221
One FB post. Many dick jokes. Pokemon. !!VOLCANO!!. Dwarven mood thingee. Derailment itself. Girlinhat's hat. Cuba. Karl Marx. This is why i love Bay12 forums.
The rest of my sig.
Fear the fluffballs

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #249 on: January 12, 2012, 08:58:22 pm »

I agree with the single-world sentiment. Community games take forever anyway; it's the updates that make them fun to read and play!

Also, even though the next release will probably handle historical figures better, I didn't catch anything about it continuing to generate and manage the population after world gen ends, so I still suspect that a dead king/whoever won't be replaced...

Also, as for your concerns about flux levels, Spish; not quite sure what to do. You can increase the chances by including more low-volcanism areas, but other than that I'm not sure what will force more sedimentary layers. And then, only 3 out of 11 sedimentary stone types are actually flux stone, so it's still possible to have sites with no flux at all...
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #250 on: January 12, 2012, 09:20:53 pm »

I agree with the single-world sentiment. Community games take forever anyway; it's the updates that make them fun to read and play!

Also, even though the next release will probably handle historical figures better, I didn't catch anything about it continuing to generate and manage the population after world gen ends, so I still suspect that a dead king/whoever won't be replaced...

Also, as for your concerns about flux levels, Spish; not quite sure what to do. You can increase the chances by including more low-volcanism areas, but other than that I'm not sure what will force more sedimentary layers. And then, only 3 out of 11 sedimentary stone types are actually flux stone, so it's still possible to have sites with no flux at all...

I hear that potash has historically been used as a flux material. We could make a steel reaction which uses potash bars instead of a flux stone, but also requires more coal (for balancing). Thus, flux would be attainable everywhere, but still somewhat hard to get, as one would need to do a lot of tree farming to get a sustainable industry going.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #251 on: January 12, 2012, 09:59:32 pm »

Hmm yes that would work as far as game mechanics and I think it would also be acceptable use of modding. A use for a material already present in the game that dwarves would likely be both able and willing to use.

I'll vouch for it. We'll always have the option to import flux material, but if potash makes a decent flux and we have potash, then let there be steel!
I make Spellcrafts!

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #252 on: January 12, 2012, 10:27:28 pm »

I did a little bit more research on potash. It seems that  it has never been used for steel production, rather as flux in glass (as it is in vanilla). But it doesn't seem that applying it to steel is much of a stretch, as it is possible that humans never used it in steel because of the usefulness and price of the wood from which it is derived, and the commonness of limestone and dolomite in nature. On the other hand, it is possible that Potassium carbonate is somehow unfit for high temperature steel production.

I don't think it should break immersion too much to have the technomagic savy dwarves using what might be a low temperature flux for high temperature application. But just putting some research out there.

Clockwise Onions

• Bay Watcher
  • Adequate Engraver
    • View Profile
« Reply #253 on: January 13, 2012, 12:57:57 am »

This whole idea sounds very interesting. I don't mind waiting a long time for a fort; count me in.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #254 on: January 13, 2012, 01:37:19 am »

Let's wait and see, a lot of people have been complaining about the rarity of iron ores and sedimentary flux in the recent version.

So I finally went and downloaded DFhack, started using the prospect+reveal tools to check out the sites, and I'm kicking myself for doing all my experiments the hard way. Turns out marble is literally everywhere (even if the embark doesn't indicate available flux), you just have to look really hard for it most of the time (often as deep as the bottom of the magma sea).

Checking out legends, it would seem that, due to the high beastcount, all the cool historical figures are getting slaughtered instantly. Hopefully that gets toned down a bit in the next version, so we can at least get a few surviving legendary badasses.

Can't think of anything else to add, although I would like it if the entire huge, arid, deserty region in the west had lower drainage and higher savagery (gotta have the giant scorpions), and the northern ocean savage areas for sea serpents. Not much left to do now but wait for the next release.
« Last Edit: January 13, 2012, 03:38:54 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.
Pages: 1 ... 15 16 [17] 18 19 ... 54