Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54

Author Topic: Got a neeto idea (want in?)  (Read 64186 times)

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
Re: Got a neeto idea (want in?)
« Reply #150 on: January 09, 2012, 11:48:42 pm »

^ Let's not get carried away. Don't forget that beasts slaughter notable figures with impunity, and can even wipe out entire civilizations in large numbers. I say 50 titans, 60 megas, 75 night creatures, 100 demons, and 200+ semimegas, and see how many people are left alive after worldgen before we pass judgement.

As for cave settings, I don't see why we should change them. More variety is always a good thing.

I play with those settings, and it's absolutely fine! I also set the starting civ number to 100... That might help a bit. Makes for a lovely legends/adventure mode.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
  • You might find it, whatever it is.
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: January 09, 2012, 11:50:15 pm »

The command is "mode set." I had that same problem.

Oh man. I'm so happy. It worked! This is so going to be used alot.

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: January 10, 2012, 12:41:45 am »

I play with those settings, and it's absolutely fine! I also set the starting civ number to 100... That might help a bit. Makes for a lovely legends/adventure mode.
It also leads to a completely absurd amount of entities, making legends a bit of a pain to read.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 12:53:07 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: January 10, 2012, 12:46:37 am »

It also leads to a completely absurd amount of related entities, making legends a pain to read.

I think we could strike a balance at 101 titans, 101 megas, 101 night creatures, 101 demons, and 303 semimegas

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: January 10, 2012, 01:11:37 am »

The night creature and demon counts are counting the number of species, not individuals. The default is 54 for both, which is plenty of things to worry about.  So much so that I vote we should make our own special bestiary to be uploaded with the save and include any information we know about them. :P

As for the other creatures, I would say 150 titans, 300 megabeasts, and 600 semi-megabeasts gives us a good population of things to slay. Default mega and semi-megabeast populations are 75, 150 and titans is 33. I've never run out of monsters to slay before, but a fort can collect a vast number of stacks of titan meat in a few years.

What should the beast/titan attack requirements be? Default is a little high and many of us would never get to see one on our turns.

I'm going to attach this to every few posts in thsi thread from now on, because it's actually quite easy to miss it.

Remember to vote on mineral scarcity, or you might just have to suck it up for whatever the rest of us want. Read this post if you missed it.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 01:16:41 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: January 10, 2012, 01:20:33 am »

The night creature and demon counts are counting the number of species, not individuals. The default is 54 for both, which is plenty of things to worry about.  So much so that I vote we should make our own special bestiary to be uploaded with the save and include any information we know about them. :P

As for the other creatures, I would say 150 titans, 300 megabeasts, and 600 semi-megabeasts gives us a good population of things to slay. Default mega and semi-megabeast populations are 75, 150 and titans is 33. I've never run out of monsters to slay before, but a fort can collect a vast number of stacks of titan meat in a few years.

What should the beast/titan attack requirements be? Default is a little high and many of us would never get to see one on our turns.

I'm going to attach this to every few posts in thsi thread from now on, because it's actually quite easy to miss it.

Remember to vote on mineral scarcity, or you might just have to suck it up for whatever the rest of us want. Read this post if you missed it.

I think your numbers are quite reasonable. I just raise the number demon types because I heard that increases the amount that escape hell.

so: 150 titans, 300 megabeasts, and 600 semi-megabeasts. I like it. What size world is this for, again?

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: January 10, 2012, 01:37:00 am »

Large. Plenty of space for civilization, dwarf fortresses, and walking horrors that want to destroy it all.

Speaking of, I've done the requests for Spish and Kassil (Kinda. Hope you guys like some wonky terrain with spires of rock sticking up for no logical reason.)

Voclanoes are laible to appear all over the place. 20% of the map is above the threshhold for volcanoes, and 35% has no volcanism whatsoever. They intermix liberally.

Spoiler: Elevation Profile (click to show/hide)

Spish, there is a huge area for you to take advantage of along the north coast of the mainland, on the north edge of that good mountain range. That desert should have plenty of utterly confusing lengths of rock.

To the south of that mountain range, between it and the next mountain range southward, and west of the little inland sea with the island, where there is currently an elf retreat, there is a vast field of tall spires of rock, including heavy volcanism.

Saddly, erosion hit this world hard. Very hilly, but not cliffy. Except the mountains around the secluded mountain lakes. THOSE cliffs are awe-inspiring!

Awesomely enough, that world's name was The Legend-Realm of Tempests.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 02:21:50 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!
I have no idea where anything is. I have no idea what anything does. This is not merely a madhouse designed by a madman, but a madhouse designed by many madmen, each with an intense hatred for the previous madman's unique flavour of madness.

