Bay 12 Games Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 625

Author Topic: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)  (Read 958762 times)

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
  • OH NO, EVERYTHING'S DEAD!
    • View Profile
    • Derp
Re: XCOM: Enemy Unknown (New by Firaxis)
« Reply #7740 on: February 08, 2014, 06:57:05 pm »

The problem with Ethereals are easy to deal with is that they appear near alone, are the only of that species on the map, and are almost always found in certain locations.

Ignoring that butchered sentence, if there were multiple of them, which wandered around the map in a group or pair, and were not only found on UFO missions, then they'd be terrifying.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 08:17:43 pm by Mageziya »
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
  • Sane, by the local standards.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7741 on: February 08, 2014, 07:14:29 pm »

Don't they appear alongside elite muton guards?
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7742 on: February 08, 2014, 08:07:45 pm »

Don't they appear alongside elite muton guards?
Elite Muton Guards are a minor annoyance when you have plasma everything.

Sindain

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7743 on: February 08, 2014, 08:21:58 pm »

Not to mention you have your own psionics and elite mutons don't have very good will. Half the time the elite mutons just end up absorbing psionic lances for me.
"just once I'd like to learn a lesson without something exploding."

crazysheep

• Bay Watcher
  • [PREFSTRING:fluffy wool]
    • View Profile
« Reply #7744 on: February 09, 2014, 12:56:20 am »

Finished my first classic run without squad size upgrades on EU. It was tricky, to say the least, but worth it I guess.
"Don't be in such a hurry to grow up, for there's nothing a kid can't do."

Graknorke

• Bay Watcher
  • A bomb's a bad choice for close-range combat.
    • View Profile
« Reply #7745 on: February 09, 2014, 07:25:33 am »

So I have to ask, since I've never played an XCOM game before.
Which one do I buy? I know Enemy Unknown is the new remake, but is it better than the older ones? And if I do get EU, is it worth buying the Enemy Within DLC as well?
I know the thread's probably had dozens of posts like this, but I don't think I can skim 7000 posts.
Cultural status:
Depleted          ☐
Enriched          ☑

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7746 on: February 09, 2014, 07:36:23 am »

The game is well worth getting imo, same for the enemy within content. Can't comment on the previous games as I've never played them.

Silfurdreki

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7747 on: February 09, 2014, 08:25:19 am »

So, I think this is going to be an interesting UFO recovery...

Spoiler (click to show/hide)

Turns out it wasn't very interesting at all. Even less interesting was the code black on the terror mission that followed. Damn you, broken-highway-terror -map and your spawning all enemies in the back!
Entropy is not what it used to be.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7748 on: February 09, 2014, 09:53:22 am »

Turns out it wasn't very interesting at all. Even less interesting was the code black on the terror mission that followed. Damn you, broken-highway-terror -map and your spawning all enemies in the back!
That sounds...fun...
Sig
Are you a GM with players who haven't posted? TheDelinquent Players Help will have Bay12 give you an action!
[GreatWyrmGold] gets a little crown. May it forever be his mark of Cain; let no one argue pointless subjects with him lest they receive the same.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7749 on: February 09, 2014, 10:47:16 am »

I've had that happen before, but with a battleship. It made sense, battleships are so large that them sticking out of the water isn't too far fetched.

It also looks like the UFO landed roughly where the Marina Trench is. Maybe a bit north, but still.

Also, I suppose I shouldn't call my II run II. I've been using alt-f4 a bit, which is rather against the nature of Ironman. I've been mainly using it on: Unupgraded Interceptors vs. Large Scouts, Portent, and MEC deaths. Though I have had no deaths yet, so I suppose you can say its also for normal soldiers.

If it makes me feel better, a series of alien abductions came immediately after I had launched satellites, (6 days left is still too soon.) causing me to lose Brazil and South Africa, causing me to lose the continent bonuses I had just gained. I did, however, manage to use South America's bonus before I lost it.
Every dwarf, every dwarven man, women, and child, that comes to our forts will die there; it's truly sad when you think about it. And we ask our selves, why? Why do we push forward, knowing this fate, that we are destined for failure? Because, this game grasps the concept of mortality. Some games you can never lose, but we all stop eventually, causing a 'death' to those game's 'worlds'. Dwarf Fortress gives us a definite end, knowing that we will leave that world eventually, and move on to more.

