Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958920 times)

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7755 on: February 09, 2014, 10:21:44 pm »

Oh.

Nope. It was specifically stated to be running out of video memory.

Armokdammit.
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7756 on: February 09, 2014, 10:34:16 pm »

So I've been thinking. Chryssalids. Love em, but during late game they stop being scary. They need something...more. There should be an Elite Chryssalid. Thoughts? I've mostly only been able to come up with ideas for the Elite Zombie (grows chitinous plates, can cocoon at low health to raise the odds of a successful hatching, can produce a normal Chryssalid even if killed). Unfortunately, I don't have much for the Elite Chryssalid itself. They're insectoid, so...wings? Explosive death?

The other missing niche is Elite Thinmen, but that one is obvious (Snakemen).
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7757 on: February 09, 2014, 10:37:08 pm »

Cyber cryssalids?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

My Name is Immaterial

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7758 on: February 09, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »

Something like this would be best thing.

Culise

• Bay Watcher
  • General Nuisance
    • View Profile
« Reply #7759 on: February 09, 2014, 10:50:39 pm »

Cyber cryssalids?
Chryssalid + Floater = ♥

Though you'd have to make it able to move again after flying. 

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
  • Target locked. Firing main cannon.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7760 on: February 09, 2014, 10:51:43 pm »

So I've been thinking. Chryssalids. Love em, but during late game they stop being scary. They need something...more. There should be an Elite Chryssalid. Thoughts? I've mostly only been able to come up with ideas for the Elite Zombie (grows chitinous plates, can cocoon at low health to raise the odds of a successful hatching, can produce a normal Chryssalid even if killed). Unfortunately, I don't have much for the Elite Chryssalid itself. They're insectoid, so...wings? Explosive death?

The other missing niche is Elite Thinmen, but that one is obvious (Snakemen).
I don't know why you are having such a hard time coming up with upgrades for them.   Just go to sleep after playing nothing but snakeman terror missions for three hours.   You'll get ideas. 
Spoiler (click to show/hide)
Interdum feror cupidine partium magnarum circo vincendarum
W-we just... wanted our...
Actually most of the people here explicitly wanted chaos and tragedy. So. Uh.

EnigmaticHat

• Bay Watcher
  • I vibrate, I die, I vibrate again
    • View Profile
« Reply #7761 on: February 09, 2014, 10:52:43 pm »

I don't really like newcom cryssalids.  The oldcom threat of turning civilians into a horde of enemies made a lot more sense when they had to physically walk up and murder them.  Now an unrevealed pack can kill civilians anywhere on the map.  And all the fights involving them boil down to whether you have enough firepower to kill them in a single turn or not which is boring.

So I'm happy with where they are now, menacing and repulsive but not terribly dangerous in terms of gameplay.
"T-take this non-euclidean geometry, h-humanity-baka. I m-made it, but not because I l-li-l-like you or anything! I just felt s-sorry for you, b-baka."
You misspelled seance.  Are possessing Draignean?  Are you actually a ghost in the shell? You have to tell us if you are, that's the rule

Mech#4

• Bay Watcher
  • (ಠ_ృ) Like a sir.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7762 on: February 09, 2014, 10:59:48 pm »

Hopefully more thrilling though, that movie was rather boring, can't even remember much of it.

I'd like if the chryssalids had things like air-ducts to move through, or they could break down thin walls at the cost of half their movement. Walking up walls and on ceilings?

Maybe the aliens could send them in like the headcrab capsules. Launching them in from afar onto random spots on the map.
Kaypy:Adamantine in a poorly defended fortress is the royal equivalent of an unclaimed sock on a battlefield.

Here's a thread listing Let's Players found on the internet. Feel free to add.
List of Notable Mods. Feel free to add.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7763 on: February 09, 2014, 11:04:02 pm »

Hopefully more thrilling though, that movie was rather boring, can't even remember much of it.

I'd like if the chryssalids had things like air-ducts to move through, or they could break down thin walls at the cost of half their movement. Walking up walls and on ceilings?

Maybe the aliens could send them in like the headcrab capsules. Launching them in from afar onto random spots on the map.
Or you could have this.   The only enemy would be chrysallids, and there are a large number of civilians.   All you'd have to do is get rid of the time delay for zombification, and the fishing town mission would look like a cake walk.   

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7764 on: February 09, 2014, 11:13:12 pm »

Or you could have this.   The only enemy would be chrysallids, and there are a large number of civilians.   All you'd have to do is get rid of the time delay for zombification, and the fishing town mission would look like a cake walk.

And make it the size of the cruise ship terror missions from TFTD.

60 civilians spread out across 4 stories of ~100x30 squares of tight passageways with say, 5 squads of chryssalids..
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Mephansteras

• Bay Watcher
  • Forger of Civilizations
    • View Profile
« Reply #7765 on: February 09, 2014, 11:14:55 pm »

I had a terror mission like that once. Wave after wave of Chryssalids and zombies. It was rather tense.
Civilization Forge Mod v2.80: Adding in new races, equipment, animals, plants, metals, etc. Now with Alchemy and Libraries! Variety to spice up DF! (For DF 0.34.10)
Come play Mafia with us!
"Let us maintain our chill composure." - Toady One

MetalSlimeHunt

• Bay Watcher
  • Gerrymander Commander
    • View Profile
« Reply #7766 on: February 09, 2014, 11:15:18 pm »

Hmm....you know, EXALT missions take place in supposedly covert conditions. That means there really should be civilians. I bet EXALT could do some interesting things with Chryssalid parts, Meld, and a total disregard for ethics.
Quote from: Thomas Paine
To argue with a man who has renounced the use and authority of reason, and whose philosophy consists in holding humanity in contempt, is like administering medicine to the dead, or endeavoring to convert an atheist by scripture.
No Gods, No Masters.

Lightningfalcon

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7767 on: February 09, 2014, 11:18:41 pm »

And make it the size of the cruise ship terror missions from TFTD.

60 civilians spread out across 4 stories of ~100x30 squares of tight passageways with say, 5 squads of chryssalids..
Having that many civilians would require, at the least, the ability to target civilians with your own weapons.   With only six soldiers you don't have the ability to keep an eye on them.   

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7768 on: February 09, 2014, 11:25:43 pm »

Thats the point  :P

But you would be able to rescue the civis just like in a normal terror mission to get them out of your way.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

Thexor

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7769 on: February 10, 2014, 01:45:12 am »

Hmm....you know, EXALT missions take place in supposedly covert conditions. That means there really should be civilians. I bet EXALT could do some interesting things with Chryssalid parts, Meld, and a total disregard for ethics.

I had one EXALT mission in that bombed-out military base map. "Yeah, sure, 'covert op'. That's why all the tanks have massive plasma holes in their sides, and the entire facility is on fire."
Pages: 1 ... 516 517 [518] 519 520 ... 625