Loud Whispers

• Bay Watcher
  • They said we have to aim higher, so we dug deeper.
    • View Profile
    • I APPLAUD YOU SIRRAH
« Reply #157 on: January 10, 2012, 02:19:00 am »

Terrifying deserts...

Love it :D

Cellmonk

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: January 10, 2012, 02:25:23 am »

Oh my goawd its so beautiful
*single tear

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: January 10, 2012, 02:56:49 am »

^ This isn't the final world, we'll have to generate anew once the DF release hits.

Looks pretty fantastic overall. I'm trying to find something to criticize but I'm having a hard time. I especially like those secluded lake valleys (bonus points if you can get civilizations in there), I'd like to know how you pulled off the massive lakes. And the cliff+terrifying glacier border is perfect. I still think the small sea should be its own biome, without killing the canal, somehow.

There must be some factor that goes into making deserts sandy though, as it seems pretty consistent from the initial prototype in that regard (the grand majority of them are rocky wastelands, and the sandy is in the same place). I'm still relatively undecided on what kinda embark I'll be doing at this point (although, I must say I'm warming up to the idea of a scorching hot volcano-desert embark, something I've never done before).

I already voted on the mineral scarcity, you musta missed it (it was for #4) . Looks like #2 is gonna win anyway... you bunch of elfs.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:12:47 am by Spish »
Ah, yes, I thought something was amiss. Now I see. There's not enough terrible things in the lakes.

Eric Blank

• Bay Watcher
  • *Remain calm*
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: January 10, 2012, 03:21:59 am »

I'd like to know how you pulled off the massive lakes.

I already voted on the mineral scarcity, you musta missed it (it was for #4) . Looks like #2 is gonna win anyway... you bunch of elfs.

I honestly don't know exactly what it is that causes massive mountain lakes (and islands, almost always) to be generated, but It almost certainly demands a high rainfall. Perfect World's generated drainage profile gives mountains extremely high drainage automatically, but I did force them to have areas of very high rainfall along the borders of the map high in the mountains.

Yoor vote has now been tallied. I honestly did not see it. It doesn't help that a few of them are discretely hidden in the body of the post. :P

A big damn ALSO:
Upon reading the community reclaim of swordthunders thread some more, I came to the startling realization that it's entirely possible for this succession world to drive every last dwarf civ to extinction if the world gen is short and the number of initial civilizations is low. Thoughts? :P
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 03:42:58 am by Eric Blank »
I make Spellcrafts!

Spish

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: January 10, 2012, 04:07:08 am »

Somewhere in between 250 and 600 years would be good. Anything shorter than that and the world won't have much of a history. More civilizations is fine. I don't think we should have too many of them dividing up the civs our community-made fortresses are involved with. As I stated earlier, set the site/population caps to -1.
Edit: Actually, I think exhausting the dwarf population should be one of our long-term goals ;D

Looking more closely at the world, the cold areas seem to be overpowering the warm a bit. Looks like there's glaciers in the northern half.
« Last Edit: January 10, 2012, 04:49:13 am by Spish »

DwarvenScience

• Bay Watcher
  • Novice Surgeon, Legendary Consoler
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: January 10, 2012, 04:12:27 am »

A big damn ALSO:
Upon reading the community reclaim of swordthunders thread some more, I came to the startling realization that it's entirely possible for this succession world to drive every last dwarf civ to extinction if the world gen is short and the number of initial civilizations is low. Thoughts? :P

can we set the number of starting civs higher?

also the map looks great I am intrigued by the mountain lakes, giving me ideas!
Give a dwarf a fire and he is warm for the night
Light a dwarf on fire and he is warm for the rest of his life

Monkeyfacedprickleback

• Bay Watcher
  • Sweet flaming monkey fire WHY are they doing that?
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: January 10, 2012, 04:40:43 am »

Oooh I want in.

Mineral Scarsity poll: [2]

I like having lots of ores so I can make natural mines.
I only dig out ores and economic stones, leaving junk stone alone as much as possible; so rather then straight hallways I have wide dug out veins housing workshops and stock piles. With High minerals you often get criscrosing passages, and a rather maze like structure.

Kibstable

• Bay Watcher
  • We didn't start the fire...
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: January 10, 2012, 06:21:24 am »

Will the DFHack idea work on the next version of DF?  That might require an early testing.
Pages: 1 ... 9 10 [11] 12 13 ... 54