Jelle

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7750 on: February 09, 2014, 02:52:59 pm »

Right so those first waves in the base defense mission was just the welcoming commitee. Sweet mother of mercy this mission is hard. Must've tried five times over just couldn't manage to not get overrun. This one really is the stuff of nightmares. Manage to take down the first sectoid commanders, the cyberdiscs with some difficulty and gone as far as take out 2 of the many incoming mechtoid. My poor agents just can't keep it up longer after that.
Guess I've learned my lesson, don't invade the alien base until you've got everyone equiped with plasma. Should have an earlier save, play the waiting game a bit longer then try again I guess. :)

Edit: Quoted wrong post.  :-X
« Last Edit: February 09, 2014, 03:48:50 pm by Jelle »

umiman

• Bay Watcher
  • Voice Fetishist
    • View Profile
« Reply #7751 on: February 09, 2014, 04:32:37 pm »

The longer you wait, the worse the retaliatory attack is.

Maybe.

I don't really know.

I rush through my impossible games and still have to fight about 7 - 11 Mechtoids every time.

Mageziya

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
    • Derp
« Reply #7752 on: February 09, 2014, 04:57:26 pm »

While I've only played once, I have to say, Base Defense was my favorite mission.

I especially like how it makes you realize how capable your soldiers are. That  group of ballistic rookies and the one laser, armor-less assault? Next thing you know a Mectoid and a Beserker are dead because of them, at the cost a of a few lives, however. Over a few turns a handful of heavily armed troops and a swarm of rookies end up maiming the hoard of Mectoids thrown at you, and it is satisfying. Or, at least in retrospect it is.

GreatWyrmGold

• Bay Watcher
    • View Profile
« Reply #7753 on: February 09, 2014, 06:57:57 pm »

I wouldn't be able to get to it, because I still can't get the base assault mission to work. Which lets me segue to...

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.
Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)
There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.
I found the program again since Borderlands 2 is free for the weekend and is giving me the same BSOD that X-Com gives. It's called Orochi-CEG. In retrospect since reading that it has something to do with processors and not video card problems, I'm unsure if your problem is the same as mine, but I figured I would post about it regardless.
I hope you're not offended by this, but once more I'd like to ask for someone to confirm what Duuvian is saying here.
Sig

Duuvian

• Bay Watcher
  • Internet ≠ Real Life
    • View Profile
« Reply #7754 on: February 09, 2014, 07:39:21 pm »

I wouldn't be able to get to it, because I still can't get the base assault mission to work. Which lets me segue to...

Annoyed by that $20 I spent on a game that apparently overloads my video driver thingy, I decide to try something...interesting.
Who wants to take bets on how long I last on Impossible difficulty? (Also, all of the base Second Wave adjustments were enabled.)
There is a fix to the video card problem. It's actually an issue with Steam. There is a third party program which disables something called 'Steam CEG' or something like that, which will make the game run properly though it has to be run prior to starting the game every time you restart your computer.
I found the program again since Borderlands 2 is free for the weekend and is giving me the same BSOD that X-Com gives. It's called Orochi-CEG. In retrospect since reading that it has something to do with processors and not video card problems, I'm unsure if your problem is the same as mine, but I figured I would post about it regardless.
I hope you're not offended by this, but once more I'd like to ask for someone to confirm what Duuvian is saying here.

I couldn't run the game at all after someone gifted me a free version on Steam. I ran Orochi-CEG and it works perfectly fine. When I made the first post it had been a half a year or more since I had used it, and I thought it fixed something with the video card. Now however I think it fixes something to do with the motherboard and/or processor. So now I don't think it would fix your problem, unless you are getting a BSOD which mentions a processor cycle error or something along those lines, which is what I was getting.
FINISHED original composition:
https://app.box.com/s/jq526ppvri67astrc23bwvgrkxaicedj

Sort of finished and awaiting remix due to loss of most recent song file before addition of drums:
https://www.box.com/s/s3oba05kh8mfi3sorjm0 <-zguit
Pages: 1 ... 515 516 [517] 518 519 ... 625